News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Johnson

Caddie only courses
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:05:41 PM »
We here at The Minikahda Club are proud to say we have one of the best caddie programs in the state of Minnesota.  And why shouldn't we, this is where Chick Evans won the US Open and began the Evans Scholarship Fund.  But his past year we have seen our caddie rounds slip slightly.  About 20% of our rounds are caddie rounds.  Down from 23%.

Just curious as to how many courses there are that are caddie only.  The tradition of the game is important to us and not that we will ever be caddie only, the almight cart is too important to some people.  Being from the Midwest I know of no caddie only courses around here.  I know at Merion one must use a caddie, but what other "classic" golf courses have a caddie only policy.  

I plan on writting an article regarding the tradition of the game for our newsletter and would like to include the names of some of the best clubs in the country as a little leverage on the subject.  

Jeff Johnson
Superintendent
The Minikahda Club
Jeff Johnson

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Caddie only courses
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:08:59 PM »
Merion East, Stonewall Old, Pine Valley are those in the Philadelphia area that come to mind quickly. At Merion and Stonewall, a golfer can also carry their own bag.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:11:43 PM »
In California, what comes to mind quickly is Cypress Point.  

There are others - I'd guess all are private.  Some resort courses have caddies as an option (like Pebble Beach and others in the Pebble Beach resort family).

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »
Caves Valley in Baltimore.
Mr Hurricane

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:19:39 PM »
Nearly every course in the Far East .

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
I know Mayacama, north of Santa Rosa, CA has caddies. Don't know if it is caddies only. San Francisco GC has caddies as well. I think carts are available only with a medical excuse.  

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »
Dunes Club in Michigan...also I believe Whistling Straits is caddies only...although you can carry your own bag after twilight.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:29:47 PM by Andy Troeger »

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 01:34:43 PM »
I know Mayacama, north of Santa Rosa, CA has caddies. Don't know if it is caddies only. San Francisco GC has caddies as well. I think carts are available only with a medical excuse.  

David -

Olympic Cliffs is caddies or carry  ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 01:37:16 PM »
In California, what comes to mind quickly is Cypress Point.  

Tom,

I think carts are allowed at Cypress -- I have seen them there, but maybe that is medical use only.  

Mike

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
Winged Foot?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 01:42:23 PM »
Mike D - you might be right re CPC.  We need Mr. Huntley to confirm.

And based on that, well I'm not sure we do have ANY courses in CA that would be caddie or not play.  I'd have to guess all of them have a few carts to be used for medical reasons.  So whereas David T. is right about Mayacama and SFGC in that it sure seems to be caddie only, well would anyone be surprised if each of those also keep a cart or two for this reason?

Let's assume that's a normal exception for purposes of this thread.  I'd guess you are doing so.

So the question is does Cypress allow carts outside of this "medical exemption"?  It's such a great walking course... but the members surely can do whatever they want...I wouldn't be surprised either way.

TH

Jason Mandel

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »
Chevy Chase Club in Maryland.  Caddies only, except on sundays when members are allowed to carry their own if they choose.

Those with medical excuses or those high ranking federal officials, are also allowed to use a cart on occasion.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:56:49 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Michael Moore

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 02:16:34 PM »
Friar's Head?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 02:16:49 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 02:19:14 PM »
One of the attractive qualities of Ballyneal WILL be the walking only aspect, and the opportunity to support the local caddy program.

I don't know about the rest of you, I'm much happier spreading my little wealth, through over-tipping a quality job, than just getting the never-ending touch, from some multi-national conglomerant.

JohnV

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
Oakmont is caddies only until about 2:30 in the afternoon when you can carry your own bag.  Carts are available for those who can't walk.

East Lake is caddies only also.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »
Adios in Fl. and Sucession in Beaufort SC are both caddie only courses.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 02:58:11 PM »
Many of the clubs in the NY Metro area seem to be that way.

Do most people think that this is a good idea?  What is wrong with a member wanting to carry his own clubs or pull a cart?

Does a crowd of 4 players and 4 caddies not detract a bit from the experience?

How about the difference between adult caddies trying to make a living and charging $100 to $160 (for a double) as opposed to a kid for $20 plus tip and the learning experience?  

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 03:00:14 PM »
Add Kinloch in Virginia.  Great caddie program.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 03:08:21 PM »
Lou:

In my experience with private clubs in the greater New York / New Jersey area you would not likely get four individual caddies for four players during regular club play.

The caddymaster would likely have two bags for each caddy if all the players walk.

Shivas mentioned that players who opt for only carts usually still have to take a caddie for the group. That is true for this part of the USA as well. In most cases the use of caddies / carts is a given until a certain part of the day -- usually late in the afternoon many of the clubs will permit the member / guest to carry their own bag if desired.

Lou -- the only thing worse than being a fan of Osama Bin Laden is to say you are a proponent of pull carts for clubs within my neck of the woods. They are not only frowned upon -- which is utterly inane -- but they are never a part of the scenery for the overwhelming bulk of clubs.

In regards to your last question -- many clubs have tiered caddie programs. If you want the proverbial high school kid likely just a toter you can get him but expect nothing in terms of real course knowledge. If you want an "A" caddie it's very likely the base fee will be $50 plus tip per bag.

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 03:19:26 PM »
shivas:

They are HUGE at Bandon Dunes.  Damn near everyone who doesn't take a caddie takes a pullcart.  They really work well.  Not sure if that helps given it's a resort, but it is a big name.

TH
(meeting on hold, waiting for leader to show - still dying at hockeyfights.com)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 03:21:10 PM »
I am embarrassed to say that Baltimore Country Club has them and they actually get used. :-X
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:21:32 PM by Jim Franklin »
Mr Hurricane

Cory Lewis

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »
Mayacama does have and allow carts, I saw several of them in use when I played there in August, I'm sure caddies are encouraged but it's a very tough walk, so it doesn't surprise me that they have some carts.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Paul_Turner

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »
There is something odd about seeing 6-8 guys in one group.  At Bandon you see that everywhere.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »
Shivas,

There is another thread on pull carts.

Long Cove in Hilton Head Is. allows pull carts.  The Columbian Club of Dallas, a high-end Jewish club in the north suburbs allows them.  Judging from the parking lot, this practice has nothing to do with the members being too cheap to hire a caddie or take a riding cart.

If you recall, Monterey Pennisula CC allows pull carts.  I am not sure, but I think that the Valley Club of Montecito does as well.

Paul Turner,

At Sand Hills, even with the large scale of the place and the lovely surroundings, a couple of the holes felt crowded with eight guys around the greens and another eight walking up to their drives.

Call me anti-social, but I had a fantastic time a couple of weeks ago playing 13 holes between 5:30 and 6:50 p.m. by myself at a great cours with not a soul in front or behind me.
It was just after a storn, and having to take a caddie in that instance would've greatly detracted from the experience.

Chris Kane

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 06:19:31 PM »
Shivas:
Royal Melbourne
Kingston Heath
Barnbougle Dunes

They are used at almost every club in Australia.  I can't see why any rational golfer would have a problem with them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back