News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Favorite house that is in play!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 02:55:20 AM »
In a biography of Hughes I read, it claimed he was a very competitive player, and one of his tricks was to arrange for the aspiring starlet he had spent the night with to wave to him from the balcony as his game passed.  This appearance would be far more distracting to his opponent as Hughes made sure she would be naked when she made her appearance. :o
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 02:55:55 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Agman

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 09:39:52 AM »
Hitchcock's house, indeed, sat off one of the fairways at Bel-Air. I remember he'd put a sign at the boundary line suggesting -- in a Hitchcockian way, of course, complete with profile if I recall it right -- that trespassing to track down errant shots was not recommended. The sign remained for at least a decade after his death. Which seems fitting...

js  

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 09:56:50 AM »
Two houses that come to mind for me are:

1)  The house with the enormous glass window that overlooks the first fairway at Bodega Bay.  Golfer's left on this dogleg right, the window is perfectly sited for a pull hook left on the first tee shot of the day.

2)  It is surprising that no one has mentioned the Joe Dey's old house behing the 10th green at WFW.  I think that it has one of the best views in golf back towards the clubhouse.  I have yet to thin one there.

JWK

Gene Greco

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 10:00:57 AM »
    The  one  that immediately came to mind is Neil's cousin's house in back of the 10th green at Winged Foot West. That's the house Hogan was referring to when he said of the 10th, "It is a 3 iron into some guys living room."

The other is at a par three course I used to take Christian to when he was younger. A small red shack which housed the "proshop" and cashier is situated in back of the second green, a 110 yd par 3. Christian repeatedly hit this building and the woman always would run out and look at ME with a scowl. I'd point at the three foot tall little boy and shrug my shoulders but she never bought it.  
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

SPDB

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 11:34:16 AM »
James -
Joe Dey never lived in Mamaroneck.  Like Tom Paul, he was a Gold Coast swell.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 11:34:34 AM by SPDB »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 11:59:28 AM »
The Clubhouse at NGLA on # 1 and # 18.

James Keever,

My son  bounced a few balls off of more than a few homes surrounding Bodega Harbor.

Have you ever played the upper tee on # 16 ?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »
Have you ever played the upper tee on # 16 ?

I have, several times.  Hell of a long carry required, very fun.  But the lower tee is fun also - one can go right at the green.  

And there are MANY houses there that are right in play on that golf course... several have been rented by the Huckaby family.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:04:07 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
When I was in college (20 years ago) there was a house on the corner of a short, sharp dogleg right par four at Rio Verde outside of Scottsdale.  We always went right over the house.  

I'd be interested in whether the hole has since been redesigned.  

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 12:56:41 PM »
Pat -

I can't remember if I did or did not play the upper tee on #16 as I played their in 1988.  I do remember taking iron off of the first tee to avoid buying a window>

JWK

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 09:13:51 AM »
The Barn that can be carried on the 6th hole tee shot at Five Farms.

Seen here and is a good aiming point for the drive (can even aim farther left for real big hitters):

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back