News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

igrowgrass

Re:Where in the World?
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2005, 06:25:34 PM »
The city of Tacoma, WA supposedly has a piece of property near the Tacoma Narrows that provides great views there are contemplating to either develop or sale.  If it rains in WA as much as everyone says it does it would be a perfect site for a great links golf, because you would get the true cold, rainy conditions needed.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2005, 08:35:50 PM »
There is so much Federal Land that could be used for wonderful public golf if anyone could get them to lease it for a $1 per year.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2005, 12:21:26 AM »
Tibet  ;D
So you can caddy for The Big Hitter, the Dalai Lama.  Hope he doesn't stiff you.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »
Everytime I stand on the 17th tee at NSW I look back across the bay to Kurnell. The headland looks to have so many possibilities, even better than NSW.

Of course, there is an oil refinery there at the moment, but if the land was available, Oh Baby.

T_MacWood

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2005, 06:17:49 AM »
Turn Isle of Dauphin into a modern day Lido.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2005, 04:57:15 PM »
I'd just like to thank everyone for their suggestions, both on the record and off.  I've learned about some fascinating places and I hope that eventually many of them are developed for golf.  I can't think of another place where I could have received so many good suggestions in such a short period of time ... I'm thinking about taking a sabbatical and going to check some of them out myself!

It's certainly some ammo for the next time someone tells me that all the great sites have already been taken!

James Bennett

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2015, 05:05:27 AM »
Like Scott, I think New Zealand is a great option.  There is a piece of good land near Waipu, just north of Auckland.  You could capture all the people driving to Kauri Cliffs and it is not to far away from Auckland.  Other than that, there are plenty of coastal options or perhaps a piece of inland property such as a sheep station in the South Island.

Ash

did this property become the new development?  I was looking for something on Santiago and stumbled on this post from a decade ago.  Sounds like the new Doak course!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

Re: Where in the World?
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
Wondering if Tom ever built a course for this client....that was ten years ago.  If so, where?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »
Wondering if Tom ever built a course for this client....that was ten years ago.  If so, where?

Tara Iti

Tom_Doak

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Tara Iti

Actually, that potential client was a friend of Ric Kayne's, who hired us for Tara Iti.  So, indirectly, that was the project.

My other friend looked in South America regularly for a couple of years to try and find something there, but never did.  My trip down there for The Confidential Guide this past March was also sort of a scouting mission to see if he was right.  My conclusion was that there are great parcels of land for golf in South America, but you'd also have to have a client who didn't care if he ever got his money back, or who owned a LOT of land around the project and could afford to think very long-term, which is hard to do in most South American economies!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »
The globe-spanning spectacular courses are a sign of the times. 

I want to know who's going to build the next 7 in my backyard.  Common Ground - not holy ground.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
The globe-spanning spectacular courses are a sign of the times. 

I want to know who's going to build the next 7 in my backyard.  Common Ground - not holy ground.

Mike

Michael:

Projects like Common Ground seem rarer than holy ground.  I've had exactly ONE client ever whose goal was to spend their money to turn a $40 golf course into a really good, $40 golf course.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Tom, I was genuinely thrilled to review the tour of your new course in France.   You appear well on your way to being a legitimate minimalist.  I KNEW you had it in you.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Huge amounts of land in Florida...and with terrorism, who wants to travel?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
If I would be in the position to develop a world class destination golf resort, ocean or sea front wouldn't be my first choice. There are quite a few of these resorts in the world already. Who wants to go to the next Bandon or Barnbougle Dunes? And to match, let alone surpass Cypress Point seems to be virtually impossible. The same goes more or less for heathland courses. Why should one try to imitate Sunningdale or Royal Melbourne?

Mountain lakes belong to the most beautiful types of landscape to be found in this world, at least in my view. In Europe we are blessed with quite a lot of these lakes, especially in Switzerland, Italy, France and Austria. Land around these lakes is hard to get and extremely expensive. That's probably the reason you won't find many golf courses there (strict environmental rules won't help either). But if you want to develop a truly outstanding golf resort, this is the place to do it. How about Lake Geneva for instance? Absolutely beautiful, in the heart of Europe and with a mild micro climate.

archie_struthers

« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
 ???

TEP , can I get in on the gin game. Tink I might have some recency on both of you !  Lol

Seriously. , would love to see it somewhere closer to home for all involved , I've got an idea . Talk soon !

jeffwarne

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »

I'll take my chances with the terrorists... ;)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
I took the time to go back and read through this 10-year-old thread, and chuckled to myself that several of the proposed projects have actually happened, in one form or another. 

Nova Scotia is done, though not by me, sadly.  Tony Ristola got to build a course in the sand in Poland, and Dan Hixson did the course in the Palouse.  And Sean Reehorn must have been describing Chambers Bay!

But I did cover Montana and Nebraska and northern Michigan.  And I did get to do the project Rich described, almost to a tee, at Common Ground, letting my associates do the better part of it.  [They've also done one this year, without any involvement from me at all.]

I've also got a plan for St. Patrick's, whenever the new owners have money to pursue it.  ;)  And I'll try to keep my eyes open on my trips to Europe this year.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
There are few just OK golf courses in the Outer or Inner Banks of North Carolina. .... probably a lot of environmental hurdles??
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Doug Siebert

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »

You've got a better chance of being killed in a car crash driving to your local course than you do being killed by terrorists.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »

You've got a better chance of being killed in a car crash driving to your local course than you do being killed by terrorists.
And a significantly higher chance of being shot by a lunatic with a gun in the USA than almost anywhere else on earth.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »

And a significantly higher chance of being shot by a lunatic with a gun in the USA than almost anywhere else on earth.

Just take away all the lunatics guns

Mike_Young

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
dunes at Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Doug Siebert

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »

Just take away all the lunatics guns

Supposedly when the woman who was one of the San Bernadino shooters applied for her marriage visa, she was asked if she had any affiliation with terrorist groups. If someone idiot lawmaker/official thought a question like that works, maybe they'll make it a law that when someone wants to buy a gun, the seller must ask them if they are a lunatic!  ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
This might be worth taking a look at Tom. Over 150 acres at only $199,000 Canadian. Almost 900 feet oceanfront.
http://www.thinknovascotia.com/listings/details.asp?key=2314#details
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back