News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Inverness Club information
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:48:16 PM »
According to Cornish and Whitten, Donald Ross added nine holes and revised nine holes in 1919.  William Flynn spent several weeks doing work at the course in 1921, working with E.J. Marshall, the green chairman.  

I have attempted to speak with a club member I know and the professional staff.  Most have not replied.  Of those that did, no one has any information as to what may have been done by Flynn (or anyone else for that matter) in 1921.  Does anyone here know of a member that might have an idea? Perhaps Tom MacWood can be of help.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:48:57 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Inverness Club information
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:40 PM »
Wayne - About four years ago I was given plenty of help (though nothing to do with Flynn's involvement) by the 'Master Professional' a man called David S Graf.  419.535.9756 and there was an e-mail: Inverness@aol.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Mark.  I'll get right on it.

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 07:41:31 PM »
Wayne,
I believe Arthur Hills is a member at Inverness.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 07:45:16 PM »
Wayne,

Inverness has published a history of the club from 1903 to 2003.

I'm sure, that if you contact the club, you can purchase a copy.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »
Craig,

Since Art Hills is such a good friend of yours, next time you have dinner with him, would you please ask him about William Flynn at Inverness in 1921?  He's likely to respond "Flynn who?  Oh yeah, I did sensitive restorations at two of his courses."

Pat,

Thanks, I'll ask them.  I put in a call to the head professional, David Graf.  He was in a meeting but hopefully he'll call today.  One of the asst. pros said if there's anyone that would know about Flynn's involvement it would be he.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:09 AM »
Wayne,

Herman Lang was the head professional when I played there in the mid 1970s.  The man was "old school" with great breadth and depth of knowledge.  I am not sure if he is still alive (he'd be in his late 70s/early 80s), but if he is, he'd probably be a good source.  The club was always good about furthering the best interests of the game, and if Mr. Lang is still around, I think that they would help you find him.

Good luck.

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks, Lou.  I'll mention Mr. Lang to David Graf and see if I can track him down if he's still alive.  Do you have an idea how long he was at Inverness?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:39:29 AM »
According to the club's website, 1966 - 1979.

http://www.invernessclub.com/html/history/Staff.html

When I met Mr. Lang in the 1970s, he was generous with his time and seemed to know a lot about the club's history, the architectural changes (pre and post Fazios).  If memory serves me, this was shortly after the Lon Hinckle tree incident at the US Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back