News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Granville Golf Club--A Round of Golf and History Lesson
« on: September 06, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »
I'm going to be visiting Columbus, OH weekend after next to play golf with some friends. My favorite course in the area is Granville GC so I'll stay over Sunday night at a B&B in Granville and play a round there on Monday morning. For those who don't know, Granville is a much-reworked Donald Ross course in a scenic little town 1/2-hour or so west of Columbus (sort of near Newark, OH).

I find it to be a totally charming small-town public course even taking into account the four somewhat less charming new holes that were built a few years ago to replace a portion of the course lost to a housing development.

Anyone in the area who'd like to join me is welcome. My tee time is 8:16AM.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:02:36 AM by Brent Hutto »

Brent Hutto

Re:Granville Golf Club--A Round of Golf and History Lesson
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »
I played golf yesterday with a GCA forum lurker named Dave Roewer who lives in Dublin, OH (near Columbus) but who grew up living in the little town of Granville and playing the Donald Ross designed Granville Golf Course back in the 1960's and 70's. He had seen my post and sent me E-mail offering to join me for my round there and show me some of the remnants of the course that he knew and love, much of which has been altered (generally not for the better by the standards of GCA regulars). The most obvious change was the construction of four brand new holes about twenty years ago after some of the course was sold to a housing development. However, the property given over to houses only contained one entire hole (the sixteenth, pretty much what we'd now refer to as the "signature" hole at Granville and the toughest Par 4 you'd ever want to play) but the new holes also serve to replace the old eighteenth (removed to make room for a driving range), tenth (clubhouse and parking lot) and the postage-stamp fifteenth (still there but replaced in normal play by a slightly longer one-shotter with a bigger green). The rest of this message is adapted from a long message I just sent to a mailing list with a lot of people who've played at Granville. I hope it gives a flavor of just how much fun I had yesterday...

As we played our round, Dave was able to point out old bunker outlines and even showed me the place now deep in the woods where the tee boxes for the old seventeenth (now eighteenth) hole used to be. Some greens have had their slopes much flattened and many were expanded from their original very small dimensions. In addition, Dave learned a couple of new pieces of information from our perusing of the Donald Ross drawings on the wall of the clubhouse grill. He had already shown me where the tenth hole was when he was playing there. It was a long uphill Par 3 with the tee down below what is now the lower parking lot and the green exactly where the practice green by the pro shop is now located. However, according to the original drawings that was to be a 280 yard Par 4 which actually played semi-blind over the crown of the hill with the tee box almost back to the road and the green up around the tee boxes for the current tenth hole (originally eleventh). The then-eleventh hole was a 406 yard Par 4 instead of a Par 5 with its tees right about where that slight diagonal ridge crosses 100 yards out from the
current tees.

We also "found" a tee box to the left of the (current) sixth hole back tees that could only have been used as a way-back teeing ground for (current) ninth hole. We're talking about an angle from the right of the ninth tee now in use, over the entire length of the pond with the tree down the right side of the hole directly between the tee and green. Of course that big tree on the bank of the pond by the back tees on #9 now wouldn't have been much of a tree if it were there at all. Right now it blocks the use of that back tee (if indeed it was intended for use on that hole at all).

Another feature that was new to Dave were a set of three small "eye candy" bunkers on the tiny postage stamp Par 3 up on the ridge overlooking the town of Granville and much of the course. It was the fifteenth hole but was in play  yesterday as a temporary replacement for the current fourteenth whose green is being recontoured. Dave told me the story of his brother's hole-in-one on that hole which happened when another kid "goosed" him during his swing, causing a bladed shot that hit the little speed ramp 20 yards short of the green, kicked onto the green and into the hole. In the original drawings, there were little bunkers in the face of that berm (in fact the berm was probably pushed up with a mule-powered scraper in order as part of constructing the bunkers) and that hole-in-one fluke would not have been possible in the early years of the course. There were also some actual greenside bunkers in play back in 1960 that are no longer extant.

While we're in that area, I'll mention the previous green. That's the short Par 4 reverse-camber dogleg right whose green is set into the side of the ridge atop which the postage stamp hole lies. He showed me the original outline of the green which was narrow but long front to back and SEVERELY!!! sloped. I'm not sure a ball would have stayed at the top of that green even in the 1940's when the greens would have stimped about 3 or 3.5 for normal play. And if it rolled back to the front of the green it would roll into a bunker from which you'd face a shot that might do the same again. And Dave mentioned that they used to once in a great while drive that green because the hillside was hard as a brick and seldom had any sort of lush grass on it. Like a superspeedway banking from which you could carom tee shots and hope they take a lucky bounce on or near the green.

One more minor cool thing and then I'll stop. Most people who've played at Granville know that the current second hole (one of the coolest holes on the course IMO) was originally the ninth, playing back to the clubhouse which was on the hill next to the road. What you might not think about is that made the current third hole (with the creek down the left side) the opening hole. Apparently it was a little nerve wracking hitting ones first shot of the day (remember, no such thing as driving ranges back then although Dave showed me the open grassy area where they hit shag balls) from a tee box just a few steps from the clubhouse porch with all that water staring at you. Fortunately, Dave was 10 years old when he first played there and as we know 10-year-olds haven't learned to be nervous on a golf course yet.

Anyway, we spent more time talking than playing. We hit a few good shots, each of us had a skanky hole or two (although a skanky hole for Dave is a pretty good hole by my standards) and basically it was a beautiful day and a real treat to be shown the course as it is and as it was by someone who has seen Granville Golf Course for more than half its history. BTW, the greens were in marvelous shape and the fairways were if anything too lush with very little roll on drives and no real sense of the role that the course's little humps, hollows and cambering had on shots back in the day. Still, for modern players it was in near perfect condition.

Postscript for Architecture Geeks:

It is my impression that some of the features on the Ross drawings being displayed in the clubhouse were possibly never built. For instance, that 280-yard version of the tenth hole (which looks to me like it would have been a pretty unique and super-fun hole akin to the fifteenth at Palmetto) is not present in any old photographs and Dave never heard it mentioned. Wasn't it normal for Ross to do drawings of his original design and then make changes in the field for budget or construction difficulty reasons? If so, I think the currently extant drawing are a long way from "as built".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:02:56 AM by Brent Hutto »

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »
Brent-Very informative post. I had the pleasure of meeting Brent for dinner on Sunday night and discussing various courses in Central Ohio that he has played. Unfortunately, my only non-negotiable day of work this week was Monday, so I could not partake in a round at Granville with Brent and Dave. As Brent noted, the lost holes at Granville contained some of the most interesting architecture on the course (particularly the old 16 and 18). I believe the new holes were designed by Jack Kidwell and Mike Hurdzan. Unfortunately, they look very much out of character with the rest of the course (the new 16 is a short par four which plays through a funnel of containment mounding for goodness sakes). However, the original holes that still exist make the effort to play Granville worthwhile. Brent, hope to see you again next year.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for driving over on Sunday night, which reminds me...

For anyone who finds himself in or around the charming little village of Granville, I highly recommend the Buxton Inn (regardless of whether you believe in ghosts). The staff is accomodating, the rooms are comfortable and I've found the restaurant to serve delicious dinners both times I've stayed there. Quite inexpensive too, although I guess prices are generally pretty reasonable twenty miles outside of Columbus, OH. If you stay in the grey stone house down the side street from the main buildings there's a friendly gray cat who'll sit with you on the porch.

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:04:59 PM »
I have visited Granville in the past.  What a treat!

It's great when a club hasn't destroyed their Ross course - usually because the club lacked the funds to do so!

Anyways, this is a real treat and I would encourage all Ross fans to see Granville.

;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 09:49:21 PM »
Well, destroyed is a matter of degree. There are some who feel the loss of four entire holes and the flattening of a number of severely-sloped greens goes beyond just a lamentable loss of those particulars. I guess we each have our own point at which we think it crosses the line.

For my part, Granville has a wonderful feel to it that I associate with the few better preserved Ross courses I've played. But when you play it with someone who has known the course all his life, you can feel the sense of loss and outrage over what weren't necessarily required changes. For the course to be in a state where remnants of its original form are still visible makes the experience even more painful, I would think.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 10:19:38 PM »
Brent

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But I did still see some Ross there - and that was what impressed me.  As you said, deep-down, underneath that foliage, there is still some of what Donald left ....
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 06:26:25 AM »
Granville is one of many really good Ross courses in Ohio--Canton Brookside, Inverness, Scioto, Westbrook, Springfield, Congress Lake, Shaker Hts, Acacia, Lancaster, Manakiki, Hyde Park, etc. Ross did some of his best work in Ohio.

The loss of the four holes at Granville is very sad, especially to those of us who loved the original 18. I've only been back to the course once since the new holes were installed--I played the course last year for the first time in decade of more.

Paul's comment about the trees is a little strange. There are less than a handful of holes where the trees are problem, and even then its not that bad. If that was his main impression of the course, either he had trouble focusing on the architecture that day or he did not play very well.

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 07:08:09 AM »
Tom

Brent said:

> Dave was able to point out old bunker outlines and even showed me the place now deep in the woods where the tee boxes for the old seventeenth (now eighteenth) hole used to be

> Of course that big tree on the bank of the pond by the back tees on #9 now wouldn't have been much of a tree if it were there at all. Right now it blocks the use of that back tee

So those are his words, not mine.  

Maybe some do, but I never let my score dictate my thoughts on architecture.

:)

That being said, there is a lot to learn at Granville.  I did love the mounds that have been left there undisturbed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 07:25:15 AM by Paul Richards »

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 09:16:13 AM »
Paul
Were you aware there were abandoned tees on the 18th or 9th?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 09:53:50 AM »
The ninth (old seventh?) hole, assuming that disused tee box was really the back tee as it appears, would have been a hell of a Par 4. It's not particularly wide from the current tees but for a downhill hole playing well under 400 yards it is appropriate and you can hit the fairway. That extra tee box is back a good 40-something yards and also very slightly changes the angle to take away a righty hooker's ability to err with a little too much right-to-left action without ending up in the left fairway bunker or on the adjacent hole. From that distance and angle it would feel pretty tight and bailing out to the right [trees and rough today, would have been rough and maybe saplings 50 years ago] a common occurance. Modern good players could actually hit drivers or three-woods over the tree I mentioned which "blocks" play from those back tees. I couldn't do it and I doubt very many strong players hit it that high back in the 30's and 40's but the big hitters get the ball up mighty fast nowadays.

The eighteenth (old seventeenth) hole has a totally different look and angle off the tee today. Once Dave showed me where the tees were in the 60's it was totally obvious that the hole was laid out for that angle. Honestly, there was something "not quite right" about the view of the fairway bunkers from the tees when I played there the first few times although the spectacular view of the village of Granville and distant ridgelines is so stunning that the funny angle of the fairway doesn't enter your conscious mind.

There's even a row of trees (planted a long time ago but certainly after the course was built) separating 17-cum-18 fairway from the adjacent hole (new tenth, old eleventh) that the new tees sort of point you toward but from the no longer extant tee boxes those trees are dead parallel to the line of ball flight.

BTW, the green on this hole is a rare case of a lower shelf on the back (actually back-left) of the green with the front of the green being the higher shelf. According to Dave that had been left unchanged and he considers it one of the most unique greens on the course. I probably played the hole Monday just the way it was played in the early days. It's not a very long Par 4 considering the downhill tee shot but I still had exactly 150 yards from the center of the fairway to a front hole location. I choked down on a 4-iron which came in low, landed in the front fringe just left of the flag and then trickled ever so slowly down onto that back left lower shelf leaving me a putt back up the tier, ended up with a four foot par putt (which I missed). Dave played it the modern way leaving a wedge approach that he was able to stick eight feet from the cup. I love greens that fall away from the approach shot in some way but they only work as intended for modern players on holes over 420 or so yards because a short iron can be landed so softly that the backward slope doesn't matter.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 04:24:05 PM »
I played Granville three or four times in the early 90s.   I was in the Columbus area to attend the Memorial Tournament, and I found it by looking up Ross courses that were close by.

I seem to recall the 3rd as presenting a how much do you want to bite off tee shot across a stream or ravine.  In fact there was a lot of quality golf in the early part of the course.  More than anything else though I remember shooting one of the wildest rounds of my life.  I managed to make four birdies including a blind pitch from forty yards on number 8, and then I ended the round by eagling the 18th from behind a fairway bunker on the left.  And with all those heroices I turned in a snappy 80.  

I have intended to get back over there but haven't managed it.  I only wish I could have seen it before the new holes were created.  It's a treasure for a town the size of Granville to have such a quality public course.  

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »
Your recollection of the third hole is correct. The stream crosses in front of the back tee box (maybe 40, 50, 60 yards depending on the line) and then continues down the left side of the hole at an oblique angle to the ball flight. Back when it was the opening hole it would have been an intimidating opener for a right-handed hooker (or a lefty slicer like myself) but for most weaker players really no big deal. You can just aim to the right of the hazard and if you hit a (righty) slice it will just find its way to the right rough. The one fly in that ointment is that way, way right there's more water over toward the parking lot IIRC.

That eighth green is a beauty. I especially like those almost cross-hazard fairway bunkers 60-75 yards short of the elevated front of the green. For a hole that length bunkering of that sort provides an interesting hazard for the weaker player in contrast to the most modern designs that orient fairway hazards to challenge the medium-long hitter (while typically being ignorable by the strongest players). I noticed similar "fun for shorty" bunkering on some holes at Holston Hills.

Regarding your story about the eighteenth, well that's definitely anti-strategy. You hit the ball in to the wrong side of the fairway and then holed out from a bad angle for eagle. How dare you show such contempt for the gods of angles and strategy.  ;)

Jason Thurman

Re: Granville Golf Club--A Round of Golf and History Lesson
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:25 PM »
I played Granville today and wanted to bump this topic.

It's 14 really stunning holes for an unheralded public course. While I had heard good things here, I was surprised at how visually sharp many of the features were and how tricky the greens were as well.

It's obviously not one of Ross' elite works, and holes 14-17 are borderline awful. But holes like 3 and 8 are good enough that they would fit in just fine on any Ross design. The front nine as a whole is really excellent.

I was very pleasantly surprised.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brian Finn

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
Jason,
I am glad to see you made it out to Granville.  It was by far the most pleasant surprise i encountered when I moved to the area.  It has a few outstanding holes, and the rest is just incredibly fun.  Sure, the new holes suck, which is a shame, but as you say, the rest is quite sharp.  I am amazed how few Columbus locals (gca types mostly excluded) have either never played it or never heard of it.  I have brought many folks out there and it is universally well received. A very playable, walkable, and affordable course where you can get around in under 4 hours.  Exactly what golf should be.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
Here's an aerial of Granville in 1960 with all of the original holes. ;D I used the hole sketches from the Donald Ross Web Library as a basis for the hole numbers.....

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Sorry I missed you Brent and Bill, I have been off the course for awhile with elbow tendon tears that just wont heal. I love the finishing hole at Granville, one of my favorite holes in Ohio. I will post some Granville pics this evening!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
As a Columbus native, just wanted to weigh in and agree with the sentiments already expressed -- Granville is a GREAT course.  Anyone passing through or visiting or living there should definitely play. 

Another lesser known gem in Columbus is Hickory Hills -- it's private, but you should be able to get on.  That's another great course.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »
I played on the golf team at Denison and had the pleasure of calling Granville my home course for four years.  It's a fairly demanding walk on a hot summer day (particularly the back nine), but well with the effort.  I actually think the physical conditioning my teammates developed from playing the course regularly gave us a slight advantage against the competition during tournaments.  I recall some of the old-timers telling us what a demanding hole was the original 16th, playing along the ridge line, and regret that I never had a chance to see it.  The greens, while not heavily contoured, tend to be tilted, which adds a lot to course management tactics.  I try to make it back every couple years to play.  What a course!
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
Great stuff on Granville Golf Club.  I played the course about 11 to 12 years ago, wow, I can not believe it was that long ago.  Absolutely loved the course and the 14 Ross holes.  I was shocked to find out that only one hole was really lost to housing and the original 10th, 18th and 15th were abandoned if you will.

Thanks,
Chris

Brian Finn

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
I've lived in Columbus for nearly 4 years now, and have enjoyed my rounds at Granville.  I really love the course.  Anyone ever interested in meeting up for a game there, please let me know.  

The last couple of times I have been out there, I have spoken to one of the guys about the original holes, and he showed me where you could see old #18.  So, can those of you more familiar with the course please help me with the current / old routing and holes...I think I have most of these correct...

Current Hole / Old Hole

1 / 8          10 / 11
2 / 9          11 / 12
3 / 1          12 / 13
4 / 2          13 / 14
5 / 3          14 - New Par 3 (in corridor from old #16)
6 / 4          15 - New Par 4
7 / 5          16 - New Par 4
8 / 6          17 - New Par 3
9 / 7          18 / 17

Old #15 still there (behind current #13 green), but not used regularly
Current driving range = old 18+
Old #10 green near current practice putting green...tee was in current parking lot

Edits - based on input from Bill Steele in post #21
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:26:11 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Billsteele

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Brian-You are pretty close. I will have to go back in my memory banks to make sure. The only thing that remains of the old 16th is the corridor where the new par three (#14) is located. The hole ran along the ridge line and the green was located near the 17th tee (now #18). It was a hefty par four in its day. The old #10 is not part of the driving range. I can't remember with absolute certainty but the current practice green is pretty close to where the 10th green was located. The old 15th green is still there and every once in a while is brought back into play (a couple of years ago there were some maintenance/conditioning issues on the new 14 and they just had you play the old 15th instead ...the tee is directly behind the 13th green). The old 18th was also a very good hole. I believe there was a creek that ran across it at one time. The old clubhouse is the log cabin located behind the second green (I believe it houses an insurance agency now). The 10th tee was located near where the parking lot is currently.

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  That is helpful. 

Perhaps we can get a gca group out to play Granville together next year.  I think it would be a good spot for a meetup like the one we had in August at Clovernook & Hyde Park. 

Bill Crane

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
My son is a junior at Denison Univ, so I am around periodically in Granville, and have had been able to grab a few rounds at Granville GC.  My son and I, and a father and son from the squash team managed to grab a nine before the rain Friday of parent’s weekend, the same weekend as the Presidents Cup.   My cousin who lives near Muirfield Village managed to rustle up some Cup tickets for Saturday which turned out to be fun even though a little wet, too.

Granville Golf club is really charming, and the community and Denison U are fortunate to have it so near the downtown.  The greens are really fascinating for a local course, and if sped them up would really be a challenge.   I think if you got them to 10.5 they would be almost unputtable in places, especially greens like the Par 3 seventh.  Looking back, I think a lot of the bunkers are no longer in play and should be relocated.  An example would the 9th going back up the smaller hill.  Really a nicely designed hole, but even an easy 3 wood blows right by the bunkers.  As I recall there are too many evergreen trees on the back, although they help to block the view of the houses.

By the way, it was announced that Denison University bought the Granville Inn, which was built along with golf course by the John Sutphin Jones family who owned the estate “Bryn Du” that the course is located on. The Inn website describes Donald Ross as a frequent guest at Bryn Du during the construction of the course, which would indicate it was not a plans only course.

We ended up eating at both the Buxton and the Granville Inn and while more expensive; I thought the food at the Inn was superior.  Having never actually stayed in either Inn I can’t comment on lodging.

It was nice to see the Denison Golf team practicing at Granville.  Our home club – Springdale (1895) in Princeton, NJ, a Flynn re-design in the 20s, is Princeton University’s home course.   I am just so used to seeing good young golfers slinging their team bags around the course that it seems normal.
Will drop you guys a PM next time I am looking for a game.  While I have played Muirfield Village, I really want to take advantage of a friends offer for a round at The Golf Club, which must only be about 20 minutes away.

Wm Flynnfan

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
I stayed a couple nights at the Buxton about a decade ago. Nothing wrong with it but kind of quirky and not super upscale. The dinner Bill Steele and I had there one evening was quite good as I recall. I do love me some "walk to the golf course" so that was nice and Granville is a charming little town, all told. Love the golf course though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back