News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Montgomery, AL suggestions
« on: November 29, 2005, 02:08:44 PM »
A friend of mine is heading towards Montgomery and is wondering about any courses in the area besides the RTJ courses.  Not looking for any private connections and could care less about architecture.  I'm sure with this group conditioning/price are most important factors.  Any ideas?

Bill_McBride

Re:Montgomery, AL suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:29:55 PM »
Dale, good idea to avoid the RTJ trail courses at Prattville, 20 minutes north of Montgomery, but the Greenville course (3 nines, called Cambrian Ridge) is terrific, probably the most fun on the Trail -- Canyon and Sherling nines.  Greenville is maybe 35 minutes due south of Montgomery at high speed down I-85.  There are huge elevation changes on the Canyon nine and it is just a kick to play.  Carts only, no way you could walk those suckers!

I don't know anything else about Montgomery golf unfortunately.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:33:26 PM »
I like the courses Bill mentioned plus the ones at Opelika. I am not a big fan of the RTJ Trail courses in Montgomery. I am also weak on other courses in the city.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:22:02 PM »
John, I didn't mention Auburn/Opelika (RTJ Grand National) although they are my personal favorite courses on the trail - very "Augusta National" in flavor with those plunging fairways, huge greens with lots of contour and big pine-bordered holes.  I didn't mention them because they are quite a ways from Montgomery, I think maybe 90 minutes once you drive back in there.

It appears your Bayou Bengals got quite a scare from the Arkies on Saturday.  Congratulatons on winning the division and on to Atlanta!

John Goodman

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:38:06 AM »
If your friend is heading south to Montgomery from Bham on I-65, he might also consider Ballantrae (in Pelham, AL), about 30 minutes south of Bham and an hour from Montgomery.  Cupp-deisgned muni, firm bermuda greens, a fun course.  Also Timberline, which is at the Montevallo exit off I65 (pretty close to halfway between Montgomery and Bham).  It's a public Pate redo of a course called Buxahatchee Country Club.  Also small, firm bermuda greens, a little on the short side but fun to play, and very well routed considering that a railroad runs through it.  I think it's about fifty bucks at Ballantrae, forty at Timberline.  Neither is a great walking course, though you can walk.      

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »
Thanks Bill, I got to play with John Goodman the morning after the Alabama win. I will be in Atlanta firday afternoon in full Tiger focus on beating those Georgia Bulldogs.  The wimpy tigers have already had their way with them. Now it is time for the real Tigers to make them wish they only played an 11 game schedule and could then scoot off to florida for big 10 dog food for the holidays. However they have asked to play 12 and bitter defeat is in the cards.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:04:41 PM »
".......bitter defeat is in the cards."

A classic from Tiger Berhardt!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »
Tiger,

Word has it that Fulmer (aka The Great Pumpkin) sent out 35,000 e-mails apologizing for the 2005 football season.  Did you get one?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:38:09 PM »
Mike and Bill, The Tigers were Fulmers only moment of happiness in a year that ended with him sleeping face down in the stinch of Commadore stools. The whole SEC world was laughing as the Tennessee River reversed course and flowed backwards that Saturday afternoon. Now on to the matters at hand. I just upgraded my tickets and frankly will not spend another moment on anything other than beating those georgia dogs. Go Tigers
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:38:54 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »
It's great to see someone with a true fiery passion.

It's rare indeed to see someone with two -- the LSU Tigers and classical golf architecture.

What a guy!  8)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 11:08:34 PM »
Bill, I blush as one collects his Xed out dog stickers and packs for Atlanta. Carlyle is alive and going to the game in black no doubt.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:14:15 PM »
Tiger, fess up.  Fulmer and my beloved Volunteers did you a big favor.  Otherwise you'd be sitting around trying to medicate your high blood pressure with a nice glass of Tubberville whine and making the foolish argument that your Tigers are in the same league with Texas and Southern Cal.  

I'll be rooting for your boys Saturday but remember, as a late great southern humorist once said:  "That dog'll bite chu!"

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back