News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Joseph

The Club at Bond Head
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:38:53 PM »
I have an opportunity this weekend to play The Club at Bond Head in Ontario.  Just wondering what people think of this new course.

Yannick Pilon

Re:The Club at Bond Head
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
This place looks scary!

Can't say I am a big fan of the look these guys tried to create.  Looks like a mix of an attempt at a minimalistic look, and a totally manufactured look...

Can't make up my mind if I "like" it, or totally hate it!
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:53:37 PM »
A friend of mine recently played this Hurdzan Fry course and brought me the yardage guide. Can you say "LONG"? 669 yard par 5, 499 yard par 4, Only 3 par 3's (one 242)...

They played it in the wind and it killed them. On one hole, one of their foursome hit driver, driver, 3 wood to reach the green.

Somehow, they enjoyed it though.

http://www.theclubatbondhead.com/thecourse.html

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »
Only 3 par 3's (one 242)...

Adam,

You forgot about the third, a stout 253 yds. :o
My brother has played the course a couple of times and enjoyed it, but did mention the fescue that surrounds the bunkers is extremely penal and very, very difficult to extracte a ball from, and that's coming from a pretty strong guy.

TK

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 03:26:02 AM »
I've played it twice over the summer.  It actually has 4 par 3's.  Two (3 & 15) really long and two (5 & 17) moderately short.  It's been rated at 76.8 from the tips which would make it the toughest in Canada, I think.  It's sloped at 146 from the tips, but I can't imagine why any bogey golfer would want to play from back there.  Even the Blues at 6400 yards is a stern test.

The bunkers are the most penal I've seen anywhere (at least in Scotland you can usually play the ball ot sideways or even backward in one shot).  These bunkers have random fescue patches that can be 2 or 3 feet high, in the bunker, and the bunkers are all ringed by ragged edges of a couple of feet of similarly high fescue.  It's quite possible to lose a ball in the bunker surrounds.  Although it creates an interesting look, it creates some shots that are almost unplayable.  Not sure what the point is.

There are some marvelous holes, the short par 3 5th, followed by the drivable par 4 6th, from an elevated tee straight down a bunker strewn fairway to a green backed by a pond, the risk/reward par 5 16th, and the uphill par 4 18th, cut along a ridge, come to mind.

Then there are some silly holes; for example, the par 650 yard par 5 6th is a long slog driving off over a pond to a fairway that has two columns of penal bunkers up the left centre and right centre of the fairway.  It takes a mathematician and the yardage book to plot how to weave shots between the bunkers or over one and short of the next.  It creates strategy, but is way overdone, especially on such a long hole.  The two long par 3's, each around 250 yards, also have perched greens with serious runoffs and guarded in the front quarters by deep penal bunkers.  It's impossible for us mere mortals to even hold the greens with the long clubs we have to use to reach them (even from the middle tees).

The course is completely fescue, and is still patchy in many fairways (not a long enough grow in period?)

There are some quirky touches, like 5 foot flag sticks, which play havoc with your depth perception and make some greens appear to be sunken when they're not.

The green complexes are all challenging, most with severe undulations, runoff areas, and deep bunkers.

This course looks different from anything in this area, and certainly plays hard from any of the tee blocks.  On balance, there are probably more interesting holes than frustrating ones, so it's well worth a play - especially now that their afternoon rates are down to $80, including cart.

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 08:48:27 AM »
Played Bond Head a few weeks ago and enjoyed it for the most part. The 2 600 yard par 5's was a little much, though I did like the width #12 gave you. The bunkers can be a little daunting and visually stunning, I found they didn't play that tough. A few highlights I found

#5 - Par 3 - Nice short green w/ a deceptive background.
#6 - Short/drivable par 4 w/ a minefield of biunkers. Playing left off the tee is safe, but from that angle the approach to the green is ridiculously tough. Liked it alot.
#9 is a great short par 5 w/ a great green site cut into the side of the hill.

#11 - liked the short par 4 and the way the bunker at the green should define your play off the tee. Wish I would have known that before I teed off.

#17 - very good mid length par 3. If the pin is back right it's a great trempt, but play to the center of the green.

#18 i- good finisher tough up the hill to a well bunkered sloping green.

The price is a little steep, don't know how they plan to keep a good flow of traffic at that price, especially w/ the other (North) course openeing up. From the views the North course looks like it's got some pretty severe terrain.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Dave Kemp

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »
I played it earlier this summer about a week before it opened and absolutley loved it.  Mind you the wind was down, the fescue had not reached it's full height and the bunker edges were not at their gnarliest.   Played it from the second to back tee blocks (7000 yds) which meant a lot of long irons into the greens for this shortish hitter.  

I remember the sixth hole for its options, the 14th for its strategy, the 17th as killer par 3, the long uphill trek on 18 and the attack swan on number 10.

Was out there one day later in the summer when the wind was up and thought to myself , today would be a great day to play.  Unfortuately no time that day or since for a return visit.  Need to get out there before it closes next weekend.  Which reminds me I need to run and meet my better half for a drink at the Bistro in the very nice clubhouse.  No kids for a couple of hours so we get to treat ourselves.  ;D

PS The North course is going to be soemthing to see as well.  The elevations are spectacular.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back