News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

Bluemound (Raynor) -Pics
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:14:48 PM »
Recently got to play Bluemound (Raynor). I heard they did a major renovation so i was exited to play. They have an awsome biarritz #3 but only used the back tier for green. I have additional pictures if anyone is interested. #2 green is priceless

From the front

From the rear
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 08:54:49 PM by Mike McGuire »

RJ_Daley

Re:Bluemound Redan -Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:25:23 PM »
Not to be persnickety on you Mike, but your photo is of Blue Mound CC's equally prototypical Raynor Biarritz 3rd hole.  I'm no expert on Raynor, but from my limitted rounds at a few of Raynor's courses, Blue Mound has the best set of theme template holes. The Redan par 3, is the 13th at Blue Mound.  A redan green is also found on the par 4 opening 1rst hole.  I get giddy about the 8th punchbowl green and approach of that par 4.  The short is the 7th, and the Eden is the 17th.  ONe of the other very exciting standout greens there, to my tastes, is the double plateau 2nd.  It is a very fine golf course with a particularly exciting series of opening holes to greet you.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ChipOat

Re:Bluemound Biarritz -Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:31:10 PM »
I should know, but where is Blue Mound?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike McGuire

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 06:37:13 PM »
Dick-

Thanks for the correction. I caught it (I thought before any posters) I was so excited to post my first pictures....

Were most Biarritzs all green when they will built?

Here is the Redan. It has a big helping bank  on the front right.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 06:47:52 PM »
Mark, it is a real humdinger!  I played there not too long after Bruce Hepner from Doak's outfit recommended some restorations.  At that time, the sharp edge of that Redan actually had a few filled-in maple stumps cut that had been cut to ground level, still visible.  Can you imagine that they at one point actually allowed trees to grow on that redan bank edge! :o

It is one hell of a course.  If I had the ping and lived closer, I'd try to be a member there.  Although, I would be a constant agitator for firmer conditions than I have experienced there in my two playing visits around the course.  I also watched some of the State WSGA Am open there a couple years ago.  It held up quite well to very fine players.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 07:46:32 PM »
I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Mound.  Love to see more pix

Mike McGuire

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 08:54:04 PM »
a few more...

#7 the short

the 8th.. better than any ride at disney

8th green ..punchbowl viewed from the right side of the green kinda looking back twoards the tee

Will E

Re:Bluemound (Raynor) -Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:32:32 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the pictures. I too enjoyed my time at Bluemound. Number eight may be the best punchbowl I've played outside of NGLA.
Dick,
I can't imagine wanting anything more than Lawsonia.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »
2nd green looking back...unreal

2nd green form the left

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:12:41 AM »
I can't imagine wanting anything more than Lawsonia.

WAE, indeed Lawsonia is just about all a fellow could want.  But, it is interesting how Langford seems to have created his own variation of the theme hole concepts that C.B., Raynor, and Banks used, without copying them outright.  Lawsonia is more original in design because they are massive earthen works greens structues and bunkers with gull wing grass mounds and such, that go beyond just duplicating the same basic structures like Raynor did.  

Yet having played three Raynors before I saw Blue Mound, and knowing what the theme template holes were, I just dropped my jaw at how faithful the hole designs are at Blue Mound.  I guess I'd rephrase your comment and say, "I can't imagine wanting more examples of Raynor, than Blue Mound".  

scott_wood

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 11:59:51 AM »
the restoration is concentrating this fall on recapturing original green lines on several other holes....

a testament to how reverently the BM folk view their course is the bronze bust/statue of Seth Raynor which graces the 1st tee....impressive!!!

their "process" is interesting, and continuing.....especially concerning the 4 letter word topic we discuss on GCA....
T***(s)  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 12:12:08 PM »
Scott, the BMCC really do have their restoration plans in order.  I have only played there twice and went to the State Am a few years ago.  Thus, I don't know how they approach the day to day maintenance meld, like we are discussion on the "feature interview thread with Scott Anderson".  Do you know that aspect of BMCC on a frequent basis.  What I"m getting at is if the membership at BMCC have a goal of bringing maintenance and conditioning in line with the classic and traditional firm ground conditions that old classic courses have by default to the age when they were built?  Unfortunately, the course played soft both times I was there.  The last couldn't be helped because it rained prior and during our round.  But, the State Am was too soft, I thought, as was my original round there a few weeks after the State Am.

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 12:49:22 PM »
Gents,

What a great set of photos.  It is always intriguing to me to see other Raynor works to see how adaptive he was to replicating the same hole concepts from one course to another.  I hope this will not sound like bias, but I truly believe the best set of Raynor holes is The Old White at the Greenbrier.  When we finish the last phase this winter, we will have Redan, Short, Eden, Biarritz (front and back portion as putter), Long, Cape, Narrows, Alps, Hogsback, Plateau, and others.  The holes are being restored from old photographs and accurate down to features long gone such as dragons teeth.  Scott Burroughs has the completed holes in another thread. I'll be sending him some construction photos of the latest holes soon.  

Lester

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:55 PM »
Lester, I almost forgot about your efforts there at Greenbrier.  The previous photos you shared were intriguing.  Please give us more when you can.  I'd love to see the project there.  Do you have the link to Scott's thread handy?

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 12:59:23 PM »
it's bad enough I haven't played Lawsonia :-[...now I find out about another good one right nearby!

great pics, thanks
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 09:14:48 PM »
Scott Wood told me I had to get my butt to Bluemound, and he was right, as I got a chance to play this sleeper today (but don't get any directions from Scott, trust me on this) ;)

some really cool stuff out there....I think 8, with its WILD punchbowl green, is on my list of all-time favorite holes....I think the tops of the sides are about 6 feet higher than the level of the green!  and the approach to it is uphill and deceptive ...a great hole

some good variety out there...some holes have bunkers on both sides, and at different points on both sides of the fairways, while others have one on the left side and some have one on the right..a blind tee shot on 14, and there are doglegs both left and right  as well

as already discussed, some great greens too...ridges run thru many, too

lots of trees have been removed, bunkers restored, and greens expanded...

bottom line: it reminded me somewhat of Chicago Golf with trees...IMHO, definitely worth a visit if you can
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back