News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Books
« on: December 01, 2005, 05:21:13 AM »
I have recently purchased several golf books.  The first I read was G. Shack's Cypress Point.  I bought this book on a whim as a possible gift for a friend and because it has always been one of the three unobtainable grails for myself (the other two being Sand Hills and Shinny).  However, I couldn't help taking a quick peek.  I think the book will remain in my hands thank you very much.  This book is superb, I have not seen a better history book on a club.  The photos are outstanding and are joined with outstanding commentary.  I would have liked to see contemporary photos as well to make a comparison of eye candy, but nevermind, the book will do as a substitute for actually playing the course.  Well worth the purchase price.

I just finished Lines of Charm by Shack as well.  A good compilation of quotes and some good sketches, but not a must by any means.  Still, I enjoyed it.  I did find a few oddities in the appendix.  Perhaps someone can help me out.  Geoff doesn't give credit to S. Thompson for Highland Links.  He mentions the Alberta courses and St Georges, but omits HL.  Additionally, Geoff doesn't give credit to Simpson for Cruden Bay.  Well, he does in a way, but under the banner of Fowler.  I was under the impression that Simpson was the main man there.

I also purchased British Golf Links by Hutchinson.  What a book!  This is a wonderful snapshot of history.  The photos and commentary really highlight golf life from a bygone era.  I also enjoyed the details such as how much subs and green fees were, even though I can't decipher old money!

The fourth book on the list is Scottish Golf Links by Lowe, Joy and Phillips.  Excellent photography, but I must say I am bit disappointed.  Perhaps this is one coffee table book too much for me.  It is very good as a coffee table ornament, but not worth buying if you have a few other books of this ilk.  

The last purchase was Woodhall Spa by Latham.  I had to buy this because to date, The Hotchkin Course is the best inland course I have played.  The book is unusual for several reasons.  First, it is a history of the architecture of the course combined with an explanation of the strategy details.  Second, in addition to some excellent photos, old and new, there are also aerial views of each hole demonstrating the development from 1935 to the present.  Third, the book is divided into clear sections of history, development and playing the course which make the book very easy to follow.  I spose one drawback of this organizational method is that the book does tend to read a bit like textbook.  Despite this minor criticism, the book is a huge success and deserves a look.  

Next on the list is Paul Daley's Vol 3.  Anybody know his website?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sébastien Dhaussy

Re:Books
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:38:50 AM »
Hi Sean,

Here is the website : http://www.fullswinggolf.com.au/
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:24:48 AM »
Sean - I own most of those books, but not Woodhall Spa- and Geoff's latest book in the post. I agree re Cypress Point, though I confess I have not read it all. I just love that picture of Mackenzie playing the 16th ( If i recall right). Hutchinson's book is great, though I need to give it more attention. The Lowe/Phillips book is more coffee table - but still does a good job of stimulating the senses!

I will buy Woodhall on your recommendation.

Are you free Sat to play Huntercombe?

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:25 AM »
Sean -

Where did you get your Woodhall Spa book?

Thanks.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:00:21 AM »
Mr Grant is a good guy - picks up the phone himself as I recall, and put an extra book for free into my order! Knows how to keep his customers happy. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back