News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Callippe Preserve, Pleasanton, CA
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »
Callippe Preserve is a new daliy-fee course opening next week in Pleasanton, CA. It is designed by Brian Costello of JMP. Have not heard any buzz here (or anywhere else for that matter).

The website is: www.playcallippe.com

Tom H., Ed G., Gib P. Neal M. - have any of you heard anything about the course?

Neal_Meagher

Re:Callippe Preserve, Pleasanton, CA
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 01:32:41 PM »
David,

The course is a couple of miles down the road from my house and even closer to Mr. Getka's.  It will be good to have a new facility so close.

In 1997 my former firm was among the three finalists to interview for the design of the course, formerly called Happy Valley.  It is now named for the endandered butterfly that was part of the reason it's been so long in coming and is going to be one of the more expensive golf courses ever constructed.  The City has had to go after several add-on bond measures to help finance the course which is now right around......................40 million dollars.

The reasons for this are many and varied and revolve around environmental oversight issues, endangered frogs and butterflys and wetlands.  Additionally there are several existing home parcels that were to remain and about 30, I think, that are new and border the course.  There have also been some issues with the golf course sub-contractor chosen by the general contractor.

But, it is now soon to open and I look forward to seeing the results wrought by Mr. Costello and company.  Doubtless there will be a full report forthcoming from the NorCal contingent very soon.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:34:05 PM »
$40 million construction cost = what green fee??!!  :P ???

How are you, Neal?  It's been too long!

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:37:51 PM »
I know some tidbits, primarily that the construction firm who built it, it was their first (and last) course that they have done.  And they are scheduled to demo Stanford Stadium minutes after the end of the Notre Dame game ...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 01:38:27 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »
Bill,

The green fees are:

City resident weekday: $36
Non resident weekday: $42
City resident weekend: $60
Non resident weekend: $51

City resident junior: $12
Non resident junior: $14

Buggy rental for cart ball is $13

The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 02:21:19 PM »
Neal -

Thanks for the update. Looking at the pictures on the website, it appears the course will not be quite as stark/wide open as Poppy Ridge.

P.S. Nice to see you and Dan B. at Harding last month!

DT
tcmnav@aol.com

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 02:41:26 PM »

City resident weekend: $60
Non resident weekend: $51

Are these reversed, or is the nonresident weekend $71 or something similar?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 02:45:24 PM »
I know some tidbits, primarily that the construction firm who built it, it was their first (and last) course that they have done.  And they are scheduled to demo Stanford Stadium minutes after the end of the Notre Dame game ...

Mike

Do you think that you and FBD and Huntley and Huckaby can go down and salvage a few splinters for me?  I've already got enough of them permanently stuck into my buttocks, and maybe I can find a few matching pairs.....

BTW, what sort of crap is this new down-sized stadium for Stanford.  Next thing you know we'll be playing Santa Clara or UC-Davis and probably losing!

:'(

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 03:01:55 PM »

BTW, what sort of crap is this new down-sized stadium for Stanford.  

Even down-sized it will still be too big....25-30,000 people just don't take up much room.  Spartan Stadium would be a good model for the farm.

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »
Kevin,

You caught me; it is $51 weekends for city residents, $60 for non residents.  Anybody who knows me will tell you I'm numerically-challenged.

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Scott Seward

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 04:37:01 PM »
I measured the course and then surveyed for a yardage book company. For the green fee, this is an outstanding course. Nice property with a good mix of holes. THe back nine has a particularly strong stretch holes that wind up and then down one of the surrounding hills (12-15). The 18th hole is very strong.

This course will be a hit with East Bay golfers.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 05:00:33 PM »
Don't know if they are planning 50,000 rounds a year, but the ROI on 14 million doesn't look to good at average $40, depending on how much (or how little) they spend on maintenance.

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 06:19:51 PM »
Ace,
   Its not about the ROI, don't you know we are filthy rich out here in Norcal! 8)

I have been by on bike rides with my kids. It looks okay, but I don't see myself playing there much. It could turn out to be a decent value, and it is less than a mile from my house, so we'll see.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 11:43:24 PM »
I shall be playing it on Monday. It looks to be interesting.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 01:51:33 AM »
I shall be playing it on Monday. It looks to be interesting.

Did you get rained out?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 12:23:16 PM »
I would think they will never even come close to getting their money back much less a return on it. 40 million for a muni, wow who made the call on that one? I guess it is no dumber than $500,000,000.00 no bid contracts over and over in Iraq, Mississippi and New Orleans to the same companies with no obvious qualifications to do the job. I guess that is why we have trouble funding education and medical research..

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 12:43:23 AM »
The $40 million figure can't be correct especially to get JMP as the architect.  I would place them at best a 3rd tier golf architect firm and can't imagine them charging very much.

www.jmpgolf.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 01:04:02 AM »
The $40 million figure can't be correct especially to get JMP as the architect.  I would place them at best a 3rd tier golf architect firm and can't imagine them charging very much.

www.jmpgolf.com

Here is an article about the costs, from the Pleasanton Weekly Online Edition, March 4, 2005.  To cut to the chase, says costs are already $38.5 million, expected to go over $40M...

"A 'bargain' at $40 million - maybe

With the opening of the Callippe Preserve municipal golf course and trail system delayed again and construction costs rising, City Manager Nelson Fialho has taken "the bull by the horns" (his words) to stop the financial bleeding and complete the project as quickly as possible. Public Works Director Rob Wilson, who inherited the project when he was hired two years ago, has moved out of City Hall and into a construction trailer to handle day-to-day, on-site activities involving Ferma Corp., the general contractor and subcontractors. With 30 years of experience, including project management, construction inspection and as chief engineer for the city of Fremont before taking the Pleasanton job, he is the right man to work directly with Ferma supervisors, cutting the time consumed in phone calls, voice mails and facsimiles of landscape, grading and construction plans and changes. Fialho, named City Manager last October, was right in moving Wilson, substituting Assistant Public Works Director Scott Baker to handle city engineering and public works responsibilities so that Wilson can focus on getting the golf course project done.

Time is critical because, starting in November, Pleasanton taxpayers must start paying down the first of $25.3 million in bonds that were sold last year to finance the project. It was hoped that golfers, at an estimated $45 or more in green fees, would be helping to cover much of the bond payments by playing on Callippe last fall and through all of this year, generating additional revenue at the course's driving range and through equipment rentals and purchases at the clubhouse, which was completed last year. But that hasn't happened as opening day kept slipping, from early 2004 to mid-year to year's end and, most recently to this July. As seeding slowed and then stopped, Ferma's subcontractor Foresgren walked off the job. Ferma recently hired a new subcontractor, Continental Golf, which has promised more manpower and a faster turnaround on hydroseeding and mechanized seeding on fairways still without turf. Even so, Wilson estimates that work won't be completed before June, weather permitting, and that it will take at least six more months for the turf to develop before golfers and their carts can start play.

Total costs for the project so far are pegged at $38.5 million, making it one of the most expensive 18-hole municipal golf courses in the state. Fialho and Wilson are expected to seek additional funds from the City Council later this month that will put the project over the $40 million mark. But then Callippe Preserve is not your typical city-owned golf course. The course, itself, will occupy only 145 acres of the 576-acre Happy Valley site that the city annexed in 2002. Thirty-seven planned custom homes will occupy 20 acres with five acres for streets. City-owned open space, that will include three miles of public trails and equestrian paths alongside the course take another 173 acres, with a 107-acre easement purchased by the city to satisfy environmental requirements available for cattle grazing, but not open to the public. The cost of the project also included building a 24-foot-tall, 655,000-gallon water tank high above Happy Valley to provide fire protection and potable water throughout the site, as well as sewer and water lines under Alisal Street. That street, itself, was dug out and rebuilt as part of the project cost. Most important, the pristine rolling hills that comprise this newly annexed acreage preserve the open space at the city's southwest corner, sparing it from apartments, high-density housing and major arterial streets once contemplated for the acreage. The 576 acres will not only contain the golf course, trails and custom homes, but mostly acres of open space no longer available for further development.

There would appear to be many benefits to Pleasanton from this project, when we finally get it done. But until we know why the cost over-runs occurred, and how much they cost, we won't know if Callippe is a good deal for Pleasanton. Stay tuned."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 01:06:21 AM by Jim Nugent »

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
I just wanted to get this back on the 1st page. Has anyone been out there yet?  

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »
Damn.  Saw you pull this up and I thought that meant YOU would have played it already, David.  Oh well.  I haven't had the time and likely won't until 2006.  I did sign up for NCGA course rating, but didn't get it.  I really do want to play the course - heck anything new around here is always big news.

Word was Gib was gonna play it pre-opening...I wonder if he did.  He doesn't check in here all that often, sadly.

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 07:01:40 PM »
Huck/David,

What is this course's main competition? The Bridges  (San Ramon), (which I didn't really care for) is much more expensive, I think...

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 08:14:40 PM »
Sean -

I live in SF. When I do play in the East Bay, I mostly play at the Metropolitan GL by the Oakland Airport. I also play 2-3 times a year at Poppy Ridge, but that is almost a 1-hour drive from home.

My guess is that Callippe is a good 15-minutes closer to me than Poppy Ridge, which makes it of some potential interest to me.

The other "quality" daily fee courses along route 680 that I am aware of are the Wente Course (Livermore) and the Bridges (San Ramon). I have played neither.

Boundary Oaks (the Walnut Creek muni) is a decent course. I have never played Las Positas (the Livermore muni).

DT

THuckaby2

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 09:19:49 PM »
Wow.  I've played every single course David mentions, most many times.  Those are the competition, so to speak.  But he left out another - Sunol Valley GC - that has two courses and is probably the closest public course geographically to Callippe.  I'd say that - and the similar price point - makes it the main course that will lose tee-times due to the presence of Callippe.  But I think Sunol need not worry - we have SOOOOOO many more golfers than available tee-times, they'll still fill their sheets.

I've just heard on here and from other sources that the course is supposed to be pretty neat.  No one has jumped up and down about it and it likely won't win any awards, but it is supposed to be very fun and the price is decent (for this area).  I look forward to more first-hand reports, and I really look forward to playing it myself.  I will say the NCGA raters that I talked to thought it was pretty neat.

TH

johnk

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 03:07:24 AM »
Well, I visited the website, clicked on "The Course" and had to run away before I threw up at the marketing tripe...

We lead off with the Big Politically Correct Headline, on the page devoted to the course:
"Integrating Environmental Elements That Create a Great Golf Experience"

What kind of non-grammatical crap is that?!

The copy crescendoes with the classic cliche:

"At Callippe Preserve we strive to make each hole a signature hole"

This just decreased the likelihood that I'll play it in 2005...

BTW, just checked the homepage.  Here's the headline:
Unique & Challenging Layout That Will Sure To Please Every Aspect of Golfer

"Every Aspect of Golfer"!?!.  Are drop-out ESL students hired by Pleasanton to write this?  Maybe they just cut&paste the web page copy from a spam email ad for penis enlargement?

It's amusing in a pathetic kind of way.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 03:15:41 AM by John Krystynak »

THuckaby2

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 10:25:11 AM »
John:  I read all that too and equally cringed.  Yikes.

The problem is, I'd bet all of that WORKS for their target audience.  I really believe one can't underestimate the intelligence of the general consumer.

And that to me is sadder than all the horrid grammar and syntax.

:'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back