News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Hartlepool
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »
Hartlepool

This is a part links course on the north-east coast of England.  The club is currently celebrating its centenary.  It occupies a secretive piece of land which is only accessible by road through a single, narrow tunnel under an enormous railway embankment. The course has had a number of incarnations on roughly this site, with James Braid perhaps the most notable contributor.  Many of the rebuilds have been occasioned by the sale of land or minerals and a major sale of mineral-rich land to Steetley caused a considerable rearrangement in recent years, the redesign largely being the work of Malcolm Cole, the club's own professional.  Coastal erosion is an ongoing problem and as some of the ground is an SSSI there are many restrictions on what may or may not be done to the ground.  It is one of the friendliest clubs you'll ever encounter with a very competitive membership - they've been national champions - fostering men's and women's internationals, most recently Graeme Storm, Amateur Champion in 1999.  The course is not long at 6255 yards playing to a standard scratch of 70, but there is tons of character and several very good holes.  The photos were taken in November last year, so please excuse the autumnal flavour.

1st hole a short par 4 heading away from the dunes, but although it looks featureless there is lots of trouble:

in the form of depressions feeding inexorably into this little stream.

The greens committee has for many years been committed to serious reconstruction and rehabilitation of the course over the winter season.  The compact nature of the site means that wear is considerable, especially in the restricted parts of the dunes.

Looking back from 6th green.  The tees are on the edge of a gully, with a blind drive over a marker post in the dunes, with the shore on the left.  The raised green is typically secretive.

View from 8th tee, a big drive over rough country to an angled fairway - bite off as much as you dare - very exposed to the wind.  There is a narrow entrance to the green on this long par 4.

10th hole with the utilitarian clubhouse in the background. The drive is on the flat, but the second (or second and third) shot is made up to a col in the dunes when suddenly the green becomes visible:

10th green.

10th again, the low winter sun showing the ripples in the ground.

The 11th is a terrific hole played from a low tee across a sandy gully and uphill to this green, about 200 yards from the tee.  There is a nasty pot bunker front right of the green and dreadful trouble should you stray too far left.

12th - another long short hole, dropping down from the dunes.  You can get wicked forward bounces if you drop short and hit the down slope of one of the ridges.

13th is a quirky short par 4 with a drive to a heavily sloping fairway and an approach over a gully to a green steeply raised at the rear, and with a pot bunker front right.  The railway embankment which separates the club from the rest of the world is clearly visible.

14th, a longish par 4 with a drive over a gully to a raised fairway which rolls over the dunes, with OOB to the left.  The proximity of industry whose riches have kept the club solvent is evident.

14th approach - even this close to industry there is a sense of space unique to linksland.

No they're not rugby posts - the flag poles beside the 18th green - the view I get from the clubhouse while working at the club.  Not a bad place to be.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 12:27:37 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Jason Hines

Re:Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:23:39 AM »
Hello Mark,

Good photos.  Would you by chance have a photo of the 12th green and the clubhouse?

Does the club have a website?

Jason

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 12:22:54 PM »
I'm afraid I don't have a closer picture of the 12th green, and the clubhouse only appears peripherally in the photo of the 10th. The club has a website: http://www.hartlepoolgolfclub.co.uk/

here are a few photos that I missed:

Pot bunkers on left front of 16th green.

16th green.  The course used to extend behind the big grass wall which was built to keep everyone from falling into the quarrying.  The clubhouse used to be there.

15th tee, driving downhill to an angled fairway with a deliciously bunkered green.

The said deliciously bunkered green, #15.

This is what happens if you take photos and don't make precise notes.  I think it's the 14th green.  This fairway had, until recently, a rocket launching post in the middle of the fairway, left over from the war years.  It was dismantled for safety reasons, but there is an underground movement trying to get a replica erected!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:14:08 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:19:59 AM »
Mark

Pics aren't showing for me ???
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:33:26 AM »
I can't see the pictures either, Mark.  And, as I go to Hartlepool every month or so now, I'd like to know if it is worth a visit!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:46:20 AM »
Sorry, don't know why they don't show.  Anybody know?  They apparently show for Jason and they show for me.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 11:00:26 AM »
Mark

I think the site you have used may have a limit on bandwidth and stop the hot link after that limit is met.

I think they show for you and Jason because you both opened the psost before the limit was hit and they are now already in your computer's cache memory.

Well that's my guess, at least.

I use Photobucket...it's free to 50Mb with a high bandwidth limit.  $25 a year for no limits.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 11:13:29 AM »
This is BT with, it is claimed, no limits as part of my Broadband package.  I used Photobucket for a while but they cut me off because I didn't purchase enough photos (none to be precise), ditto Mystic - both got fed up.  I can't see this being bandwidth exceeded as I've only put the Hartlepool photos on there - and Sandy Lodge today, but I've not risked posting them on GCA yet.

Jason Hines

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 02:13:11 PM »
Mark,

I did see all the photos initially, but half from your first and none from your second post are showing.

Jason

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 08:20:51 AM »
Mark
That’s a shame about the pix. BT have teamed up with Yahoo who for a while now have been using a script that diverts requests to a non-existent URL once a certain limit is exceeded. Presumably the  ‘unlimited’ offer only refers to your downloads, not uploads.
www.ourmedia.org - an offshoot of the well-respected archive.org - is free and claims no bandwidth restrictions. Might be worth a go.
Rich
Seaton Carew’s the best Teesside links IMHO but Hartlepool’s definitely worth a game if you’re in the area - and unlike its neighbour doesn’t require you to carry around a TOC-style strip of astroturf for winter fairway shots.
 I went to Hartlepool in January and it was impressively dry underfoot. Though it’s all good turf the terrain is otherwise schizophrenic - about half-a-dozen holes in the dunes, the rest very flat. I'd happily play it again.
This snap  gives an idea:

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 08:30:31 AM »
Andy,  Thanks for the info - I'll give it a try.

Mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back