News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Bellport Country Club and Raynor?
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:20:33 AM »
Seth Raynor is listed as the architect of record (1899).  I know it's currenty operated by the Village of Bellport and I understand it's recently undergone some renovation but that is about all I know.

Does anyone have any additional information about Bellport or the work done there, is it really a Raynor design and if so is any Raynor left?

Thanks.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Bellport Country Club and Raynor?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:54:44 PM »
Well I played Bellport yesterday and the Raynor templates were more subtle than most I've played (in fact I've had trouble really identifying obvious templates, which is refreshing in my book).  

Holes 9-18 are very high on the linksland fun factor.  Not long at par 71 and just over 6300 yds the wind kept things plenty interesting.  

While the first several holes wind through some encroaching trees the green contouring is fairly severe for the small greens and the recent bunker renovation has yielded some interesting and challenging bunker play.  One bunker that was particularly impressive was on number 1 green and ran around the entire right side of 1 green and up to and behind number 17 green (a tree stump still remained on the slope of the bunker behind 17 which is a slight dog leg left with an Alps approach, quite a fun hole even with wedge in your hand as a long cross bunker in front of the green is obscured from view by the mounding (only the very top of the pin is visable)).  

#10 is sort of a combo between Eden and Short and at 132 yards with a severly slopped green from back to front it's a blast with the prevailing wind howling over your right shoulder.  The hole plays East over a canal that forces a diagnal carry from front right to back left so the prevailing South wind will actually knock the ball down and toward the left side which is the longer carry over the canal.  

Another hole of considerable note is the 380 dogleg right par 4 15th which was redone by RTJ and which to me usually means  :'( it actually made me :) widely.  The tee shot plays due South into the prevailing wind and there is a large chasm bunker running about fourty yards along the inside of the dogleg like a boomerang.  So with a North wind a heroic carry over the bunker is very possible.  To make the tee shot more intimidating its up hill and slightly blind with the far side of the doglegged fairway hidden and all one can really see is the high fescue and bay that awaits a tee shot blasted through the fairway.  

Into the wind that was out of the Southeast I hit it solid about 270 and just left of the right side bunker and was left with a 110 yard approach.  However, because the angle is much different as the approach plays more to the West/Southwest it was now severly downwind from left to right, which made even a sandwedge a lot of fun and also brings all kinds of half shots into play.    

Lots of fun out there and whether or not there's a lot of Raynor left it is definitely worth seeing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back