News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Pennard Pics
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:40:49 PM »
Finally some pics of Pennard.  This has been a serious strain on my mental health so I hope it works!

The second hole taken from the #2 tee side of the green.  This is a 130 yard hole with a sunken, semi-blind green.  The is usually a strong cross wind coming toward the camera.  

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:22:44 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Sean_A

Re:Pennard Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »
The par 3 5th from the tee.  Not terribly long at ~160ish, but once again, the wind whipping up the pill plays havoc with the tee shot.  All the trouble is short, unles you go long!

The Pill looking from the 6th fairway.

40 yards short of the 6th green.  This is another punchbowl type green which repels approaches.  There is a clever little hollow long right.  Not a good place to be.

From the 10th tee.  A lovely view that can't fail to inspire.  The drive is a different matter.  The hazard at the bottom of this little valley is very reachable.  A 3 wood is advisable, but this makes it tough to get home in two.  

The 10th approach.  Uphill and usually over bunkers.  

From the tee of the 11th.  An all-world par 3 with a false front green.  Again, not a terribly long one shotter, but treacherous.

Another par 3 hole, the 13th.  Just shy of 200 yards, but usually into a quartering wind.  There is more you room to the left than it appears.  Right is dead.

The 13th from behind the green.  

The par 4 18th from the front of the tee.  A good closer.  Calls for a cutty sark.  The pony kept running at usthen running away, playing some sort of game.  It surely made my day.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:35:18 AM by Sean Arble »

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »
And a few of the par four 7th.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:14:47 AM by Sean Arble »

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:31:20 PM »
Wonderful terrain, it looks like someone just mowed the grass shorter for the greens and cut a hole. Thanks for posting the photos, Sean.

On the last couple, you probably just linked to a thumbnail rather than the actual photo.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Levett

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 03:43:23 AM »
Great to see those pics Sean.  :o
Pennard's been on my top 5 'must-play-and-can-realistically-hope-to' list for ages and they reminded me why.
Thanks for making the effort.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:30:08 PM »
Keep at it Sean - I made lots of silly slips at first.  

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:00:53 PM »
Looks fabulous. A definite addition to my wish list.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Allen_Rebstock

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 04:56:11 PM »
Sean
  I had the good fortune early summer to play two rounds there and thought the site was one of the most spectacular I've ever seen.  The Par 5 16th, that played into a 40 mph win, was the highlight.  But holes 6, 7, 10, 16, & 17 (even with the horses) great.  Rugged but great links golf. How about that tee shot on #10?   Not much fairway visiable from tee but good hole.    

Did you play any other courses in Wales?

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:08:45 PM »
Charming. Has always been on my list. Much thanks for a "taste" of the Pennard experience. Great effort!!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 07:38:10 PM »
  Very Nice Pictures.....Did anyone else notice how similar the 5th green setting is to the 17th at Crystal Downs.  The slope of it and even the backdrop is very similar.

Note Ran's Crystal Downs Write-up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 07:40:22 PM by Jonathan McCord »
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 08:08:08 PM »
Sean:

Can you give me your take on the par-5 4th hole? I just believe the turning area at the dog-leg is quite inane. Frankly, most people would be better served to simply play down towards the 6th green.

The OB is quite close on the right and you lose nothing in terms of the hole by playing down the area I have described.

One other thing -- the uphill 6th hole is vastly underrated by many who come to Pennard. Many simply want to leap ahead and take on the superb short par-4 7th but the 6th suffers no fools.

P.S. How has the new Nicklaus course been received that's opened in Wales?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 11:23:38 PM »
#6 is really difficult if you shove your tee ball into that pesky bunker on the right side!  ::)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 09:48:10 AM »
Sean:

My issue with #4 is that IT IS so ill-defined. When you stand on the back tee at #4 -- a tee that forces the player to shoot over the back of the 3rd green -- you have to really study just what the hole calls for.

The quick turning aspect of the hole -- with the OB pinching in from the right -- does make the player have to really examine what to do. I don't see much gain in playing the hole as intended.

Frankly, the ill-defined nature made me simply play up the towards the 6th green and go at the green from that location. Yes, it's possible to catch the greenside bunker at #6 but the risk is certainly worth the gain in my book.

Thanks for the update on Machynys. My last visit to Wales in '03 did not allow for a play since the course had not opened. I believe the layout is by Steve Nicklaus -- do the locals view it as just another American layout that falls outside the traditional golf you find in Wales.

One other question -- has construction begun on the 18 holes that will hold the Ryder Cup in 2010 at Celtic Manor? I know the existing course will be changed. Have any details emerged on what the routing / holes will be?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back