News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Top100Guru

Burnham & Berrow Golf Club, circa 1890
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:09 PM »
Anybody ever hear of this place? Here is a little tidbit I found on this course.

Burnham & Berrow Golf Club was formed in 1890 and a nine hole course laid out on a strip of land known as the Warren between the prosperous town of Burnham and the relatively poor village of Berrow. This juxtaposition of opposites was bound to create problems and it took twenty years before harmony prevailed. J H Taylor, the first club professional, played an important part in this by becoming the idol of the young boys of Berrow such as the Whitcombes, the Bradbeers and the Days. In those early years of the Club, eighteen boys from Berrow became professional golfers. By 1939 the figure had risen to over forty.

Approach to the 1stThe development of the course took thirty years to reach today’s shape and just about every one of the leading course designers during that period had an input into the course architecture. Herbert Fowler and Hugh Alison were members of Burnham and both had had an important part to play in improving the links. So to a lesser extent did Harold Hilton and Dr. Alistair MacKenzie but the shape of today’s course is mainly due to Harry Colt.

Burnham has hosted many important amateur events. Over forty national and international Championships have been held at Burnham and each has an interesting story to tell: Joyce Wethered at her peak failing to win the British ladies, Michael Bonallack getting up and down in two on twenty two occasions to beat Alan Thirwell in the 1963 English Amateur Championship and the unbelievable fightback by Ireland to nearly snatch the Raymond trophy from England in 1997.

Burnham & Berrow continues to evolve to offer the golfer an ever improving challenge.

Sean_A

Re:Burnham & Berrow Golf Club, circa 1890 New
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:25:11 PM »
McC

The 2nd

The blind, punchbowl 3rd

The 18th.  Tel-Boy never gives a putt. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:43:55 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marc Haring

Re:Burnham & Berrow Golf Club, circa 1890
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »
That #18 green reminds me. I had a great day out there in about July of this year with some friends of mine. Perfect late evening, a bit of breeze to make things interesting and after some twitchy early stuff I managed to get the big stick going and played well for me. In fact I got it to level par on that 18th tee before my arse went.

As one of the many side games we play 'snakes' which is where for every three putt money is put in the pot and the last person to three stab owes everyone else what's in the pot at the time. I did my usual nervy run past the hole followed by a jab right, the next Guy then did the same from about 20 foot and the last one who was so busy laughing forgot to concentrate and managed to turn one shot into three from ten foot.

Oh how we laughed.

Top100Guru

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »
Great Info guys. I had missed the earlier thread here on GCA. I may end up very near this location in April.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back