GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Caledonia #9

<< < (7/9) > >>

Brent Hutto:
Hey Mike,

What if there were a tee box somewhere over around the chowder shack/practice green? If I can correctly recall the relative layout of the place wouldn't that be aiming sort of up the long dimension of the green?

Having that plus the current tee box would give a Tobacco Road #6 style of alternative setup with one tee playing wide/shallow and the other narrow/deep. Plus I think teeing off from the other spot would make the hole longer, if so quite a challenge with the tilt of the green (away from the shot) and the bunkers.

Michael Whitaker:
Brent - I think Tom Doak made a great point about #9 possibly being a precursor of #6 at Tobacco Road. But, before he built #6 at TB he built #14 at True Blue, which has the super-wide, multi-level teeing ground that you find at TB.

As you and I discussed about Strantz courses, every one I have seen has a collection of outstanding and creative par threes. I've never played the Virginia courses, but all of the NC & SC courses have par threes that offer various options of wide teeing grounds and/or multi-section greens. The exceptions I can think of are #17 at Caledonia and #11 at True Blue.

Tim Gavrich:
#14 at True Blue, in my opinion, is a worse hole than #9 at Caledonia.  I think that TB14's green is too big.  From the tips, it's 135 yards downhill to a huge target.  I don't think it forces as much thought out of the golfer as Cal9.  Also, the penalty for missing the green is less severe than Cal9.  There is too much room in proportion to the length of the hole.  Perhaps this came from the softening that was done shortly after the course opened (I'd love to see some before/after pictures of the changes that were made at TB).

Based on the last few posts, new thought.  What, in your informed opinions, are the three best Strantz par threes?  Perhaps overall best, or by length from the tips; short(sub 160)-medium(161-195)-long(196+).  But from thinking about it, the three best overall one-shotters may all be shorter.  I'll give it a think.

Ted Kramer:

--- Quote from: Tim Gavrich on November 21, 2005, 07:21:39 PM ---#14 at True Blue, in my opinion, is a worse hole than #9 at Caledonia.  I think that TB14's green is too big.  From the tips, it's 135 yards downhill to a huge target.  I don't think it forces as much thought out of the golfer as Cal9.  Also, the penalty for missing the green is less severe than Cal9.  There is too much room in proportion to the length of the hole.  Perhaps this came from the softening that was done shortly after the course opened (I'd love to see some before/after pictures of the changes that were made at TB).

Based on the last few posts, new thought.  What, in your informed opinions, are the three best Strantz par threes?  Perhaps overall best, or by length from the tips; short(sub 160)-medium(161-195)-long(196+).  But from thinking about it, the three best overall one-shotters may all be shorter.  I'll give it a think.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if I have seen enough of his work to judge, but I'd be very surprised if there are 3 better than #11 Caledonia.

-Ted

Michael Whitaker:
Tim - I'm not sure which hole you are thinking about, but #14 at True Blue is around 160 from the tips... not 135. And green is very segmented so that the effective target areas are small for each pin position. With all the teeing areas and multi-section green there are at least 20 different combinations, each yielding a very different hole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version