News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Firm and Fast conditions.
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:51:30 AM »
Has anyone actually heard anyone say that they do not like firm and fast conditoins---at least "through the green"?

And if that's true wouldn't you logically think that's a very important fact to mention, explain and promulgate?  ;)

Admittedly, getting it actually done on many golf courses is not that simple or quick a matter to do, but first steps first, I always say!  ;)

Craig Disher

Re:Firm and Fast conditions.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:28:11 AM »
TEP,
Sure have - especially the putting surface. I've heard many golfers refer to firm greens as "unfair" when their approach fails to dig into the turf and stop. When I point out that perhaps a rolling approach might have been a better idea their reply is that golf wasn't meant to be played that way - the aerial game, you know.

I think the only way to have golfers accept firm/fast is to expose them to high-quality designed and maintained with that in mind. A week-long tour of links courses in the UK isn't enough - they are often considered quirky museum pieces with a small greens budget. If more of the better public-access courses over here played firm and fast, I think convincing would be a lot easier.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:28:22 AM »
Tom,
Yes.
We have no fairway irrigation so as our course starts to firm up everyone initially enjoys the added roll but after a long dry spell the fairways turn into dust(slight exaggeration). Most players become uncomfortable without a cushion under their ball and
all of a sudden firm and fast through the green loses its appeal.

Two members from  ______ _____ came here to play while they were visiting their child at the school. They were complaining that their fairways were also "dust" and they really didn't think like that fact. They said they didn't mind fairways that were brown or firm or fast but dust was a pain in their asset.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:57:48 PM by jim_kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Philippe Binette

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
I could understand people complaining about firm and fast conditions on course where there's no room for ground game...

If it's firm and fast and a downwind, and several greens are surrounded by bunkers, or worst, lakes, then complained could occured...

Don't blame it on the super then, blame it on the designer....  

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 10:45:56 AM »
I would tend to say that while most people on this site do support the ground game and firm and fast conditions, there are many golfers that don't like them and many courses that don't play well with them.

Many who post on here absolutely hate "target golf" because it does not present options. However, those courses still exist and I would argue some are still very good, but they cannot be maintained firm and fast without become ridiculously hard/unfair. The important thing is that the conditions of the course as best as possible reflect the intentions of the architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back