News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Joe Ogilvie sounds like a GCAer
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:54:53 PM »
Joe Ogilvie sure looks like he reads this site.  Here is a quote from Lorne Rubenstein's article in today's Globe and Mail:
"I'm no shrinking violet in the boardroom," he said. "I think we can have an influence on who builds our courses. Tom Doak is talking to the tour about building a course in Milwaukee, and I'd like to see guys like David McKay(SIC) Kidd [who designed the highly acclaimed first course at Bandon Dunes in Bend, Ore.] and [Bill] Coore and [Ben] Crenshaw design courses we play. The days of [Tom] Fazio and [Pete] Dye are ending.

"You hear from players every day that they love playing courses like this," Ogilvie continued. "But now the tour is starting to listen."

Joe seems to like Shaughnessy, the site of this year's Canadian Open.

John_Conley

Re:Joe Ogilvie sounds like a GCAer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »
Good for Joe.

75% of the guys on Tour couldn't name two courses by Engh, Kidd, Doak, Brauer, etc....

Palmer, Nicklaus, Fazio, Hills, Rees, etc...  That's who got all the work for any modern stuff they'd see.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »
and inquiring minds would like to know about what Tom D might be up to in Milwaukee!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:04:13 PM »
Bravo to Joe for his unusual level of GCA awareness. Keep in mind that not even Fazio had a tour event played on one of his courses regularly until Honda moved to Mirasol recenty. So his comment really goes beyond venue selection.

Actually, sometimes we forget the high quality courses they do get to see. The only Rees Jones courses they play are screwed up classics for the US Open. They play one Fazio. A lot of Pete Dye (but I think that is a good thing).

They do get to play C&C/Raynor/Weiskopf-Morrish/Pebble-Spyglass/Riv/Augusta/(many seem to like Quail Hollow)/Colonial/Muirifield Village is considered Jacks best/Travis' fine Westchester/A solid Cog Hill/...this is the meat of the batting order and its really pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 02:17:03 PM by Alex_Wyatt »

Billsteele

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:34:06 PM »
His penchant for classic design is not surprising. Joe grew up playing Lancaster (Ohio) Country Club. The original nine holes were designed by Donald Ross. The second nine was a product of the quintessential Central Ohio architect, Jack Kidwell. Ogilvie comes across as a very enlightened, sensible person. I guess that's what a Duke education does for you.

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 03:00:08 PM »
And he plays FAST!   ;D

erichunter

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:24:26 PM »
He also plays at Bobby Weed's Spanish Oaks in Austin.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
Ogilvie comes across as a very enlightened, sensible person. I guess that's what a Duke education does for you.

Ugh...

Go Heels. ;)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Hughes

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
Ogilvie comes across as a very enlightened, sensible person. I guess that's what a Duke education does for you.

Ugh...

Go Heels.

Ugh...

Go Terps  ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »

Ugh...

Go Heels.

Ugh...

Go Terps  ;)

I second that.  Go Terps!

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:24:09 PM »
When I was at Shinney last year for the Open during a practice round, w/ my boss he says, I want to try and see Joe Ogilve. I'm like, why? So he tells me he played in a pro-am w/ him on the Nike tour 4-5 years prior tells me what a great guy he was. They even exchanged emails a bit after that before Joe got busy w/ the tour.

Shortly after we get there, Joe comes up 18. AFter he holes out hits a few extra chips & then comes off and signa few autographs. We wave him over and he remebers my boss. Spends the next 10 min w/ us catching up and just chatting liek an old friend. What a great guy.

Definetly could see him being a GCA kind of guy.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:25:03 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 08:33:51 PM »
If being "a GCAer" or a "GCA kind of guy" means celebrating the imagined demise of Pete Dye, then count me out.

Are Sawgrass and Harbor Town being crossed off the list?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:36:21 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 09:10:07 PM »
So I assume Joe Ogilivie and the tour are willing to take less money from smaller purses because these courses are going to be in smaller markets with smaller crowds and not as many corporate tents?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 10:03:19 PM »
So I assume Joe Ogilivie and the tour are willing to take less money from smaller purses because these courses are going to be in smaller markets with smaller crowds and not as many corporate tents?
What do you mean smaller markets.  Couldn't the Phoenix Open be held at Talking Stick?  The tournament in question this week is the Canadian Open which is being held at an older course rather than Glen Abbey.  There are many great older courses around Canada that could host the Canadian Open.

In the last couple of decades the tour has moved away from traditional golf courses to TPC-like venues.  There are still lots of traditional courses that have the space for large galleries and corporate tents.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 10:29:42 PM »

Ugh...

Go Heels.

Ugh...

Go Terps  ;)

I second that.  Go Terps!

Ugh ....

Go Tigers!

John_Conley

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:59 AM »

Makes  me hum a Beach Boys song .....

Wouldn't it be nice... or something else?

Kokomo?  Just kiddin'.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 08:04:16 AM »

Joe had me right up to the Pete Dye remark.   ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back