News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

This could be interesting ... (yes ... OT)
« on: September 14, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
We are getting down to the last few weeks.  Kind of like a Presidential Election, may the best of the worst win ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

Re:This could be interesting ... (yes ... OT)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 06:43:58 PM »
That dodger logo is upside-down.

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:48:17 PM »
I grew up in LA and do not believe in switching loyalty from one's home town teams.  I bleed Dodger blue.

My brother has lived in San Diego area for 20+ years and has none of the loyalty I do, so he lives and dies with his Pads.  

My son is baseball-crazy, and as a Bay Area boy rightfully loves his Giants.  His room is a shrine to them.  There is nothing Giant-related he doesn't own already or is begging for.

Oh yes, this has the makings for an interesting last few weeks.

;D

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 06:50:53 PM »
My spies tell me that Lynn Shackelford was in the stands last night at SBC Park cheering on Barry and the Giants.

Sources also indicate he played Harding Park - we eagerly await his opinions.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 06:55:09 PM »
I have no doubt your spies are correct, and Lynn is rather hard to miss.

I just have to question one thing:  why in the hell would he be a Giants fan?  The man has lived his whole life in SoCal.

But yes, we do eagerly await his opinions on Harding.  Of course all opinions are irrelevant if he's a life-long SoCal who somehow finds it in his cold heart to root for the hated Giants.

;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:12:22 PM »
Yep, I doubled jinxed those good old Giants into a loss ...  :'(

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:12 PM »
Mr. Benham,

Please note that this thread is not in conformance with the stated objectives of this site and should be removed at once.  I am greatly offended by the team logos; two of which represent teams poached and changed beyond recognition from their classical origins; the other an inappropriate allusion to Hispanic males.  A public apology is not necessary, but would probably start the healing process.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:35:41 PM »
What wil be interesting is watching a team with a sub .500 record win their division.  That's pathetic.

I see another Boston Massacre happening in the final series of the regular season for my Bronx Bombers.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 07:39:25 PM »
Is this about baaasball?

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »
the other an inappropriate allusion to Hispanic males.

The Giants and the Dodgers were not poached from their original homes, the owners made a business decision to relocate their business based on a traditional business metric that I know you understand ... location, location, location ...

I would prefer if you alluded to the religious overtones of the team's name as their garb of years past suggested ...

And Mr. Fortson, what is more pathetic, a sub-.500 team winning their division or a $ 200 million payroll team missing the playoffs?  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 01:58:14 AM »
Lou,
You could always email Ran and cry to him about the thread. Maybe then he will remove it.

Mike,
The Dodgers were finished in mid-May. After losing to the Colorad o Rockies tonight 8-7 after holding a 5-0 lead, I think the Padres will just barely have enough to hang-on, but its going to be close. Especially after the Giants sweep the Dodgers in the next four games.

But go ahead and let them have it. I would never want to be the division winner of the worst division in baseball history.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:13 AM »
Lou,
You could always email Ran and cry to him about the thread. Maybe then he will remove it.

Mike,
The Dodgers were finished in mid-May. After losing to the Colorad o Rockies tonight 8-7 after holding a 5-0 lead, I think the Padres will just barely have enough to hang-on, but its going to be close. Especially after the Giants sweep the Dodgers in the next four games.

But go ahead and let them have it. I would never want to be the division winner of the worst division in baseball history.

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy:

I never thought I would see the day when you would predict a Giants SWEEP of the Dodgers.  What's next, a good review for Tustin Ranch and Tijeras Ranch ;D?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 09:16:03 AM »
I think yesterday's extra inning loss to the Padres after leading by two in the eighth may have been the last straw for my beloved Giants.  They would have been four back, six will be quite a climb.  The rookies are playing well.  Disappointing.   :'(

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 09:28:36 AM »
On the other coast where teams manage to play .500 baseball, how about them Phillies?  Lose 5 straight and then come back right into the picture tied for the wild-card.  Tonight's game against the Braves (a chance for a 4-game sweep) is key and it should be a great one with Myers vs. Sosa.  There's life in the offense at times (they seem to score 1 run or blow teams out) and Rollins has a 20-game hitting streak batting .447 for the last 9 games.  

Sorry, I know this thread is about the western teams but they're Double-A squads.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 09:39:24 AM »
I grew up near Scranton, PA, about two hours from both New York City and Philadelphia, and not close enough to either to develop "hometown" loyalism.

As a very young kids collecting football and baseball cards in about 1965 I really liked the San Diego Chargers uniforms so they became "my team".  It was actually a good time to be a Chargers fan, in the heyday of Lance Alworth, John Hadl, Gary Garrison, Keith Lincoln, Dickie Post, Paul Lowe, etc...

Four years later a new expansion team started in San Diego, and not having any particular loyalties (I sort of like the Houston Astros...my brother was a Tigers fan, the kids up the street liked the damn Yankees), I latched on and became perhaps the only San Diego Padres fan east of the Rocky Mountains.

36 years later, I laugh when I hear of the long-suffering Cubs and Red Sox fans.  You guys surely don't know pain.  At least your teams have had many winning seasons and ballplayers to be proud of.

Me?

Let's see...I have Tony Gwynn, Nate Colbert (you know I'm reaching when I have to name a lifetime .250 hitter), Cito Gaston, the pitcher who threw the ball about 40mph (can't recall his name) that nobody could hit for a couple of years.

The highlight of my entire fandom was when my dad took us to Shea Stadium in 1971 or so for a doubleheader between the Padres and the Mets.  I was wearing my Padres cap and was the only person in the Sunday crowd of 50,000 who was cheering for San Diego.  Somewhat unbeliveably, the Padres won both games, by 3-1 and 4-2.  My heros Colbert and Gaston each homered.   I was in heaven.  My dad was in fear for his life.

But, other than that?

In all those years, ONE World Series, lost to my brother's Tigers.  Oh, the pain...the shame!

So, I hope this year's totally mediocre Padres hang onto their under .500 division leadership and pull an October surprise!!!

Lets go PADS!!!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 10:16:30 AM »
Tony Gwynn was an amazing player, one of the all-time great hitters in my mind.  3141 hits in 2440 games, .388 OBP (less than Richie Ashburn), 319 Stolen Bases, plus .300 post-season average and only 20 strikeouts a year on average with many seasons with over 600 at bats.  He will be inducted into the Hall of Fame for certain in 2007 and I am going for sure.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:18:47 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Mike_Golden

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 10:20:27 AM »
But, other than that?

In all those years, ONE World Series, lost to my brother's Tigers.  Oh, the pain...the shame!

So, I hope this year's totally mediocre Padres hang onto their under .500 division leadership and pull an October surprise!!!

Lets go PADS!!!!

Mike,

Have you already forgotten the Pads sweep by the Yankees in the 1998 World Series?  Remember, they were ahead in the first game until Tino hit one out?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »
Mike,

Have you already forgotten the Pads sweep by the Yankees in the 1998 World Series?  Remember, they were ahead in the first game until Tino hit one out?

Mike,

Duh...yep...fuggot about that one..

Probably convenient memory loss, which begs the question...

If a team appears in the World Series, but does not make a noticeable impact, can it really be counted as a World Series appearance?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:25:17 AM by Mike Cirba »

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 10:24:16 AM »
Good call, Mike G.  The Pads have had so little success over the years you'd think their tiny amount of glory would be ingrained in the memory of their fans.

;)

As for my Dodgers, well last night was one of the great chokes in modern memory.  But heck, we're used to that.  And pshaw Tommy, hope does spring eternal.  No way we get swept by Giants.  Far more likely is they split and then both the Giants and Dodgers are dead.

Me?  I'd love to win the division, no matter how horrible it is.  Because anything can happen in the playoffs... Hey I'm damn proud of having the least talented world series winning team ever, also (1988).  A ring's a ring.

TH
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:24:34 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 10:36:46 AM »

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 10:56:05 AM »
The Fife Advertiser doesn't really do Baseball, so I was shocked to learn of the blinding incompetence of the Dodgers, Padres, Giants, etc.

Maybe they should put them all in a re-constitued Pacific League and bring the major league franchises back to Harlem and Brooklyn, where they have always belonged........

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 11:03:06 AM »
I think the Pads would have had much better success had they not been so embarrassed to take the field in those brown and yellow unis!!!

Gotta love Dave Winfield, though. Wonder how many times he was the sole rep for the All Star game?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 11:07:30 AM »
I think the Pads would have had much better success had they not been so embarrassed to take the field in those brown and yellow unis!!!

Gotta love Dave Winfield, though. Wonder how many times he was the sole rep for the All Star game?

Craig,

The first version of those uniforms was pretty muted, and actually fairly original and attractive.  In the wild 70s, with the Oakland A's opening the way, the Pad's uniforms morphed into something resembling a third-world nation's softball team.  How anyone could think they looked good remains a fashion mystery to this day.  Not even sure Dev Emmett would have approved!  ;)

As far as sole representatives, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the Padres "lead" the league in the number of years they had a sole rep at the All Star game.

A nickel to anyone who can name their first All Star, in 1969.  I can do it without looking it up, which is pretty sad.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 11:08:54 AM by Mike Cirba »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 11:10:53 AM »
Morrison, you fairweather Phillies fan you. Oh, now that they haven't had their annual August disappointment and are still in it in late summer you become a fan? Come on! Three months ago you were cursing the very foundation of the organization despite my constantly telling you this year was different. Typical Philadelphian...

Friggen Iggles...

(A litany of smilies here... the teethy smile one, the tongue one... etc.)

:)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 11:36:38 AM »
Ok..ok...stop guessing...I'll come clean...

The first All-Star game representative from the Padres in 1969 was the awesomely talented catcher Chris Cannizarro.

For what did he deserve this honor?

Perhaps it was his .220 batting average for the year?

Or perhaps his defensive skills?

In the words of Casey Stengel, "Cannizarro is the only defensive catcher who can't catch."  

;D

In their 36 year history, the Padres have sent a SINGLE rep to the All-Star games 21 times!!  

That's pretty amazing.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back