News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

Re:No More Pegs!
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 01:48:53 PM »
Adam & Forrest -

Funny you should ask...

I played Baltusrol Lower yesterday with a Touring Pro who I was fortunate enough to have also played with at Wachovia.  I am longer with a tee, but he also knows my game enough that I am going to try to kill it when its been teed high.  I carry the tee-less ball about 260 and a teed up one 280+.  He thought that he would lose 20-30 yards until he had built up enough "Deck time" on the range.

The deck ball is a great tempo/ball contact drill as well.

JWK

Will Hubbard

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2005, 03:58:21 PM »
Have not read the entire thread, but the big problem is

CHICKS LOVE THE LONG BALL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2005, 07:00:06 PM »
Well I guess that having dinner with Peter Dawson is just a ticket to ridicule.  Nevertheless, I'd like to see this tried in an event somewhere and see what effect it really did have on the top players.  

I watched a 150-pound South African youth hit 340-yard drives for three days last week [he almost drove the fifth green at Carnoustie, downwind] and I don't think he could be quite so confident without a peg.

Maybe I can get the ASGCA to ban tee pegs for its annual tournament, if I promise to join.

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »
TomD:

This is what you said in the first post;

"I had an interesting dinner discussion last night about technology, and one of the people at the table said that if things really got out of hand a simple rule change would stem the tide ...
No more tee pegs.  Just place the ball on the grass and try to hit it from there with your 7-degree driver.
It would make superintendents' lives a bit harder, but it would undoubtedly eliminate most of the 350-yard drives I've seen this week."

Is this person at the Dunhill Cup who made that recommendation, be it Dawson or not, seriously proposing this Rule change for all golfers or just tour pros or golfers who are capable of hitting 350 yard drives off tee pegs, or whatever?

If they're proposing it as a rule change for all golfers it's one of the most impractical things I've ever heard---and if they're just proposing it as rule change for just such as tour pros and 350 yard drivers it's even more impractical. Have you ever watched little old men and ladies try to hit something like a 3 wood off the deck? Well, most of the time they don't have much fun doing that. And now you want to make them do it with their driver off the deck on tee boxes? Jeeesus Christ, what a dumb idea---and for what?

Is it any wonder that the USGA and the R&A often seem so aloof to some? Wouldn't you be aloof too if you had to deal with 100 suggestions every other day from people like this that their own little pet solution is the salvation for golf?

Why not ban golf gloves, or grips on clubs, or maybe make a rule that no one can play golf with golf shoes on?  Why not ban ball washers, or even tee boxes altogether? Golf seemed to gain popularity about two hundred years ago when the rules required the golfer to play his drive on the next hole from within a clublength to the previous hole's cup, or......

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2005, 09:53:50 PM »
Tom — Oh, be serious. What could be more appropriate than a wooden tee for casual golfers, but a restriction for the tour player? There are a host of rules and restraints on tour players that do not apply to the average Joe or Jane on the course.

I am really serious when I look into my crystal ball and see tour players NOT teeing it up...the results woudl be truly fabulous.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

paul cowley

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2005, 10:11:52 PM »
TomD re:....'Maybe I can get the ASGCA to ban tee pegs for its annual tournament, if I promise to join.' ...probably is a non starter but I would be more than happy to play with you  sans tees, shoes, clubs pre-1890 and with anyone else so inclined [eh TP?]....tis the new old wave of the future.

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
Forrest:

Nice post---and without a single smiley face to boot. I know you by now though, and I know you've got one of the driest senses of humor on this website. (Smiley or no smiley? Eenie, meenie, minnie, moe---nah, no smiley!).

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:38 PM »
Paul:

I'll play but only if you promise to show up dressed like a Reb or a revolutionary colonist. I'll come disguised as Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox".

(The "Swamp Fox" is the great, great uncle of my little blond Irish/American wife! I kid you not. She's the greatest about 99.9% of the time but if I happen to push her past that other .1% of the time, the "Swamp Fox" comes out in her and it definitely ain't pretty!).

paul cowley

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2005, 10:35:17 PM »
TEP...great post [#56] and you sure have Forrest 'pegged'...one dry son of an ombre with little but Valerie as an oasis......... ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:39:07 PM by paul cowley »

paul cowley

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2005, 10:46:58 PM »
Tep....you're on and I guess its your choice of 'weapons'....lets do pre 1890 if you do not mind , limit 4 clubs...well 5 if you insist ......please bring your lov'ly wife to start it all........!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 06:08:59 AM by paul cowley »

TEPaul

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2005, 11:09:53 PM »
"TEP...you sure have Forrest 'pegged'..."

Paul:

Do you think so? I'm not so sure. He may be trying to play me right off the deck with a 7 degree driver.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2005, 03:36:24 AM »
Let it be known that I carry a Ping Chippo®...a renegade club of unknown degree, but plenty of karma.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back