News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Naming Tees?
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:02:16 PM »
Just curious - what do you name your tees?   Do you just use the color name, front/middle/back, or something else?

Thanks...

Jason Mandel

Re:Naming Tees?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:41:11 PM »
Dan,

We just use the color.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:23 PM »
Front, Members, Championship, and Aldarra tees..

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 05:32:46 PM »
Colors (and I prefer it this way...if you must use a signature tee name, please limit it to the tips)

The Pit (greater Pinehurst area) uses the following:

From shortest to longest

Rail Anchor
Half Rail Anchor
Spike
Screw
Scratch

Yikes.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:24:58 PM »
I dont mind the funky names (like the pit and tobacco), although i prefer the colors.....yellow, white, blue, black from front to back for Tedesco.  The ones I dont like are courses like the RTJ trail in Alabama, who use, from front to back, teal, white, orange, purple.  If you are going to use colors, why not use those that everyone are used to?

p.s. Simper plays the rail anchor tees
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:26:38 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »
Wussie (extreme front)
Girlie Man (just a tad further back)
Boy Wonder (middle of the road)
Hulk Hogan (for those who dare)
Terminator (for those who dream)

;D

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »
On most of the plans we produce, we usually use the regular colors everybody are used to, simply because that is what most people relate to when they look at the plans.  It makes it more simple to communicate with the clients.

However, I feel we should probably get away from that practice to implement different names that we can associate with a handicap bracket that people could use to figure out from which tee they should be teeing up as opposed to just going straight to the white tee when they are men or the red tee when they are women.

Too many men just won't play from the green or yellow tees that are usually associated with seniors tees or shorter lengths, just because they are afraid that their buddies will thick they are sissies for not playing from the "mens" white tees.

And too many players don't realise they would have a lot more fun if they would just play from a shorter set of tees that would better represent their game.
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Andy Doyle

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:24:39 PM »
I don't have anything to do with being able to name tees, but I have started thinking about them in relation to their yardage.  The "blue" tees at one course may be 6,300 yards and 7,000 yards at another course.

So many courses have been "creative" in naming or coloring the tees, it is much easier for comparison to refer to them by yardage.

For example, I had the opportunity to play the Bob Cupp renovation of Druid Hills Golf Club last week, and I played from the 6833 tees.  This is from a possible set of tees named:

Black
President's
Blue
Jones
White
Burgundy
Stirling
Green

AD

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 08:10:59 AM »
Seems like it's the old NHL, with its Norris, Adams, and so on.  Some folks loved the names, but I think most like NE, NW, etc...

Do you remember when the NFL had a 'Century" division in the late 60s?

I think we'll stick with colors.  Right now, we have red, green, blue, and gold.  We're going to change green to white to help reduce the stigma of playing from the 'greens'.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 08:18:18 AM »
I remember a course in Florida that used numbers about 1 foot high instead of colors on the tees. Interesting concept. Sometimes public courses get cute with colors by not using the standard red,white,blue,etc so that they are to difficult to discern.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »
Flynn wrote this in 1927,

"A great many players are averse to using forward tees perhaps because they were originally christened “ladies tees” but regardless of that fact it seems that a great deal more enjoyment could be had if golfers used the tee on the various holes that really suited their game.”

Flynn suggested a manner of getting players to play from the proper tees was to post a note in the locker room,

"GOLFERS, ATTENTION!

In order to accommodate all classes of players your club has gone to the expense of building forward, intermediate and back tees on many holes.  These tees are kept in order and markers are placed on each one.  Except in tournaments please use the tees that fits your particular game and enjoy the course.”

I like the idea of using colors, and non-traditional ones at that to encourage players using the tees that fits their game.  I'd start with club colors, if there are none, than colors from the local or state flag.  

In the Philadelphia area, I'd consider Eagle's Green, Phillies Red, Flyers Orange and Sixers White.  From back to front:  Red, Green, White and Orange based upon the years the clubs were established and being different from convention.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:41:59 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »
In the Philadelphia area, I'd consider Eagle's Green, Phillies Red, Flyers Orange and Sixers White.  From back to front:  Red, Green, White and Orange based upon the years the clubs were established.

Wayne-

How tees at RG named for a certain *ahem* senior player, dictating that those playing from that point must play the 18th as a par 5?  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:31:26 AM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »
 Doug,

The "mayday"  tees are to be played without regard to par.
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 09:55:44 AM »
Doug,

Please do not humor Mike Malone.  It makes it much more difficult to catch the wiry little bastard and get the straightjacket on him.

Forgetting par (which I don't think you should because it does have meaning, i.e. the likely score of a scratch player), the back tees should be erradicated immediately.  They are the height of stupidity (that's the only reason why some call them the Malone tees).  I cannot think of one person I've had over to RGGC that like those tees.  There is no thinking necessary and no shot testing.  You can hit two mediocre shots and still get on the green in three.  This is anathema to Flynn if you consider his body of work in general and his final holes in particular.  

But you have a guy like Mike that knows a little, well...you know the saying.  The hole played as a par 4 for US Amateur qualifying.  I know why; it is the correct way to set up the hole.  Let's see, you, Kyle, Mike Cirba, Tom Paul, Ed Getka, David Kelly, Adam Messix, Craig Disher, Bill Dow, Andy Revell, John Capers, Dave Miller, Lloyd Cole, Chris Clouser, Bob Crosby, Mark Chalfont, Mark Fine, Noel Freeman, Bill Albertini, Chet Harrington, Dan Hermann, Adrian Kruse, Burt McHugh, Ran Morrissett, David Normoyle, Eric Pevoto, Steve Sayers, Jeff Silverman, Colin Sheehan, Mark Studer, Mike and Pete Trenham, Bob Walton, Steve Shaffer and Darryl Cluster all agree that the hole is better set up as a par 4 than par 5.  

On the opposite side of the argument you have Mike Malone.  Standing alone completely in the dark.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 10:01:41 AM »
 It is truly amazing that such an illustrious group can be wrong, but it is true.

A more likely answer is that after Wayne has been such a fine host for 17 holes no one wants to disagree with him.
AKA Mayday

james soper

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
secession:
grant
lee
sherman
jackson

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
Atlanta CC: Gold, Blue, White, and Red.

There's also a line on the card for a Gold-Blue combination (mostly to shorten some of the holes).

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 10:31:57 AM »
James,

I don't understand why there's a mixture of Union and Confederate Generals on a course named Secession.  If they were all Confederate it would make more sense.  Or are they appealing to Yankee members?  If so, it seems odd at a course named Secession.

Mike,

Just like you to think everyone else is wrong and you're right.  In your case it is a delusional state.  It may be reversible, although you've given little evidence of it.  Have you stopped taking your medication?  I think you've flown over the cuckoo's nest once again.  Now when you see the boys in the white coats coming, don't run away.  They get angry when they have to run after you and they might tighten the jacket more than necessary  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:33:04 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 10:39:40 AM »
I've seen a few courses try reverse psychology, with the back tees being red, or mauve, or some sissy color, and the front sets being blue, then black, etc., in a vain effort to move people up.

It always struck me as a fairly ridiculous notion, but I also wouldn't bet against it working fairly well.  ;)

Robert Emmons

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 12:02:04 PM »
Floridian.....

Marlins
Dolphins
Panthers
Manatees

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 12:43:58 PM »
Bill V,

Yo've got to be kidding.  You haven't seen the new back tee I don't believe.  It is ridiculous.  Make a dedicated trip one of these days.  Too bad you're missing out tomorrow.  

There you are giving Malone a false sense of sanity.  But then again, if you or Matt Ward agree with him he will start to get suspicious of and maybe even doubt his sanity.  Right?  In that case, keep agreeing with him, Bill  ;D

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 10:25:50 PM »
I've seen a few courses try reverse psychology, with the back tees being red, or mauve, or some sissy color, and the front sets being blue, then black, etc., in a vain effort to move people up.

It always struck me as a fairly ridiculous notion, but I also wouldn't bet against it working fairly well.  ;)

Mike-

Rutgers GC, where I played in college, had blue (back) white (mid) yellow(senior) and red (forward) up until recently.  

They changed the color of the tees--the 'back' tees are scarlet, the 'middle' tees are black, and the 'forward' tees are green.

Yes, I know scarlet and black are my school colors, but it's just enough to be a little different...come out and see it with Kyle sometime.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 10:28:01 PM »
A personal favorite of mine, Mountain Valley, recently shifted their tees from Blue, White, Gold, Red to Gold, Blue, White, Red...

Most people still play the Whites... which are the original Golds.

The White Course at PSU never had "Blue" tees until recently. The Blue tees were added recently on the old "White" tee locations...

Most people still play the Whites... which are from the same yardage as the old Golds.

Most golfers, apparently, don't pay attention to total yardage.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:29:05 PM by Kyle Harris »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 10:48:36 PM »
If memory serves, when I played Palmetto, the tips were red.  I liked that, actually.  I sort of like disctinct named tee sets, as long as it fits with the character/persona of the golf course.  Like Tobacco Road's tee names, I like.  They fit.  Black, Blue, White, and Red wouldn't cut it, I don't think.

Caledonia, from back to front:
Pintail
Mallard
Wood Duck
Redhead

It goes with the character of the course.  Now, on the other hand, at a place like, say, Hartford Golf Club, Blue, White, Red will suffice, as it is an older club, and less grandiose.

Just my opinions on the matter.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back