News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

MacKenzie's Northwoods
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:18:12 PM »
I stumbled across a MacKenzie course in sonoma county CA.  www.northwoodgolf.com

I do not think I have ever seen fairways that narrow.  Does anyone have additional info on it?  Upon reading the website it almost appears they are fishing to give MacKenzie credit for the design, yet it appears he was hardly involved.

Still a great little 9 hole golf course in good shape.  Does not seem to have changed since it was built.  An untouched MacKenzie original?

Troy

Mike Benham

Re:MacKenzie's Northwoods
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »
Here is a previous topic on Northwood from 2004 ...

Northwood  Topic from 2004
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »
The Bohemian Club connection tells me this was the real Mackenzie deal.  Proably Dr.MacK's shortest course (excepting Dalmunzie, of course).

Troy Alderson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 03:41:49 PM »
Mike,
Thank you, that answered my questions.  :) Why do ruin a golf course with houses?

Troy

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:41:41 PM »
Rumor has it that the trees are so abundant at Northwoods, that one can literally experience it's very own eco-system, where the dew and humidity reigns supreme 90% of the day.

I have a plan that Ron Fream once gave me regarding his (ahem) remodel work at Northwoods. It involved raising the entire sight two feet or more, thus avoiding the yearly flooding that occurs there off of the river. I guess the water table is REALLY LOW.

None of the plan drawings look particularly MacKenzie, and I've always swore I was going to visit there someday for a quick round while taking a break from grape juice testing in Sonoma.

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:05:31 PM »
Tommy - You should go there some day - just to see the trees there. They are massive specimens. They are so big and tall you cant capture their scale with a camera. If ever there was a course that should never do any tree removal this is it. The course certainly isnt worth cutting those trees down for.

Think of it as a nature walk with golf clubs. It will be even better if you go to a couple of the Russian River wineries beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 06:06:09 PM by Evan_Green »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »
Might just have to do that someday, maybe during a KP Cup @ Meadow Club!

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 06:20:14 PM »
We stopped in on our way up to Bandon in June and it was well worth the time to stretch our legs. A few cool features here and there, and the price was reasonable.
   The pro there insisted the furthest green from the pro shop, a par 3 hole, has its original green, but just looking at the ground around the green there I would be shocked if it was the original.
   The first green has an interesting roll at the back. Its no Sheep Ranch, but worth a stop.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 07:04:18 PM »
"If ever there was a course that should never do any tree removal this is it. The course certainly isnt worth cutting those trees down for."

Evan:

Now there's a statement by an intelligent and discrimminating man who takes everything into consideration before saying something. Congratulations, I'm very proud of you for that remark, particularly on this website.  ;)

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 07:21:17 PM »
 The key reason why trees need to remain there is that the course was designed with them in mind and I'll bet they were as imposing then as they are now.
AKA Mayday

Evan_Green

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »
Thank you Tom.

To get kudos from the most prolific poster of all times certainly makes my day  8)

Evan_Green

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 07:23:07 PM »
The key reason why trees need to remain there is that the course was designed with them in mind and I'll bet they were as imposing then as they are now.

Mayday- Yes i'm sure you're right, these aren't the types of trees that spring up and out in a few decades...

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 01:29:08 AM »
Tommy - You should go there some day - just to see the trees there. They are massive specimens. They are so big and tall you cant capture their scale with a camera. If ever there was a course that should never do any tree removal this is it. The course certainly isnt worth cutting those trees down for.

Think of it as a nature walk with golf clubs. It will be even better if you go to a couple of the Russian River wineries beforehand.

First time I saw the giant redwoods, they left me in awe.  I thought I was in God's chapel.  Cutting them down would be sacrilege to me.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 12:10:37 PM »
Might just have to do that someday, maybe during a KP Cup @ Meadow Club!

Tommy,

Is that a cat you have in that bag?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »
Mike - I must admit I had the same thoughts... and now with yesterday's KPV topic mysteriously deleted... well... minds are racing as to Tommy's "announcement forthcoming."

All I can say is that if it is to be held at Meadow Club, we are all in for a BIG treat.  And I'd be particularly stoked because it's 90 minutes or so from my house.

;D

Oh yeah, Northwood is maybe an hour's drive further north, maybe less.  Some other rather nice courses are in the area as well.

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »
Mike,
    DUH! I doubt there are many rocks denser than me.  :P
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 06:19:59 PM »
Ed, What do you have against the rocks? ;)

Actually, I'll hide this fact hear and tell you that your going to have plenty of time to get ready for KPV. Plenty of time. It's going to be a bit later in the year this time, but it will be well worth it, and for a clue, its going to be warm outside. All the more reason for everyone to have a great time because that's what the KP Cup is all about, right?

Another clue is that we're adding something that hasn't been done before at a KP Cup, architecturally, these courses are going to be the best of the particular area. As soon as I get everything finalized, the announcement will be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:20:45 PM by Thomas Naccarato »

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 10:44:32 PM »
Tommy,
   As long as you tell me we're playing somewhere then I will patiently wait for the announcement. When you say later, what month are we talking?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 11:21:49 PM »
Ed,
An announcement will be forthcoming. That's all I can say at the moment.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 09:56:29 AM »
The Trees!
It's impossible to judge distance by eye as they overwhelm
any impression you may have.Well worth playing as it's simply one of a kind.
Also,these are second growth redwoods,The first growth was cut by the Russians when they built their fort.After all,you are playing a course that's bordered by the Russian River.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back