News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Masters

Golf in Tennessee
« on: November 17, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »
Any suggestions for golf in Tennessee the last week of November?  I'm staying in Nashville but am willing to drive a couple of hours if it means having the opportunity to play an excellent course?  Any help would be appreciated   :)

Andy Troeger

Re:Golf in Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 02:02:42 PM »
Paul,
  The courses I've played in Tenn are all in the Crossville area (about 2 hrs east of Nashville straight down I-40). The two best in that area are Stonehenge at Fairfield Glade (Lee/Roquemore) and Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain (Nicklaus). River Run and Deer Creek are also fun in my opinion, although not necessarily great architecture. A little farther down the road is Renegade Mountain, which Jim Fazio re-did last year. I unfortunately don't know anything about how that turned out (anybody??).

Potential problem is that these courses would all be higher elevation than in Nashville; depending on your luck I would think by this time of year weather might be an issue.

RE Blanks

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
Holston Hills is probably the best Ross I have ever played.  Lookout Mtn is really really good too and trust me it is like nothing else you have ever played.  Both are about 2.5 hours from nashville.

Bill Wernecke Jr

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 03:05:10 PM »
I know Chattanooga is a bit far to go, but if you can get there you will not be disappointed.

I took a trip there based on the course reviews on this website for Lookout Mountain and Black Creek.  For those who appreciate classic architecture, particularly Macdonald / Raynor, they are fantastic.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »
Paul, Belle Meade and GC of Tennessee are wonderful golf experiences. They are very different types of courses.

Chris Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »
Agreed re: Holston Hills.  I played it two years ago in a Mid-Am qualifier and still remember every hole.  There are some tremendously difficult shots, but the challenge does not outweigh the fun factor.  For courses closer to Nashville, you could try the Legends Club in Franklin, which has two courses by Kite/Cupp.  Frankly, there are not alot of GCA-friendly courses in Nashville.  The one that was probably the best was old Richland Country Club, where Amy Alcott won the 1981 Women's Open, which was a Ross with plenty of width and challenge.  Alas, it was plowed under 15 years ago and the club moved to the suburbs where Nicklaus built a course.  

Also agree re: Lookout, but HH is better, in my opinion.  If you can get on Belle Meade, which is quite difficult, it is a fun layout as well.  For public offerings, Harpeth Hills is decent, but the greens are usually somewhat lacking.  

Andy Doyle

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 09:53:52 PM »
I would second the suggestion to drive out to Crossville and play the Bear Trace course at Cumberland Mountain.  I played it twice last June - both coming and going to Nashville for a meeting.

It's built on beautiful rolling farmland, and has a very different feel from the only other Nicklaus course I've played (Great Waters).  I thought it was much more rustic and "natural."  I'll try to post some pictures this weekend (they are all on my office computer so I'll have to retrieve them tomorrow).

It's not very expensive and not very crowded.  I thoroughly enjoyed the place.

Andy

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »
Paul,

Check you IM's.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Paul Masters

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 09:34:47 AM »
Thanks so much for everyone's help!  

Gerry B

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 01:35:04 AM »
even though lookout mtn is technically in georgia -and you will lose 1 hour to time zone change if coming from nashville - it is worth playing -not raynor's best -but some reallly good holes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back