News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

Glen Cove Club
« on: September 10, 2005, 07:32:51 AM »
I'm playing Glen Cove Club on Long Island this coming Tues. Anything there of any architectural merit? As always, thanks for your responses in advance.

Andy Silis

Robert Emmons

Re:Glen Cove Club
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:20:14 PM »
billy mitchel design...very short...drainage issues with lots of geese...not much to take out of it

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 07:43:20 PM »
That's funny, I grew up in Glen Head, Long Island (right next to Glen Cove) and I can't say I've ever even heard of the course. Or maybe I'm just getting old and can't remember hearing about it. I sure do know I've never seen it.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:07:12 PM »
Tom,

Glen Cove GC is a Town course built in the 70's. It sits on Long Island Sound just a mile or two west of The Creek. I have never played it, but drove back in there one day. I believe it is sub-5500 yards or so, with some similarly pretty views of The Sound. Mitchell also did the under the radar Noyac Golf Club between Southampton and Sag Harbor.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 04:01:28 AM »
MikeS:

Well, then, if it was built in the 1970s no wonder I don't know anything about it even if it is next door to where I lived. By 1970s I was out of there and on to see the world, taking my New York liberal politics to things like political campaigns in California and falling for the ultra beautiful wifes of US Senators and stuff. Golf and golf architecture was the farthest thing from my mind back then. Opposing the war and the bombing of Cambodian and insulting people like President Nixon, Governor Reagan and Senator George Murphy was my primary interest back then. We had a social revolution to foster back then. ;) I even roomed now and then with the original democratic "dirty trick" artist, Dick Tuck back then. What a ball we had. I wonder what happened to him. If he's not dead by now I'd be shocked.   ;)

Andy Silis

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 04:57:51 AM »
Sorry guys! The club I am playing is Glen Oaks C.C. in Old Westbury, N.Y. not Glen Cove Club. As I approach 52 I seem to be having more and more "senior moments". I'll start a seperate thread on Glen Oaks C.C. and as always, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Andy Silis

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 05:43:13 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Glen Oaks may be vestiges of one of Dev Emmet's old LI courses, perhaps Old Westbury G.C. which my mother once said was one of the most naturally beautiful golf courses she'd ever seen.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 09:21:17 AM »
The club is in Old Westbury across the road from Westbury Gardens...A 1970 design by Joe Finger with three nines...Tom Joyce was the pro here for many years...RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back