News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Cheap Land
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:36:15 PM »
It seems to me that the unifying theme for the development of each wave of great courses has been inexpensive land that has been considered economically useless for anything else.

Linksland - useless for agriculture

Golden Age courses - built in the country (now in the city)

Current - very remote locations such as Sand Hills, Bandon Dunes, Cape Kidnappers and the like.  

One could also add wetlands prior to environmental regulations, superfund sites, abandoned gravel pits, Lava in Hawaii and the desert.

Can this theory predict where great courses will be built in the future?  Are there categories of land out there that are inexpensive, that have not been used for building golf courses, but someday will be?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Cheap Land
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:50:39 PM »
I believe there is talk of developing some islands in the Delaware River between Philadelphia and Camden/Pennsauken, NJ for  residential golf course community. I'll believe it when I see it!
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

moth

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:59:59 PM »
I suspect Cape Kidnappers was not that cheap - and certainly not useless land - pretty good sheep land actually.

Yes its remote - for Americans that is.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:28:48 PM »
Jason-

I wonder if some of the hundreds of EPA "brownfield" sites
have futures as golf courses. Island Green in Philadelphia
is a fairly new course built on a remediated site that once produced rail or trolley cars I believe. In fact, it is the first new daily fee course built in Philadelphia proper since the 1960's. (If anyone's played Island Green, is this course worth a trip?)

I bet we will see more and more courses built on these types of comparatively cheap properties.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:34:19 PM »
Jason -

Be sure to check Tom Doak's "Where in the World" thread for some ideas on where the next place for a "great" golf course might be. Certainly, Bandon & Sand Hills have proved that great courses can be built and viable as business enterprises in some relatively remote locations (here in the US at least).

My guess is the next building boom in golf courses will be in China. It may be underway already. It remains to be seen what the quality of those courses will be.

DT  

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 10:07:27 AM »
Brett - sorry to show my ignorance about Kape Kidnappers.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back