GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Caledonia #9

(1/9) > >>

Tim Gavrich:
My father and I were arguing about the ninth hole at Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, a sub-120 par 3.  It's a little disjointed from the rest of the course, since most of the room was used up by the time Strantz had to fit that hole in.  While it's a victim of the lack of room, I really don't think it's such a bad hole.  Sure, it's a wedge to a wide green, but while it's the least difficult hole on the golf course, that's ok because it affords a nice birdie opportunity.

I'm just curious as to the opinions of anyone who has played the hole, to shed a bit of light on it.

Michael Whitaker:
Tim - Did you and your father make birdie?

Brent Hutto:
Tim,

I'm of the opinion that every golf course can benefit from having a "postage stamp" type Par 3 somewhere. Actually, the ninth at Caledonia  is more like a "band-aid" but it only looks to me like there's one easy hole location on that green even with a wedge in hand. With a bit of a breeze I don't think it would be an easy birdie at all with the pin where we played it Saturday.

Mike W,

What can I say? You da man.

A.G._Crockett:
It is an unusual 9th hole, but in every other respect, it is a very good hole.  Short enough for lesser players to survive, but a pretty demanding shot to get close to any pin on the green for better players.  I think it seems a little more disjointed than it is because of the distance from 8 green to 9 tee, and just the fact that it finishes a side.

If that was the only time you've played Caledonia, I guarantee that #9 will grow on you.

Ted Kramer:
That hole is a real downer for me.
#9 is the only thing that prevents me from considering Cal up there with some of the best courses I've ever seen or played. While the 18th is one of my favorite holes, #9 is probably the single worst hole on any course that I really love. . .

-Ted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version