News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Golf in/around Geneva
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:39:41 AM »
Are there any golf courses worth taking a look at or even playing around Geneva, Switzerland?  I'll be there for a few days in the middle of December.  Maybe it will be too cold to play but if there's some architecture worth taking a look at, I will have half of one day available.  Any suggestions?

Dave_Miller

Re:Golf in/around Geneva
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »
Are there any golf courses worth taking a look at or even playing around Geneva, Switzerland?  I'll be there for a few days in the middle of December.  Maybe it will be too cold to play but if there's some architecture worth taking a look at, I will have half of one day available.  Any suggestions?

Wayne:
Aren't there only Mountains in Switzerland ;D ;)
Best
Dave
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:23:00 PM by Dave_Miller »

Jay Cox

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
Wayne,
The three courses most worth checking out are probably Geneva Golf Club (1972 RTJ Sr. design, walking only with mandatory caddies (!), only a couple of miles from the center of Geneva), Domaine Imperial (1987 Pete Dye, further out along Lake Geneva, where they played the European Masters and the European Amateur), and Lausanne (built in 1921 with the greens overhauled recently, also a decent distance away from the city).  I haven't seen any of them, but from the comments of my cousin (who lives in Geneva) I'd be most interested to see Domaine Imperial.

I imagine all will still be playable; most of the non-mountain clubs in Switzerland seem to try to stay open year-round, though sometimes with less than full success.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:59:18 PM »
Don't forget banks.  

Dave,
Hate to say it but the real world awaits.  Time to get a paying gig so I can afford my vices which is why I'm going to Geneva to meet with my new partners.  I'll be working out of Philadelphia, Princeton and NYC so I'll be staying put.

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:03:39 PM »
Jay,

Our very own RT did Domaine Imperial for Pete Dye.  He said, "Many constraints to make it but was fun for me basically on my own and just 26 years old when I came over, but perhaps as you are in Geneva try and go vist Golf de Cologny. Or Geneva Golf CLub.  Its an old Geneva money club, no noveau riche allowed, and RTJ Sr. did it, Les Furber built it back in the time.  Long aircraft tees.  Might be fun to see if you can get on."

I'm mostly interested in classic era courses so I may take a look at Lausanne since I will be there on Sunday to visit a long-time friend.  Otherwise, I'll take a look at seeing/playing one of the others closer to Geneva.  Thanks for your help.

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:17:48 PM »
Wayne

Hopefully RT will chime in, as he is THE gca man on this topic, but if he doesn't, just take my advice:

1.  Pig out on fondue
2.  Buy a watch and/or a cuckoo clock
3.  Try to track down one or more of TE Paul's secret bank accounts
4.  Don't mention the War

Enjoy!

Ricyh

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:31:25 PM »
RT mentioned fondue and also Filet de Perche a speciality at some restaurant he mentioned in Gland.    He said, "Some do it in butter (with chives) in most cases, its a bit rich for me the butter bit, but this resto in Gland has a lovely white sauce (SAUCE MAISON) with those exquiste chives in it."  I'm gonna get me some of that, too.

I am looking for a watch.  Anything to watch out for when purchasing?  Pun intended.

Tom Paul's secret bank accounts would be a nice find.  That is if that sainted aunt of his left him anything after all her charitable work.  

If I find any I won't have to take the job. I'll be on Easy Street...you know where Featherfield Farm is ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:32:09 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back