News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

Glen Oaks C.C.
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:02:19 AM »
I apologized in my Glen Cove Club thread for having a "senior moment". The club I am playing is Glen Oaks C.C. in Old Westbury, N.Y. Now that I've finally got my course correct, any info regarding same would be greatly appreciated as always!

Andy Silis

Steve Lapper

Re:Glen Oaks C.C.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:34:04 AM »
The "Pine Valley" of Food!!

Best Sunday dinner/bbq in the US...by and far ;D ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

grandwazo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:06:26 AM »
3 nines, just finished a relatively aggressive tree removal and bunker renovation project.  the course is usually in excellent shape and supposedly has weathered a very tough LI summer better than most.  i'll be playing there this friday myself.
my only complaint is that all three nines are pretty similar, long straight tree lined par fours and fives...lots of them.  it's hard to tell which nine you're playing, which hole you're on and if it's different than the one before.  of the 27 holes i think i can remember specifically 5 holes and i've played their 2 dozen times over the past ten years.  very large greens and it's important to get it close....not that there is a lot of undulation to the greens, they're just tremendous and it's easy to three putt them if you're lag putting is not a strength.
i would say the buffet at old westbury gc outshines the one at glen oaks, the on staff sushi chef making the difference for me.
enjoy

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »
Andy,

It was a Joe Finger course that was supposed to have a Concord flavor to it.

Some early soil problems and excessive trees caused conditioning problems from the get go.

Grandwazo,

Who did they retain for the recent project ?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
Old Westbury may have the full time sushi chef, but for great Sushi you simply go back down Post to Jerico and up 600 yards to Nagashima.  The food at Glen Oaks is probably the best in the US--the staff eats better than 99.9% of the club members in the US because they always prepare enough food so that no member will be waiting for the usual 5 star gourmet  serving--the executive chef has that background and they have a well trained full time pastry chef.  It is the Sand Hills, Cypress Point, Pine Valley together of fine dining!  As for the golf course, it has quite a few good holes, but still could lose 2000 more trees.  Only Piping Rock is in better condition among the North Shore clubs this year, but usually Glen Oaks is overwatered to a bright green look.  I'm biased because my buddy is the pro, but they have the best teaching program among the metro-NY clubs.  I've enjoyed the company of the members every year in the pro-member.  Quite a few members belong to Friars Head, Bridge, and Atlantic; Palm Beach, Banyon, Boca Rio, Frenchmans Creek, and a few other trophy clubs.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 05:24:08 PM »
Kay was used   Its a better hole now, but more could have been accomplished if a little imagination had been utilized.

grandwazo

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 09:24:59 PM »
Robert, I agree, Nagashima is pretty good (I ate there Saturday night) and Tim Shiflett is a great guy....but the food is better at Old Westbury.

Thank you as well for helping us out at Muttontown on Sunday, the Pro turnout was fantastic, I hope you enjoyed yourself.  How great a guy is Craig Thomas?

Pat...I think the work was done in house and Robert is correct, they could take down another 2000 tree's and no one would know....no one.  

The bunker work looked to be just repair and restoration, nothing changed with regards to strategy or appearance, except for #9 on one of the nines (like I said previously, they all seem to run together) that long hitters used to try and hit their tee shots over the tree line to cut the corner...they took the tree line down leaving a solitary tree in what is now the middle of the fairway allowing you to try and hit driver to the inside and catch a downslope setting up an easier shot in to the green.

The only other thing I will add is that they used what appeared to be marble or granite as a retaining wall on one of the par 3's whose color would work better in a kitchen or a bathroom (rust/brown) in one of the members's multi million dollar homes.  Purely an aesthetic complaint, but to me it could have been handled in a more natural way and kind of jumps out at me.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:32:21 PM »
Grandwazo,  I had a wonderful time Sunday.  Even with the long putter, I was wrestling a poorly held live rattlesnake--fortunately we had a great time together and played great golf until the last 2 holes.  With Craig, you could not do better.  He is better person than the player he was last year!  Not that this year has been a dud, he is just about the best at juggling head pro responsibilities and playing serious golf.  With John and Keith, you have a couple of awesome teaching and playing resumes.  I have a food pecking order and I always put Muttontown and Fresh Meadow on par but slightly below Glen Oaks because of quantity of incredible food.  And had North Shore and Old Westbury at the next level--which is still tip top by NYC picky spoiled dining standards. The best cheesecake this year was at Muttontown on Sunday.  It has been a couple of years since I've seen the traditional cheesecake with the thin sour creme topping to balance the taste--Inwood and Woodmere used to serve a great one from Brooklyn.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back