News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dennis_Harwood

Re:O.T. - The Greatest Game Ever Played
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »
Dan - it would appear that the book and the movie have it correct showing stymies being played in stroke play in 1913 in the US.  See this link, which proves that a quick search on yahoo (or google) can find anything one wants in this life:

http://www.ruleshistory.com/green.html#stymie

;D

Tom-- That is correct--If you watch Bobby Jones marvelous lesson films a great deal of footage is devoted to shots over and around the stymie, which was a part of both match and stroke play until at least the 30s.

As an interesting sidelight, most the scorecards of the day and the USGA Rulesbook are 6 inches long to create a handy means to measure the stymie distance

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 05:03:22 PM »
Bette and I really enjoyed the movie...not a masterpiece, but all in all it was excellent for a golf movie.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

paul cowley

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 09:10:04 PM »
I had been avoiding this thread till I had seen the movie, which I did last night....a very enjoyable event shared not only by me but my non-golfing companion who enjoyed it immensly .....her only previous experience was 5 days spent in Detroit at the last Ryder cup.....god love her ::)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Norbert P

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »

My favorite golf portrait. (Framed on my wall)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 09:41:49 PM by Norbert Painter »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Philippe Binette

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 08:11:42 AM »
It's a good golf movie...

Best moments for me: third round in the rain...
No golf shots really shown, just the players faces and reactions, the rain and a emotional music...

If you ever played a match in pouring rain, that's exactly how it feels...

Ted Kramer

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
Very good movie.
Both my wife and I enjoyed it.
Vardon was portrayed as a perfect gentleman.
Based on how he was reflected in the movie I am going to see about picking up some books either written by or about Mr. Vardon.

-Ted

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »
Vardon was portrayed as a perfect gentleman.
Based on how he was reflected in the movie I am going to see about picking up some books either written by or about Mr. Vardon.

Then you'll want to pick up the book that the movie was based upon.  Perhaps there will be a sequel to the movie based on the details of Vardon's life that they omitted from the book.  They probably had to avoid some of the book's observations about Vardon.  Otherwise, the audience would have been confused about whom to pull for in the movie.

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 10:06:19 PM »
 I liked it too, I like the kid actor in Holes and the Disney show he had (hey, I have kids) .

I'd love to see a movie about Lloyd Mangrum and the tough life of golfers of his era making ends meet.  Heck, a movie about Texas golfers and why they rose to the top of the PGA would be work, too.  I’ll start the outline and rough draft.  Who will Johnny Depp play?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back