News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

dsilk

Pitch and Putt Scotland and Ireland
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:03:23 PM »
Just back from a trip to Ireland where we played the usual rota of great tracks but failed to take advantage of any pitch and putt offerings for late day beer bets etc.. any ideas for good spots for this sort of activity? It seems like it would be a good comprimise since the group is always split on 18 vs 36? Also, it looks like we will be going to Scotland next year so either locale info is gratly appreciated...

cheers
ds

David_Tepper

Re:Pitch and Putt Scotland and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 07:06:55 PM »
I have seen a number of P&P's in Ireland and have even played one or two. However, I have not come across any in Scotland, at least in the Highlands.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:46:52 PM »
DS
I also dont know of many .

I dont come from a golfing family but me and my Dad used to play Pitch and Putt now and again on a course in Montrose , but its no longer there .

Cant think of any others on the East Coast of Scotland .

Now Putting Greens are our thing , every village in my area has a putting green .

Brian

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »
The other celtic nation, Wales:

I've been intrigued a few times by the pitch and putt course you drive past, next Swansea cricket ground, on the way to Pennard.  Rippling stuff in an unexpected location.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:16:06 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »
Turnberry
Best Pitch and Putt I've played.
Directly in front of the hotel.
Pick up your scorecard and pencil in the hotel.
They also lend clubs.
Great fun.

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:23:54 AM »
Indeed the pitch and putt at Turnberry looked quite nice. Som really nasty little bunkers surrounding the greens. As tempting as it was, we couldnt justify playing it over a 2nd round on the Ailsa.

Theres never enough time!!

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 01:57:40 AM »
Turnberry's is good, as is Gleneagles' (they also have a proper par 3 course).  There is a nice one in Stirling (Brucefields).  Gullane's kid's course looks good, but you canonly play there unless accompanied by a child.  Dornoch has two--one on the grounds of the Dornoch Hotel, adjacent to the 1st hole of the "big" course and one a mile out of town at the Lochans (you can also fish for trout there).  I'm sure there are others.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:58:30 AM by Rich Goodale »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 03:10:42 AM »
I was reading directions nearing the endof a 3 hour journey.  "Afer passing the village of Hunstanton look for Golf Course Road on the left".  The next thing you see is a field with a few pins in it.  The look on my friends face was priceless.  This pitch and putt had nothing to do with the club itself. But at Woodhall Spa they have a proper P&P with very small greens, bunkers etc.

However in Ireland there's one on the corner of the Curragh. Everytime I've driven past the pins have been bent right over by the wind. It's near Killcullen, which has it's own on the side of a very steep hill.

In Ireland the patrons seem to be mainly the old and the young and I've always been envious of those who could play well on them and their fantastic short games.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 03:12:52 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 03:14:38 AM »
There are pitch and put courses everywhere in Ireland. Practically every town will have one. There's a links one beside Lahinch.

There are also longer courses called par 3 courses.

If you like to play a bit of pitch and put and then go for a pint, you could go to Glencullen, beside Johnny Fox's Pub.

There's also a fun one called The Creek near where I lived in Rathfranham. Anyway, some are just fields with flags in them, while others are much better.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back