News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Northern Michigan 2006 (and Bay Harbor)
« on: November 03, 2005, 06:17:18 PM »
Just wanted to get some thoughts for a potential 2006 Michigan Trip (Traverse City/Gaylord/Petoskey area generally)...I know there are likely many threads in the archives about this already but searching isn't producing that much luck.

Anyway, just wanted some input on the list of courses below. I'm hoping to stay for the better part of a week and play 6-8 courses, but that'll depend on factors outside my control somewhat too. If there are others worth considering by all means fire away there too! Looking for good golf, but good deals are just as welcome!

Bay Harbor (No love here--is it worth it?)
Pilgrim's Run
Thousand Oaks
High Pointe
Black Forest
Black Lake
Elk Ridge
Treetops (any/all)
Little Traverse Bay
Belvedere
Hemlock

Already played Arcadia Bluffs and Tullymore. Also know about Crystal Downs and Kingsley Club, but I'm not holding my breath on getting onto either one so looking more at the public side for now. Thanks for any advice!

RSLivingston_III

Re:Northern Michigan 2006 (and Bay Harbor)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »
Add Forest Dunes & Greywalls.
Greywalls is a few extra hours of driving but a must see. And see it least a couple of times. While there check out the original nine Langford holes on the old course.
Bump Belvedere near the top of the list.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Boehm

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »
Andy -

One other course to consider is Forest Dunes, which I think is comparable to Tullymore in quality, and a step below Arcadia Bluffs.  It is in the general area of Black Forest if you are looking for a 36-hole day.

If you enjoyed Tullymore, you may want to consider True North in Harbor Springs, also a Jim Engh design.

Hunt

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 09:11:12 PM »
Andy,

Bay Harbor is worth the effort if they offer the $99 twilight rate. Used to be available at 5pm and getting 18 in is no problem in the summertime.

Agree that Belvedere is a must do.

Consider the Heather over at Boyne Highlands.

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:18:07 PM »
From an architecture standpoint, you might consider playing The Bear... a fine example of Nicklaus design at it's most penal.   It was the "hardest" course in Michigan for a while but more importantly it helped the expansion of Northern Michigan as a golf destination.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »

Belvedere is a must, what an absolute fabulous course.

Not a huge fan of Bay Harbor, overrated and overpriced.

I really enjoyed the Heather course, but not a must, but better than Bay.

Others look good.

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 10:26:23 PM »
Andy,
   I would try to see Lost Dunes on the southwest border of Michigan, there are some exceptional holes and greens there. Give Kingsley Club a ring, they are quite accomodating to GCA guys, and you would be hardpressed to find a course that is more fun to play. If you like firm and fast, Dan Lucas keeps TKC in perfect shape.
   In the Grand Rapids area I would also try to see The Mines, which is another DeVries design that I saw last year and it has some really good holes (with assist from our own Joe Hancock).
   I can't speak to conditions, but High Pointe is worth a see up north since it is Doak's first solo effort, and has some really outstanding architectural features to check out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:27:55 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I'll certainly take a longer look at Belvedere and Forest Dunes and the others mentioned. For those who don't like Bay Harbor, is the price the main problem? Is it just a $75 course masquerading as a $200 one?

Ed,
Thanks for the suggestions, Lost Dunes is definitely on my hope to play list as well and I will certainly keep Kingsley in mind if you think that would be a possibility. Would you recommend skipping Thousand Oaks then in favor of the Mines? I've heard good things about DeVries' Pilgrim's Run as well.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:36:21 PM »
Over at BSG, someone is looking for people to play Kingsley with him.  He's a new member there, wants to set up an outing at the course, and issued an open invitation to the other board members.  You may have to sign up for BSG, but that's free and fun besides (at least for me).

Here is the link:

http://www.bombsquadgolf.com/invboard_release/upload/index.php?s=0a6b7a5bf87ca9168448cdf983e6bcb5&showtopic=91049

Peter Pratt

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 08:03:51 AM »
I'll stump for the old pre-fame Doak courses. I still love High Pointe and Black Forest is very good. Treetops (Smith) is by far the best at Treetops. Kingsley and Crystal are musts, and then Arcadia Bluffs. Forest Dunes is solid, but not in the caliber of the others I've mentioned, IMHO. Oh--and Pilgrim's Run is better than FD and Tullymore. Pass on Hemlock, Little Traverse, and, especially, Elk Ridge.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »
Andy,

In Grand Rapids you can now play the DeVries trio of Mines, Pilgrim's and Diamond Springs (latter two with Chris Shoemaker). DS at around $30 best value in State.

I like Forest Dunes better than Arcadia but both are well worth playing. Both also have great superintendent's with top notch conditioning.

Belvedere is a must. Bay Harbor is beautiful but not so much for golf, the Heather is a better course.

Thousand Oaks and Black Lake are OK.

High Pointe for design not conditions. If you go to Black Forest (haven't played) and need another near there Michaywe' Pines is the best I've played in Gaylord area. Old school Northern Michigan golf.

All expressed opinions are mine. ;)

Depending on timing, we should be able to accomodate you here at Kingsley. Email me (kcsupt@earthlink.net) early and I will set it up for you.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 10:40:59 AM »
Andy,

All expressed opinions are mine. ;)

Dan,

That line caught me off guard. The mere notion of you puppeting someone else's opinion is so unlikely. Of course, one could read that and think that all expressed opinions IN THIS THREAD are yours! What power, I'm jealous! ;D

BTW, your excuse that you are topdressing prevents you from coming down to golf today doesn't fly. Topdressing @ Kingsley is what changing cups is at any other course. Just another day....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 02:41:14 PM »
Dan,
  Thank you, I sent you a message.

Again thanks for the responses, looks like a lot of good choices! Appears like Bay Harbor might be a twilight option depending on how things work out.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll be up there for two weeks by the time everyone is done :)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »
If True North is still semi-private, it is well worth a trip, good Jim Engh designed course.  Also worth playing before the dirth of housing goes in!  Their twilight rate was $90.00 this past summer.

Ari Techner

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 05:13:38 PM »
I would add The Heather at Boyne Highlands to the list.  Forget Bay Harbour IMO one of the biggest wastes of great land out there and way overpriced.  Pilgrims Run is great if you can make it on your way.  (its pretty far south compared to Boyne and the like)  

Andy Troeger

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 06:08:53 PM »
I forgot to mention, we'll be coming from NW Indiana, so we'll probably be coming through Grand Rapids and up that way (or potentially over past Holland/Muskegon), so we will likely hit Pilgrim's Run or maybe one of the  Grand Rapids courses on the way up or down.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 06:26:30 PM »
Andy:

For what it's worth ...

True North is Engh-lite. He has done far better with his previous courses. The layout on the front side has a few holesof note -- see the par-5 8th as one example. But then you get the god-awlful uphill par-5 9th that will be a slog with the exception of the better players. The back nine is clao cramped with a U-turn play after tha par-4 11th.

Bay Harbor has only one nine worth talking about -- the Quarry and frankly we are talking about 4-5 holes that are worth a look. The rest is vintage Art Hills -- nuff said. Frankly anyone who might link Bay Harbor to the likes of Arcadia Bluffs is smoking some heavy duty weed.

If you do venture to Greywalls as has been suggested -- keep in mind that it's no less than three hours from the Mac Bridge. From the Traverse City area add at least another hour.

At this time of year be sure to pack your woolies. ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 07:35:43 PM »
I forgot to mention, we'll be coming from NW Indiana, so we'll probably be coming through Grand Rapids and up that way (or potentially over past Holland/Muskegon), so we will likely hit Pilgrim's Run or maybe one of the  Grand Rapids courses on the way up or down.

If you need to choose between the DeVries' children in the Grand Rapids area, then here are some guidelines:

Pilgrims Run: Very handsome, perhaps the the most vain of all the siblings. Grooming is top priority, and always has the golf version of a nice tan (green). He sometimes suffers from too much bathing, as his skin seems rather soft...you can tell from the handshake.

Diamond Springs: Ruggedly handsome. He's the kind guy you want as a next door neighbor. His simplicity is contagious, yet there is a depth that makes you want to converse with him all the more. Not your average country bumpkin, but not as refined as some of his big city kinfolk.

Mines: A bit chauvinistic, this is the toughest and youngest of the three GR siblings. Not neccesarily a large frame, but very strong muscles that are very well defined. True to form, he doesn't like short jokes, and will kick your butt if you dare to utter them. If you go for a walk with him, be sure you have done a bit of training beforehand. He's still a little slow, but given his urban setting, he will get up to speed in short fashion.

Hope this helps.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 08:06:04 AM »
Matt,
  Thanks, Greywalls will likely be part of a different trip just due to distance. I'm guessing we'll wait until late May/June. I wouldn't be surprised if we try Bay Harbor for the twilight rate if it works out, but I won't be too concerned if we don't make it.

Joe,
Thanks  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 08:08:36 AM by Andy Troeger »

Brian Cenci

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »
If you are playing in Northern Michigan (excluding U.P. and no further south then Mt. Pleasant) the best places are (in general order from best to worst):

*Arcadia Bluffs (have a $75 all day as much as you can play rate right now for that matter)
*Bay Harbor
*Forest Dunes
*Tullymore
*Black Lake
*High Pointe
*Black Forest
*Pilgrims Run (not really northern michigan, but close)
*Grand Traverse Resort - Bear
*Lockenheath
*Dumnaglass
*Thouroughbred - J.J. Resort
*Champion Hills (great rate, good course)

Brian Cenci

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »
Also forgot, even though it's on the western part of Northern Michigan is Lakewoods Shores-Gailes.  Great course, only topped by Arcadia Bluffs.  Also, Otsego Club is a great course near Gaylord.

ed_getka

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 08:35:36 PM »
Grandpa Joe,
    Nice course descriptions. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back