News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jg7236

Re:"Dream Come True"
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 09:50:35 PM »
I am thinking about setting up the entire trip myself.  What do you guys think, is it possible?  I am currently waiting to hear about my application for Septmember of 2006 for Muirfield and the Old Course.  

I am also waiting to hear back from a few experienced people that have lots of experience in traveling to Scotland.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 10:24:03 PM »
If you want to plan it yourself, Allan McAllister Ferguson publishes a good book, "Golf in Scotland, A Travel-Planning guide" that has profiles of 60 great courses and lots of advice on planning, B&Bs, how to get on TOC, other good advice.  He is a big fan of picking a base and not moving every couple of days.

Check out his website, www.fergusongolf.com

Planning, in my opinion, is more than half the fun.

jg7236

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 01:51:23 AM »
Thank you!  I spoke with him earlier in the week, he is sending the book to me.

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 10:15:21 AM »
John - it certainly CAN be done, and Bill is right, it is kinda fun.  I wouldn't say HALF the fun, but then again I've become spoiled by others doing it for me and having everything work perfectly.   ;)

In any case it is a lot of work and requires a lot of phone calls, faxes, emails, etc.  Thus again, it's fun if you have time for this, no fun at all if you're trying to work that into an otherwise busy life.  It's also quite possible you get shut out of places where a tour operator might get you on.

But most importantly, when I've done it myself the toughest part has been juggling all the tee-times... you're going to get NO replies on some you want, without a doubt, so then you have to change that day you had planned, perhaps change another course you already had booked, etc.  The more flexibility you have and the less tied you are to any "must play" courses, the easier it will be for you.  And the same goes in reverse, it being tougher the more tied you are to courses and less flexible you are.  Also the more time you have the easier it is... but it sounds like you won't have all that much time.  

Factoring in The Old Course into this will also be quite problematic... not impossible, but difficult... with only a week to use, well...

I'm sure it will all work out fine.  And it is fun.  Just understand things can go wrong doing it yourself.

TH

Mickey Boland

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 10:24:01 AM »
Second the opinion on Ferguson.  I've been using his new book and speaking with him to help plan my trip next year.  Both have been a great resource, and I'm still debating whether to plan the entire trip myself or use his services.  

And I also second the opinion of planning actually being part of the fun.  As the main trip organizer (4 of us going) I've had a lot of fun looking into the various places we might play, where we might stay, etc.  I've sent voluminous e-mails to the other three guys going over everything and getting their feedback.  What with the Web these days, it's easy to get info on not only the golf courses themselves (almost every one I've looked into has their own website), but hotels, B & B's, etc.  And, last but not least, a number of GCA'ers have chipped in with some good advice to me.

Right now, depending on how my application to St. Andrews fares, we're planning on three nights in St. Andrews, followed by three nights in Dornoch.  Our travel itinerary gives us seven golfable days, and my group is debating how many rounds we actually want to play.  We're going to play at least once every day, and will probably have 2, maybe 3, days of multiple rounds.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 10:55:10 AM by Mickey Boland »

Andy Doyle

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 11:56:30 AM »
I also enjoy planning trips myself.  I haven't been to Scotland (yet), but I've set up my own trips to Ireland twice.  With email and the Internet, I didn't find it to be too difficult.

Another good travel resource for the do-it-yourselfer:

http://www.golfadventureguides.com/

AD

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 02:58:43 PM »
JNGIV,
remember and stop by sunny Fife-shire whilst here, so Sir Rihcard or myself can buy you a beer! ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jg7236

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 06:27:07 PM »
Martin,

I will indeed contact you for a few cocktails.

Cheers,

John

Will Hubbard

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »
John,

I went to Scotland last year and planned it myself. It gets you charged up to correspond with the secretaries of the clubs.  

My advice If you must play TOC, then stay at the Dunvegan a night and get a time from them.  Then plan the rest yourself.  

If you have flexibility and will not die if you don't get on the TOC, then enter the ballot in the middle of the week a few times and hope for the best.  There are many other great options if the ballot is unkind.  

The clubs i dealt with were fairly accomodating by corresponding with email.  Most have websites.

THuckaby2

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »
Aw hell, Will is right.  It does get one VERY charged up corresponding with the secretaries of these famous clubs.  It was REALLY cool back in the day (god I sound old) when it was done via post... I still have the letters on club stationery I got back giving me my tee times way back when... I remember my roommates and I running to open those up... It is really cool.

And staying at the Dunvegan - or one of the other local hotels that will get you an Old Course tee time - is a fine compromise.

The whole key here is, however, that you don't want to skimp, nor miss out on any of your dream courses.  Oh you may go back some day, but life is strange, you may not.

Whatever makes your dream come true, that's the way to do it.  I'd just hate to have you miss part of that dream because you're trying to plan the "fun" way.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2005, 10:30:14 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure the Dunvegan can get you a time on the TOC.  Jack put us on the ballot last year when my brother and I went to St Andrews.  It was great; we arrived on Sunday, he had put us in the ballot on Saturday (closed Sunday) and we played at 6:30 am Monday (first time!).  The course is absolutely wonderful when you're first out.

THuckaby2

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 10:12:49 AM »
Bill - the Dunvegan got us our times on TOC.  I'm not sure HOW they did it - maybe it was through the ballot - but they did make it happen.

And I too went first group off last time there - VERY cool - 3 hour round and we were dawdling, trying to make it last.

;D

Ted Kramer

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 10:15:47 AM »
Thank you!  I spoke with him earlier in the week, he is sending the book to me.

I too am working with Mr. Fergusson and using his book to plan my trip to Scotland.

-Ted

jg7236

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 11:44:48 PM »
Good Evening To All:

I feel that I am pretty damn good when it comes to surfing the web.  I am having trouble finding a up to date map of Scotland with airport locations and golf course locations.

Can anybody help me?

Cheers,

John

Paul_Daley

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2005, 06:02:06 AM »
John G:

TOC
North Berwick
Prestwick
Cruden Bay

Build on this group and you'll come back as one educated dude!

Once nailed in the itinerary, look to Machrihanish, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Royal Dornoch, Old Moray (Lossiemouth), Brora, Western Gailes, Kingsbarns, Montrose, Turnberry, Royal Aberdeen and Murcar to round out your trip. One very popular links on the Moray Firth, Nairn, can be missed. It's okay, but doesn't set the world alight.

Have a bonny trip.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2005, 09:56:34 AM »
Here's a link to a site that I use when I want to check something real quick.  Not as detailed as some others, but I still have found it useful.
http://www.scotlandforgolf.co.uk/courses/index.shtml

In addition, Ferguson's book is just a wealth of information on the courses, locations, fees, contact numbers, etc.

jg7236

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »
Thank you!

jg7236

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »
Good Evening:

How long will it take for St. Andrews Old Course to review my application for a tee time for next September of 2006?  I got a reply back from Muirfield in about 1 week.

Cheers,

John

Mickey Boland

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »
An e-mail newsletter I received from Allan Ferguson said they are replying "by post" in 4 - 6 weeks.  I applied on the first day, Sept. 7th, and haven't heard back yet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back