News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

TPC courses.
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »
I've read some things recently about TPC courses, and how they seem to be gettig more formulaic.  Though Sawgrass is obviously the big cheese in the TPC collection, there is some dispute about some of the others.  I've only played TPC River Highlands and TPC Myrtle Beach.  I love River Highlands (best set of 4 finishing holes I've played), but I think that TPC Myrtle Beach is just like a hobo in a business suit.  It's well kept, but were it not a TPC course, I'm not sure how well-regarded it would be.

Are most/all TPC courses real golf courses with real legitimate strategy and thoughtful, or are they largely hobos-in-dress-clothes?

Any thoughts?

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Eric_Dorsey

Re:TPC courses.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 05:13:40 PM »
I've only seen a couple.  TPC @ Las Colinas, which I don't really care for, and TPC @ Craig Ranch, where I live.  I do think Tom Weiskopf has done a great job @ Craig Ranch - some spectacular holes were built on a nice piece of property.  Lots of creeks running through the property where he used them nicely with the tees, landing areas, and green sites I thought.

check out my pics of TPC @ Craig Ranch and see for yourself.

http://www.greenmambagraphics.com/gallery10.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:14:06 PM by Eric_Dorsey »

michael_j_fay

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 07:19:42 PM »
TPC River Highlands is a very good PGA tour course and that is about it.

The second set of tees puts you at about 5,900 yards. If you step it back it is 7,100+. Not much for elasticity.

I do not agree on the finishing holes. The driveable par four 15 is driveable only for the very high eschelon player. Common folk are really forced to lay back. The hole is only difficult if the green is missed nearby. Hit a three iron off the tee and you have a fairly simple wedge shot.

No. 16 is a par three with a green that has a substabtial left to right tilt mainly because it used to be played from a tee 90 degrees to the right.

17 is a classic TPC gimmick with the water hazard on the right and fronting the green. Eighteen is ok but has been outdated by the equiptment of today. It is about 450 but the fairway slants to the green at about 260 yards, Driver, lob wedge excites me not.

I've played TPC Sawgrass, Coral Gables, Sarasota, Tampa Bay, Avenal, River Highlands and a couple of others. I wish I had my greens fees back!

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
This is not a comment on TPC courses in general but back in the late 80s...maybe early 90s I played the TPC at Tampa Bay a lot.  The "clubhouse was a trailer" or something along those lines and the course had no homes on it.  I loved playing there and the course was a great challnge and had a real "walk in the park feel".  A couple of years ago I stopped by and I could not believe it was the same golf course!  I am sure my eye is not as good as many on this site but it is hard to believe that  the change in just the atmosphere had such a negative impact on my view of a golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back