News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

The Cut Golf Course
« on: November 29, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »
Anyone played it?

Matthew Mollica review:  

http://www.iseekgolf.com/coursereviews/review.php?cr_id=21

It looks interesting depending on how tight it is.

Tom_Doak

Re:The Cut Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »
Looks like a great piece of property, and an interesting course as well.  There are some more pictures of it at the back of Paul Daley's latest volume.

Has anyone else played it?  What are the details like?  How good is the greens contouring?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »
Talk about a big difference in color between the greens and fairways (if those are the greens I'm looking at)!  What makes them that particularly striking shade of aquamarine?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:46:06 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Scott Witter

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:10:59 PM »
Tom, If you go to the website there is a series of three pictures for each hole and one is if the green.  Only by looking at the pictures... mind you, I don't think the surfaces are what you may have hoped for based on the routing and what in fact does appear to be an interesting layout and clearly a great site.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »
I was quite turned off by this first view...
Tim - while those aqua green covers are temporary, that cart path isn't.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 07:46:26 PM »
I think the weird green color for the greens is hydroseed ... I can't imagine why you would cover greens in that climate, and if you'll notice, a couple of the fairways in the distance are still dirt.  I think the photo was taken during grow-in.

That is the second-worst cart path I've ever seen.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:30:22 PM »
Tom,

If that's the second worst cart path you've seen, I'd like to hear about the first!
jeffmingay.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 08:33:22 PM »
That's a cart path!?

I thought it was a very weird bunker.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 12:44:28 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks these images appear to be computer generated? ???

The photos that accompany Matthew's review are much better, and actually appear flattering.

TK

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 03:44:45 PM »
A couple of points to make after the posts above.

The aerial photo must have been taken during grow in, hence the appearance of the 18th fairway (dirt) and the aquamarine colour of several greens.

The first greensite was a planning hassle from what I could gather from the designer (James Wilcher). He had to reduce the depth of the green so as to preserve some native shrubs on the edge of the dune. The cart path from the first fairway to the second tee has to be where it is, there is simply no other position for it. The path doesn't impact on play as much as it looks in that pic, but along with most of you (I suspect), I'd like to see a total absence of cart paths on courses, especially in such locales.

The green contouring is cool Tom. There's good internal movement in many but not all. I'd like 9 to have been very different, but all in all, they are a very good set of greens. Open fronts on some longer holes, and really precise wedges needed on the short 4's. No exaggerated spines or curves. Cool skyline green on 12 like 10 at Barnbougle. The 16th is sensational, like 16 at Paraparaumum Beach. A tiny sliver of green on a very short par three, nestled into a hillside oblique to the play line from the tee. The greens are bigger than those at St. Andrews Beach, and likewise, are quite firm.

The pics of the course (in the review and on the club's website) are disappointing. They capture little of the cool design and convey only a portion of the excitement of holes like 3,12, and the last 5 holes. I'm not that great at taking pics on course, but I'm confident mine are miles better than those you have seen. The place is really special looking. For those aussies and other familiar with the courses, think of a blend between National (Old) and NSW.

The site is sensational. A well routed course. Great fun, and intelligently designed. Hard work to get to mind you, at 90mins south of Perth.

Matthew

P.S. What's the worst cart path TD?
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 03:51:42 PM »
The worst cart path was on a par-3 at Traverse City Country Club, which I used to drive by every day on my way to the office.  Front right of the green on a long par-3, similar to the one shown above but starting from the foot of the tee.

I told the superintendent it was the worst I'd seen, and they moved it a year ago.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 05:43:55 PM »
I wonder if the photo is a bit deceiving.  From looking at the map of the hole, it appears that the path is well short of the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back