News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan King

Re:Bandon or Monterey Peninsula
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Tom Huckaby writes:
VERY good point as well.  Very, very good point.  But sadly there is no river rafting.

I fondly remember those idylic days of slowly rafting down Zayante Creek into the San Lorenzo River when I was a young tyke. Perhaps not the river rafting many people think of, but damn those were good times.

Dan King
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.
 --John Lennon

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »
I really like this kinder gentler online Pat. No questions retorical or otherwise and the kindness we know from real life.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 05:23:48 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 05:29:10 PM »
Garland:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would live by Pinot Noir or Sauvignon Blanc alone, particularly a visitor who has plenty of great quality such where he lives.

I'd also hold up Russian River Valley Pinots against those from Southern Oregon.  I'm no wine expert but I'd have to guess the area makes some quality SB also.

But no matter, the first point is more powerful.  If sampling wine overall is to be valued, then you'd have a very hard time convincing anyone of the worth of Southern Oregon over Napa/Sonoma.

What you need to prove your point is a river-rafting Pinot-only wine aficionado.  That person should LIVE in Southern Oregon, let alone visit there.

;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »
Garland:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would live by Pinot Noir or Sauvignon Blanc alone, particularly a visitor who has plenty of great quality such where he lives.

I'd also hold up Russian River Valley Pinots against those from Southern Oregon.  I'm no wine expert but I'd have to guess the area makes some quality SB also.

But no matter, the first point is more powerful.  If sampling wine overall is to be valued, then you'd have a very hard time convincing anyone of the worth of Southern Oregon over Napa/Sonoma.

What you need to prove your point is a river-rafting Pinot-only wine aficionado.  That person should LIVE in Southern Oregon, let alone visit there.

;D

If I were to travel to France, I would choose to visit Alsace and Burgundy to compare to Oregon. I have little interest in going to Bordeaux (Napa synonym).

I further understand your problem. You keep mentioning southern Oregon Pinot. Eugene is in the Willamette Valley where all great Oregon Pinots come from. Grants Pass and Eugene have significantly different climates. Grants Pass Pinot would be closer to Napa/Sonoma Pinot.

Finally, if you would read what I have written carefully, you would not keep bringing up the river rafting thing.

I suppose I should try adding a smiley face so you know how I want to come across. javascript:replaceText(' ;D')

Sorry to have hijacked your thread Ash,

Garland
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Bennett

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »
Ash

I've visited Monterey three times from Australia.  Your wife will enjoy Carmel, just make sure she has a very low limit credit card, or your golf could be very expensive. ;).  Yosemite is about a day's drive away, but you've probably seen that many glaciated valleys in the South Island that it won't have the same impact as for some of us.

If your flight times are similar to those from Oz, you will land in San Francisco first thing in the morning, before you left! (remember that date line thingy - my nephew forgot about this when he travelled, and had a hire car and hotel room booked for the next day :o).  You will also have just 'enjoyed' a 13 hour flight.  I recall visiting Alcatraz on the first day in the afternoon, and my wife and I both falling asleep at 3pm in the theaterette.  Try to stay in the daylight - the jet lag and time delay will get you.

Because of this, I stroingly suggest you don't schedule the most important parts of your trip (eg the golf) on the very first day or two.  You will be going through the motions.

All the best with the plans

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

THuckaby2

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2005, 05:53:26 PM »
Garland:

OK, fair enough.  And I too feel bad for hijacking this.  I guess the topic has become the worth of wine regions, and I will defer to your expertise there.

I just have a hard time believing there are very many visitors for whom that's the most important criterion in visiting any region, not to mention a certain very fun sport carried out in fast-flowing bodies of water.

Personally, I thought someone asked which region would be best to visit for golf, only mentioning that his wife didn't play the game.  Silly me.

All in good fun Garland,

TH

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »
Ash:

First choice is Monterey, but u should really try to do both plus play Pasatiepo, Olympic and/or SF Golf

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 07:38:39 PM »
Garland

Comparing Bordeaux to Napa wine is hardly fair on those poor Californians.  In fact, comparing Bordeaux to any other wine region is reason for some to have an inferiority complex.  I can let you slide on Burgandy because in truth, Burgandy is an honorary Bordeaux.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 07:50:48 PM »
I really like this kinder gentler online Pat. No questions retorical or otherwise and the kindness we know from real life.

Bah, Humbug.

Some moron has broken into your computer and is posting on GCA.com under your name.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2005, 09:51:54 PM »
And, amongst the very high priced great hotels and lower priced dumps in Carmel, there is a revitalized spot that allows for you to play golf while the family shops-

http://www.tradewindscarmel.com/

I'm staying there this week and it's a terrific hotel at a medium (at least for Carmel) price-$225 a night including breakfast).

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005, 10:28:17 PM »
While Huckster has certainly given you his opinions by now...   ;D

As a thought, wife permitting, you can probably get three rounds on Pacific to one round on CPC.
It isn't really a 1 to 1 ratio when you are at the behest of others - although if lucky the "others" can make the trip even better.

Have fun deciding.   ;D
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2005, 10:35:56 PM »
Ash, if your wife doesn't play golf, she had better enjoy reading a good (and long) book, or taking long walks on the beach, if you go to Bandon.  There is literally nothing else to do at Bandon but play golf.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 10:54:43 PM »
I think you will find that Ash has decided that it's Monterey Peninsula.

Bob

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2005, 10:56:59 PM »

I'll bet you had to twist his arm really really hard.   ;D

Jin Kim

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
For a golf only trip, Bandon.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 10:26:10 AM »
Never underestimate the "H" factor. ;)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
Pat, I knew it must be too good to be true. Thanks for the first taste of the hollidays. Bob knows all the comings and goings in the Carmel area.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 11:13:45 AM »
I'd like to make a quick recomendation for a wonderful, and afforadable producer of California Pinot . . .

Siduri and the Novy Family make some really special Pinot Noirs.
My wife and I shared a bottle with another couple during our last meal at Auberge du Soleil, and the wine was delicous. Since that meal I have bought a number of bottles from the winery and haven't been disapointed in the least.

If you are looking for a more traditional, maybe lighter bodied, somewhat minerally, French type Pinot, you might want to look elsewhere; but if you like a bigger, more earthy, and hardy Pinot, Siduri is certainly worth a taste. The Siduri wines that I have tasted are not made in an effort to mimick the French. Siduri produces a Pinot that is very honest to the West Coast of the US.

Hope that quick review proves helpful . . .

-Ted

Ash Towe

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2005, 01:54:08 PM »
Thanks to everybody who has contributed.  The decision has been made very easy for me, especially when transport and off course issues are factored in, it has to be the Monterey Peninsula.  

Peter Galea

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »
You won't be sorry.
"chief sherpa"

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »

Pete is right, you will not be disappointed.  You are in for quite a treat.

Now.. the waiting is the hardest part. :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »
With all due respect to the Monterey Peninsula from one that has never been, I think it is an injustice to Bandon (I've been twice) to call the choice an easy decision.  I could see people easily going either way, but based on my experiences in southern Oregon, I can't possibly see how it could ever be a no-brainer.  Bandon is simply incredible.  I'd highly recommend that you consider making the trek to the US Pacific Coast a twice in a lifetime experience and try them both out at some point.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 10:54:24 PM »
Tim Bert,

With respect, if you could play CPC, two rounds at MPCC and a round at Spyglass for $245.00 how on earth could you recommend Bandon Dunes?

Bob

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »
Tim,

If you compare Bandon and Monterey strictly as a golf outing, ignoring outside interests, and public access versus public access then Bandon wins hands down. However if you bring CPC and MPCC into the picture then Bandon loses. And when you can do it for $245 then it becomes a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Bandon, been there 3 times (pre Bandon Trails) but I have been to Monterey also and I have seen the promised land.  :)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:01:13 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 09:05:02 AM »
I'd go with Monterey just to have dinner at the Whaling Station ;D. Monterey is a wonderful place to spend a week relaxing with friends, golfing, and dining out. With that said, Bandon is a pretty awesome time too, but the steak is not as good.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back