News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Template Courses
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:06:35 PM »
Were/are template courses a reasonable solution for land that isn't the best suited for golf?

It would seem that MacDonald/Raynor/Banks group built some pretty well regarded courses on some pretty unideal sites, ie Forsgate and the Knoll, and they were able to be adapted and provide a great test of golf.

Bill_McBride

Re:Template Courses
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »
If you haven't been to Yale, you need to go!  Talk about unsuitable land, dynamite was a big item in the budget.

Chicago Golf Club is on a big flattish piece of land that originally had a big racetrack in the middle of it.  MacDonald opened it in 1897?, the first 18 holes in America.  In 1922 Raynor rebuilt the course using the central land.  The original routing went clockwise around the perimeter (protecting MacD's slice from the OB always left!), but Raynor built some super holes in the interior.

The amazing thing at Chicago is the earthworks required to build a few of the holes, particularly the Redan #7 and the Eden #13!  There must be a 15' high right side to each of these holes, as there is a slope from the SW corner of the property toward the NW, and both these holes are built up against this slope.  Looking at those holes from the downhill side, from the north, is amazing!

It always bemuses me that MacDonald and Raynor are gods of GCA but may have moved as much dirt as Fazio.

Kyle Harris

Re:Template Courses
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:23:07 PM »
I wanted to mention Yale, but have only seen pictures - so can't comment really. Definately a place I hope to get to eventually.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back