News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Pflum

Report/Commentary from Bandon Dunes
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »
Report from Bandon Dunes

About a dozen other golfers and I took a trip to Bandon Dunes last weekend.  My primary motivation for taking the trip was a father/son golf trip with my father who is turning 69 this year.  

General Comments about the Resort

In no particular order:
1.   The accommodations were very nice.  Large comfortable rooms with huge showers and excellent coffee (as you might expect in the Pacific NW).
2.   The staff could not have been friendlier.  I probably only opened a door on my own ten times.  I was always greeted with a “good morning” and a “hello.”  
3.   There were shuttles that ran throughout the resort 24 hours per day.  All you had to do is make a phone call and there would be one at your door within minutes.
4.   We ate most of the time at McKee’s pub.  The far was mostly Scottish pub food – bangers and mash, shepherd’s pie, meatloaf, etc.  The food was very good, filling, and reasonably priced.  Despite having you as a captive audience the resort did not gauge on the food.  Some of the other folks in the group ate a couple of the nicer restaurants and I heard reports of slow service and cold food, though personally I did not experience any of that.
5.   Taking a visit to Bandon is NOT cheap.  I haven’t gotten my credit card statement yet but I expect I paid somewhere in the range of $2,000 for three days/two weekend nights, 108 holes of golf with a caddy, misc food sundries, and a couple of take home souvenirs.  

On to the meat of the information

General Comments about the golf courses

1.   The lies on all the courses are very tight.  Coming from the Midwest this was very different for me.  I am used to having the ball sitting up a bit in the fairway.  At Bandon, the grass in the fairways did not hold the ball up very much.  Because of this you had to pick the very cleanly for good shots.  For a player like me, where bad swings result in shots hit fat, this took a bit of getting used to.  By the end of the trip my swing had gotten very steep to hit the ball first which presented its own set of problems.  
2.   There was a lot of mounding in the fairways on all the courses, though you rarely ended up with any kind of side hill, uphill, or downhill lie.  The ball would tend to roll down into collection areas.  That was nice except for the fact that there tended to be a lot of divots in these spots.  I had to hit out of divots a number of times.  
3.   The greens on all the courses were fast and the vast majority of then had significant humps and slopes.  I had a hard time reading them for the first few days but that’s why you have a caddy, right?  
4.   All of the courses were in excellent shape, though, frankly I don’t have the expertise to spot invading grasses or stressed out or unhealthy turf.  
5.   At the yardages we played Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, and Bandon Dunes were “only” 6,142, 6,260, and 6,221.  All the courses seemed to play significantly longer than those numbers.  I believe that being at sea-level in wet/heavy air resulted in balls going about 1 club less than I am used to here in Cincinnati.  Then, of course, there was the factor of the wind.  The morning rounds seemed fairly calm with perhaps only a hit of a breeze but the wind was blowing pretty well by the afternoon rounds.  
6.   The vast majority of the bunkers were deep and had high banks.  Though, unless your shot plugged in the side, your ball would roll down to the bottom of the bunker and give you a level.  Without exception, the sand in the bunkers was excellent.  Not too fluffy, not too firm – just right.  

Pacific Dunes
We played 36 holes on this course on Friday and another 18 holes on Sunday morning.  This course had a great collection of holes – long and short, short and narrow, long and open, uphill, downhill, etc.  I found all of the holes to be excellent with the exception of #16.  This is a short dogleg right par four with a large collection area short and right of the green.  The landing area for most “safe clubs” 3 wood, 5 wood, etc was very mounded and would likely result in an odd lie or two.  The only options off the tee seemed to be driver to get past all of the mounding but would bring a lot of the trouble off the fairway into play or a mid iron to the 150 yard marker which would give you a blind shot to the green.  

I enjoyed Pacific very much and it was a great fun to play.  A number of the holes, especially #4, 10, and #13 had great views of the ocean.  However rather than a golf course, Pacific felt to me more like a group of 18 holes stuck together to form a golf course.  It did not feel like there was a flow from one hole to the next possible because of some of the long green to tee walks – namely 3 to 4, 11 to 12, and 15 to 16.  

Bandon Trails
The newest of the three courses, we played Trails 36 holes on Saturday.  Holes #1 and #2 are more typical of what you might expect to find at Pacific Dunes.  Then for holes #3 to #16 you meander through a pine forest until #17 and #18 return you to the linksesque routing.  This course felt more familiar to me.  In Cincinnati we have very few wide open, exposed courses like Pacific and Bandon.  I found the routing through the trees very enjoyable.  The trees helped block the view of the other holes and other golfers so there was a real sense that you were on the course all by yourself.  

Of the three courses I enjoyed Bandon Trails the least.  Visually, the course is spectacular but its’ extremely penal nature lowers the enjoyment of playing it.  Countless times during the rounds I played there marginal shots – not BAD shots, mind you, but shots that were just not quite good – ended up in trouble.  It seemed that ALL of the collection areas flowed directly into bunkers.  Case in point:  on hole #4 (http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/bt_hole8.cfm) I hit a well struck fairway wood off the tee that was just left of center of the fairway.  It landed in the fairway and slowly rolled directly into the left hand bunker.  I watched many other shots that were marginal end up with severe penalties.  It seemed to me that the design theme behind Bandon Trails was to “punish poor shots” rather than “reward good shots.”  

As a side note:  Hole #16 (http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/bt_hole16.cfm) reminded me a lot of hole #8 on Crystal Downs (http://www.rsgcincinnati.com/Crystaldowns/crystaldowns8.html)  

Bandon Dunes
We only got to play 18 holes at this course because the Oregon Mid Am tournament was being held at Bandon the weekend we were there.  We played 18 holes on Sunday afternoon.  By far, I enjoyed this course the most.  All of the holes seemed to flow together very well and it was one great golf hole after another.  My only complaint was that there was a not a short par three.  Personally, I really like the theater and drama of short par threes.  #15 is short enough at 131 yards but it was playing directly into a STIFF wind so it was more like 170 yards.  IIRC, I hit a five iron on that hole.  

I was very disappointed we only got one round here but that just means I’ll have to go back, won’t it?  

Overall thoughts
All around, the Bandon Dunes resort is stunning.  You have three fantastic, immaculate golf courses at your disposal and a resort staff that bends over backward for you.  My trip there was by far the best golf trip I’ve ever taken (See Appendix below) and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I just need to let the bank account recover.

Appendix
As I said above, my primary motivation for taking this trip was my father.  He turns 69 this December and still in good health.  He plays 18 holes several times per week and carries his bag.  We play golf together a lot and I wanted to take him on a trip before it was too late and we had missed the opportunity.  Below is something I wrote for another forum and is really at the heart of why this trip was so special for me.

I planned this trip to be with my dad.  Together we walked up to the 18th tee box at Bandon Dunes on Sunday afternoon and I realized that this was our last hole.  I had flown over 1800 miles and walked over 22 miles during six rounds for this moment.  The dusk sun was descending towards the horizon over the Pacific Ocean and gave a golden luster to the mounds and valleys of the fairway.  The stiff breeze was at our back, helping us on this long par five.  I got pretty emotional as I was walking with my dad and about halfway down the fairway I was crying like a baby.  I'm glad that my friend, Mark Koenig, was there to help me along and point me towards my ball.  I don't even know what clubs I hit on the hole or what my yardage was.  Sasha just handed me the clubs to hit and I did.  A few shots later, I stood on the green looking back up the fairway at the sunset and turned to watch my dad roll in a 25 footer for birdie.  I would have traveled twice the distance at twice the cost just for that one hole.  It was undeniably perfect.  
--
jvdp

Dan Kelly

Re:Report/Commentary from Bandon Dunes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »

I planned this trip to be with my dad.  Together we walked up to the 18th tee box at Bandon Dunes on Sunday afternoon and I realized that this was our last hole.  I had flown over 1800 miles and walked over 22 miles during six rounds for this moment.  The dusk sun was descending towards the horizon over the Pacific Ocean and gave a golden luster to the mounds and valleys of the fairway.  The stiff breeze was at our back, helping us on this long par five.  I got pretty emotional as I was walking with my dad and about halfway down the fairway I was crying like a baby.  I'm glad that my friend, Mark Koenig, was there to help me along and point me towards my ball.  I don't even know what clubs I hit on the hole or what my yardage was.  Sasha just handed me the clubs to hit and I did.  A few shots later, I stood on the green looking back up the fairway at the sunset and turned to watch my dad roll in a 25 footer for birdie.  I would have traveled twice the distance at twice the cost just for that one hole.  It was undeniably perfect.  

The John Pflums, Senior and Junior, are lucky men. Good for you both!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:34:52 PM »
Junior -

Of all the thousands of posts re: Bandon here, this one has given me the best feel for the resort. By far.

Your unpretentious prose style is most refreshing. I look forward to your next report.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:24:26 AM »
What he said, Amen.

:)

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 06:45:32 AM »
John

Ditto to what Dan, Michael and Don (......is "Ditto" just another word for Amen....?) said.

Sounds like you had a fantastic experience with your Dad, and I really appreciate the open-mindedness and honesty of your impressions of Bandon and its courses.

Plus, you write good.

Thanks

Rich

Ted Kramer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:21:51 AM »
I always find it interesting to hear which holes really stand out for others. I think PD #16 is one of the best holes on the course and one of the best between BD and PD (haven't played PT).

Thanks for sharing a bit of what must have been a fantastic trip!

-Ted

Dan King

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
My Dad passed four years ago and I really miss the times we golfed together. He wasn't a very good golfer, starting very late in life, but we enjoyed our times together playing his home course.  Enjoy every round with your fathers.

It's funny the different responses to the Bandon resort and who likes what courses. I think my favorite hole on the entire resort is No. 16 at Pacific Dunes. First time I was there I was on the tee for a while trying many different tee shots trying to figure out the ideal way to play the hole. The next time I was there the strategy seemed completely different.

Dan King
Imagine, for example, a hole guarded by three buried land mines. The first-time visitor would walk blindly through the course and, thanks to the laws of random chance, probably not trip one in ten tries; but the wise would have a hard time taking one step for fear of their lives. In golf architecture, tightly mowed grass is the nearest thing we have to a land mine. The average golfer sees acres of manicured grass and is encouraged to swing without fear. But the clever architect can utilize short grass in several ways to increase the difficulty of the course, and it will have the greatest effect on better players who recognize and fear the problems it will present.
 --Tom Doak

John Pflum

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:12:56 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, folks.  I appreciate it.  

Hey Michael:

"Junior -

Of all the thousands of posts re: Bandon here, this one has given me the best feel for the resort. By far.

Your unpretentious prose style is most refreshing. I look forward to your next report. "

If you'd like to sponsor me for a trip to Whistling Straits, etc. I promise to bring back on heck of a review.  :-)  
--
jvdp

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 09:31:23 AM »
If you'd like to sponsor me for a trip to Whistling Straits, etc. I promise to bring back on heck of a review.  :-)  

John,

Good line. You'll fit in quite nicely 'round here! ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 10:02:22 AM »
John,
   While I don't agree with your assessments of the courses, that last paragraph gave me goosebumps. Very cool, thanks for sharing.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back