News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

Pinehurst - The Decision
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
Assuming you are playing multiple rounds at No. 2 & Dormie, and you have time for ONLY one more round. What do you do and why?

Play...
Tobacco Road?
Pine Needles?
Forest Creek (North or South)?
CC of North Carolina?

Sit and drink at the Pine Crest Inn?

or catch and early flight home?

Thank you.

Cory Lewis

Re: Pinehurst - The Decision
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
Tobacco Road, hands down.  One of the most unique experiences in golf.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
If you haven't played Tobacco Road, you ought to. 

I usually drink at the Pine Crest at night.  Sometimes the MILFs show up at the piano bar. 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
Wyatt

If you have an invite to one of the privates I would almost always go with that.  You just can't beat the human connection of the game.  Otherwise, I would opt for whoever offers a better deal between PN and TR - usually that would be TR.  To get a decent deal sign up on their website and hope an offer comes thru before you arrive.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
Wyatt,

A timely topic for me as I'm heading to Pinehurst the end of next month with what seems like a similar itinerary.

Day 1: Golf in Charlotte - hoping for one of the Ross courses in the area, though don't know if any will have me.
Day 2: 36 at Dormie
Day 3: Pinehurst 8, Pinehurst 1
Day 4:
Day 5: Pinehurst 2 + fly home

Based on the research I've done (and I am very open to suggestions and I have played TR twice so am looking for something new), my first choice would be to drive to Old Town Club if it would have me.  Next choice would be CC of Sedgefield.  After that a toss-up between CCNC and FC.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »

I usually drink at the Pine Crest at night.  Sometimes the MILFs show up at the piano bar. 

MILF's in the Carolinas, Cougars on the left coast.

Do they actually PLAY the piano, or just hope to get gawked at?

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Wyatt

If you have an invite to one of the privates I would almost always go with that.  You just can't beat the human connection of the game.  Otherwise, I would opt for whoever offers a better deal between PN and TR - usually that would be TR.  To get a decent deal sign up on their website and hope an offer comes thru before you arrive.

Ciao

Thanks Sean,

If I go private, I'm leaning Forest Creek over CC of NC. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:51:01 PM »
Wyatt,

A timely topic for me as I'm heading to Pinehurst the end of next month with what seems like a similar itinerary.

Day 1: Golf in Charlotte - hoping for one of the Ross courses in the area, though don't know if any will have me.
Day 2: 36 at Dormie
Day 3: Pinehurst 8, Pinehurst 1
Day 4:
Day 5: Pinehurst 2 + fly home

Based on the research I've done (and I am very open to suggestions and I have played TR twice so am looking for something new), my first choice would be to drive to Old Town Club if it would have me.  Next choice would be CC of Sedgefield.  After that a toss-up between CCNC and FC.

Mark,

I'm a Maxwell fiend, so OTC would be the obvious choice. However, I'm married to a 30 mile radius with Pinehurst as the epicenter. The story is too long and boring to get into. The weather should be great, and your current itinerary is sparkling. Have a wonderful time.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
Just came back from Pinehurst yesterday.

Forest Creek would likely be a delightful time.  I played the North course and it was in very good condition and the architecture quite enjoyable.  The amenities at the club are fabulous.  You can't go wrong if you have access.

Pine Needles is a course that I think absolutely warrants a visit while in the area.  It is well presented and the restoration by Fought generally well done.  Lots of fun holes and a walkable routing.  Are you playing by yourself?  The reason that I ask is that juniors play for free.  Important to know if playing with a son or daughter.

Tobacco Road is unique.  Very few golf experiences create the feeling of seeing something truly different.  Tobacco Road is DIFFERENT...until you have been there, it is hard to understand what that means.  I am glad to have seen it once and I certainly have to give it credit for being original.  Having said that, I'd enjoy any of your other choices on a repeat visit.  

I definitely think any of these courses are worth seeing more than heading home early...you've already gotten there, take the time to check it out.

Bart

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
I'm in the process of planning a trip there next June.

We're playing TR, #2, Dormie, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and have a couple of days free to play the courses at the resort (for free) or somewhere else. I would love to hear the Treehouse's opinion on what to do with those days. As it stands right now, we'll probably play #2 twice, 4 and 8 multiple times, and the others above just once.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »
Just came back from Pinehurst yesterday.

Forest Creek would likely be a delightful time.  I played the North course and it was in very good condition and the architecture quite enjoyable.  The amenities at the club are fabulous.  You can't go wrong if you have access.

Pine Needles is a course that I think absolutely warrants a visit while in the area.  It is well presented and the restoration by Fought generally well done.  Lots of fun holes and a walkable routing.  Are you playing by yourself?  The reason that I ask is that juniors play for free.  Important to know if playing with a son or daughter.

Tobacco Road is unique.  Very few golf experiences create the feeling of seeing something truly different.  Tobacco Road is DIFFERENT...until you have been there, it is hard to understand what that means.  I am glad to have seen it once and I certainly have to give it credit for being original.  Having said that, I'd enjoy any of your other choices on a repeat visit.  

I definitely think any of these courses are worth seeing more than heading home early...you've already gotten there, take the time to check it out.

Bart

Thank you Bart. I appreciate the detail, and I will be flying solo for the one round.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »

MILF's in the Carolinas, Cougars on the left coast.

Do they actually PLAY the piano, or just hope to get gawked at?

There is a piano player, it's a piano bar, so they sing.  The more you drink, the better they sound.  And look.   ;)

Steve Kline

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
Alex - considering the rounds are free I would play #4 and #8 a few times.

Pine Needles is my second favorite course in Pinehurst so I always want to go there. But, I haven't played any of the true privates (Forest Creek, CCNC, and any others).

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
#4, Midpines, or Pine Needles would be my choices.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »
Wyatt,

Play that extra round wherever your heart and opportunity leads you. Then retire back to the Crest to freshen up, belly up for a second go at the chop special, AND hang for that piano playing. You're in God's gift to Southern golf and hospitality! Every time I'm there that town of Pinehurst grows on me a little bit more. Very special!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »
Wyatt,

Play that extra round wherever your heart and opportunity leads you. Then retire back to the Crest to freshen up, belly up for a second go at the chop special, AND hang for that piano playing. You're in God's gift to Southern golf and hospitality! Every time I'm there that town of Pinehurst grows on me a little bit more. Very special!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

what he said...tis a great town
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
Wyatt,

I have always respected your opinion. Please play Pine Needles and tell me what I missed. I love you too much for you to pay so only heed my plea if comped.  Thank you.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
John,

I'll start paying for golf when you start picking up dinner checks.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »
Thanks Mac and Kris, I'm looking forward to it.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
Wyatt,

The North Course at Forest Creek is really good and underrated around these parts. Sure Tobacco Road is unique, but as an overall golf course I would play FC-N 9-1 over 10 rounds. I would also play Pine Needles over the Road. I wasn't too impressed with CCNC.

Whatever you do though don't catch that early flight home :)
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
You can't go wrong with either Pine Needles or Forest Creek North IMO.  Just depends on what you're looking for.  Personally I'd hit Pine Needles.  If you haven't played a Strantz course you might want to give TR a go, if you have you already know the answer for yourself as they tend to be a love/hate affair. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt MacIver

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
I'll throw in my obligatory gushing for Mid-Pines, even over Pine Needles, if you want a throw-back course to a simpler time I think MP can't be beat.  I love the idea of playing MP and TR on the same day - what a contrast!

David Cronheim

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
I spent a lot of time in the Raleigh-Durham area over the last few years so I've had a chance to play most of the courses in that region. I'd highly recommend Tobacco Road. It's just so different and fun. As was mentioned earlier, you really have to see it to believe it. Would I want to play it everyday? Probably not, but I can promise you I'd never visit the Pinehurst area without a stop there. It's also on the way into town if you're coming from RDU airport which is convenient.

I'd agree with comments about Mid Pines over Pine Needles. I think it's a more playable, fun course. Pine Needles just didn't get me all that excited.

If you have any extra time to spare, you might also consider a round at Duke's Washington Duke golf course in Durham, just off campus. It's a fantastic track and one I always enjoyed playing when I'd visit my girlfriend in Duke. Also, if you go, be sure to stop at the Q-shack in Durham for the world's best bbq.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
I spent a lot of time in the Raleigh-Durham area over the last few years so I've had a chance to play most of the courses in that region. I'd highly recommend Tobacco Road. It's just so different and fun. As was mentioned earlier, you really have to see it to believe it. Would I want to play it everyday? Probably not, but I can promise you I'd never visit the Pinehurst area without a stop there. It's also on the way into town if you're coming from RDU airport which is convenient.

I'd agree with comments about Mid Pines over Pine Needles. I think it's a more playable, fun course. Pine Needles just didn't get me all that excited.

If you have any extra time to spare, you might also consider a round at Duke's Washington Duke golf course in Durham, just off campus. It's a fantastic track and one I always enjoyed playing when I'd visit my girlfriend in Duke. Also, if you go, be sure to stop at the Q-shack in Durham for the world's best bbq.

If you go to Durham for BBQ, its Bullocks without a doubt.  As a Duke alum, it is heresy to eat anywhere else.

If you want great southern food, i recommend crooks corner in chapel hill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back