News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Greg Norman, the designer
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:50:53 PM »
I did a search for info about Greg Norman designs a little while ago, but found relatively little.  What is the GCA consensus on his work?  I've only played a couple of his courses (Norman course at Barefoot in Myrtle Beach, and the front nine of the Reserve in Pawleys Island, SC), and I like them, but they weren't mind-blowing or anything.  I'm going to be playing the Great White at Doral in December, and I've been told it's extremely wacky (some say it's tricked-up and stupid).  Is this accurate?  It would help me know what to expect.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:51:13 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Alex_Wyatt

Re:Greg Norman, the designer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »
He is apparently marginally competent, with good influences, and no eye whatsoever. Whether his courses are good or bad depends on which of his assistants is the main guy on the job. Harrison is I believe the good guy.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 10:12:18 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=219
 This is the aerial for the Great White Course at Doral (the Great White is the Second one, Merion is the first course shown).  It looks like it could be disastrous.  As for Norman as an architect, I could not say, only that not all of his stuff is like this, and that his overseas assistant, Bob Harrison, is supposed to be better than his American assistant.  There is a feature interview with Harrison on this site, and for examples of his good work, check out the course profiles for National (Moonah Course) and Nirwana Bali.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:05:14 AM »
I've played the Reserve in Pawley's island Several times.. I really enjoy the course. A very good members course, although I havent tried it from the tips yet..  Better than most of the rest of MYR.

jf

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 10:41:57 AM »
I really disliked Doonbeg in Ireland and I am not sure I can tell you why.  It seemed like they had some great ideas they definitely had a cool location, but something about the end result didn't seem right.  Perhaps this is the "eye" thing earlier posts talk about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back