News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:GCA Ryder Cup 2006, Hoylake (update)
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 06:04:43 PM »
I ran into Peter McAvoy at the Walker Cup where he was assisting the GBI captain and I was wearing my Painswick shirt!  He recalled the event quite cheerfully and said what a good time he had; I remember his after dinner speech with a smile on my face!

I'm sure he could be called out of retirement for such a great event.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »
John I was dead tired Sunday morning too. I cannot tell you how happy I am now. I am still humming Tide fight songs and laughing all the way to the elevator. However it is Ole Miss week and one must turn their attention to the task at hand. Go to Hell Ole Miss, Go to Hell. Yes it still sounds good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 10:32:09 PM »
John Goodman, is Birmingham West or East the course that was not worked over by Pete Dye?  Doesn't one of the courses still have a lot of Ross?  Sounds like you guys had a good time, did Tiger murmur "Roll Tide" with each putt he stroked?   ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 10:32:39 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jason McNamara

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 12:53:19 AM »
Thats right, it is called The Buda, Buda Cup or Budapest Cup, but never Pest Cup.  

So, the beautiful flower that is Pest is crushed under the  jackboot of Buda once again.  :'(

But the people that have defied the Mongol hordes and the Sultan’s scimitars will sharpen their 1-irons and hybrid utilities and journey to the  land of lovable moptops  to drive you back into the sea.

Wasn't a whole lot of defiance at Mohacs, however.

So does the winning captain get a statue in Heroes' Square?

Jason (listening to the mop tops, ironically enough)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »
Bill, I did not see much Ross at all. I played the West and I do not think it is better for Dye having been there. It is still a very good course and the routing and basic holes are very good. However the greens are too big and without Ross's character after RTJ Sr. and Dye got through with it. Dye also mounded up the place.

John Goodman

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
John Goodman, is Birmingham West or East the course that was not worked over by Pete Dye?  Doesn't one of the courses still have a lot of Ross?  Sounds like you guys had a good time, did Tiger murmur "Roll Tide" with each putt he stroked?   ::)

The West was definitely redone, first by RTJ and later by Dye.  I don't think Dye worked on the East, but I'm not sure of that.  Tiger is right that there isn't much Ross there any more.  The East doesn't have all the mounding, and the greens are smaller, but the holes are not as well laid out or interesting as those on the West.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »
I really should have deferred these comments to John. It is much better when someone with a command of the language puts the thoughts in writing. Birmingham CC hit me as a course that had three larger than life architects work on it. However the 2nd and 3rd architects seemed to put their stamp on the course with minimal regard for what was there before. I know there are plenty of examples of this but it seems to me that should tarnish the reputation of the architect rather than keep them in the larger than life club. Go to Hell Ole Miss, Go to Hell!! lol
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:07:21 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »
If you can handle part timers I would be interested in playing Hoylake, either on the Monday or the Tuesday.

I would also be interested in a day at Alwoodley/Moortown as I live within a 30 minute drive of both courses.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Philip Gawith

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 12:43:39 PM »
Andrew - yes, part-timers can be accommodated, so stay in touch. Remember that the dinner will be Tuesday evening, so you might want to attend that.

One general point - the Ryder Cup is at the K-Club in Ireland from Sept 22-24. Hopefully the backwash from that event will have disappeared by the time the real event - aka The Buda Cup - gets underway at a much better golf course. ;)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »
Philip

That's fine. I'll keep checking the boards for more information as time progresses.

If the Ryder Cup is only a warm up for the real thing does that mean I'll have to learn to "properly hate Americans" (copyright Paul Casey)?  Will there be "hatred" as Chris DiMarco claims?  ;)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Philip Gawith

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2005, 01:11:54 PM »
Hatred would just be confusing because a good portion of the GCA folk, at least on this side of the water, are such a bunch of mongrels it is difficult to know from day to day which side they will be teeing it up for, and hence who you should be loving/hating. ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
I do think Hatred is harsh. We GCA types only seem to get disturbed when the waitress either cannot keep our pints full or is dreadfully ugly or in the worst of worlds both.

ForkaB

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2005, 02:04:15 PM »
All I care is that nobody has the temerity to disparage the CLAW(tm).

Craig Disher

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »
Philip,
Thanks for your efforts. I'm in and available for all 3 days.

Don't forget that we urged the 3 members who played last May to join us and bring along the Budapest Cup. I'll refer them to this thread and let you know if they're willing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:35:12 PM by Craig Disher »

Craig Disher

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »
So everyone knows what's at stake here (thanks to Peter Mallalieu for the photo and his help on the plinth) -

Philip Gawith

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2005, 03:54:28 AM »
Craig - Great news - and the trophy looks great (well done Sean ;D)

As for the Littlestone guys, let me know - the more the merrier.

Rich - the CLAW has already made an appearance at the Buda event. ;)

BTW - for all you Yankees, front page story in the Financial Times today says "Pound at two-year low against the dollar". Are you guys buying forward, or trusting the trend? ::) ???

James Edwards

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2005, 07:23:38 AM »
Richard,

Its good to see this little idea has taken off to such great heights.... dont you think.

Its about time I get the week to play in one
@EDI__ADI

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2005, 09:20:58 AM »
A single thread featuring "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys" and SEC football.  

Is this a great web-site or what?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2005, 11:20:40 AM »
Mike and a great international golf event as well. James, You might make it tough for the yanks to continue the winning streak.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2005, 11:59:05 AM »
Mark has raised the question of whether we should play stableford at Wallasey since that is where Dr Stableford - who founded the system - was a member.

The answer must surely be yes - a novel wrinkle in terms of Ryder Cup format, but then we are playing for the Buda Cup.

Maybe this can become the hallmark of the event going forward - a round of stableford in the middle to confuse things? :)

ForkaB

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2005, 12:34:22 PM »
Great idea, Philip!

Next year let's play at Mr. Mulligan's home course......

JohnV

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »
Please sign me up for all the events.

My boss has said I can have the week off and I have enough miles on Alaska Airlines for a free Buisness Class ticket on BA to get me there so I'm coming.

Being that I hold a British passport, I will be competing for the European squad.

ForkaB

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2006, 05:55:13 AM »
Just to bump this for Matt Cohn and others who have not been paying attention! ;)

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »
FWIW, I was discussing this event with my wife over the weekend and was reminded that my anniversary is October 3. So alas, I shan't be able to come to this year's event - if everyone decides to go to Machrihanish next year, though, I'm happy to help coordinate the planning efforts and try to strike up a good deal.

Cheers,
Darren

ForkaB

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2006, 07:50:52 AM »
In a way I'm glad you're not coming, Darren, as you were destined for the patheitcally weak Euro team, and without you, they have absolutely no hope......

PS--I'm forgoing celebrations on the 3rd of something much more important than an anniversary.  When the going gets tough, the tough go golfing..... ;)

PPS--regardless, we'll miss you!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back