News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:Need Scottish Highlands Info ...
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 06:05:32 PM »

P.S. Rich G -- enjoyed the book -- only quick comment -- I wish there were color shots taken of the course to add to the superlative narrative / commentary find inside.

Thanks, Matt

The hole diagrams of Dornoch in my book are in fact high resolution aerial color photographs (digitally enhanced).

Rich

PS--vis a vis other courses to play in the Highlands, it really does depend on what the purpose of the trip is and what your preferences are vis a vis multiple play at a small number of venues, or sampling as many courses as you can.  There are well over 20 courses in the Highlands which are very much worth playing.  None are "must" plays, as I said above, but all can be satisfying, for different reasons.

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

You have a way with words, Sean.

I'll tell ya what, all this talk is making me want to get on a plane NOW.  

Will Hubbard

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
Matt,

I know I am a llama, but have been to Dornoch 3 times 1992, 1999 and 2004 and played multiple rounds. It is my favorite course I have ever played.  Granted I do not have the wealth of experience that others have, but I am still young and hope to "get out more."  Huck and Goodale obviously know their stuff listen to them.  

One of the greatest things about Dornoch that Tom H left out is its influence on Donald Ross that you see all around you there.  Walking around the place its like walking in the incubator for Ross's mind.  Without Ross, golf in America would be soooo much poorer.  For that reason alone Dornoch should be revered.  

BTW (don't know your HCP) but you must play Dornoch from the metal tees at least once, even if you have to sneak to do so.  Suggest doing so in a late afternoon round, in the breeze.

If you are already getting to play Dornoch 2-3 times, why not go to Cruden Bay. Its a hike.  So what, you've already flown thousands of miles, give it a whirl.  It is a lot of laughs.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 06:47:53 PM »
Hubbs (saw Gracely call you that - that is a helluva nickname), you've been to Dornoch way more than I have so methinks we ought to listen to you more than me here.  But I appreciate the sentiment that I know my stuff - that would have to be the minority view in here.   ;D

Re Donald Ross, I mean no offense here but as a California boy that was meaningless to me, both as the 25 year old dork and the 37 year old who thought he knew a few things.  See, with no Ross courses around on which to make the comparison, playing the course he grew up on would be like me going to Stradivarius' home.  I don't play the violin.

;D

That being said, for Rossaphiles I can imagine that does add to the joy there considerably.

TH

ps - I have to laugh at your suggestion that Matt play the medal tees and asking what his handicap is... our NJ friend there has made very clear he's a very strong golfer and the longer the course the better for him.  Hey, nothing against that.  But I'd expect him to stick to the up tees like I expect myself not to have dessert tonight.

;D

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
I have a good story about the back tees at Dornoch.  I was up there in 98 or 99 I think.  There were a load of us from Droitwich, almost all single figures.  Somehow we got to drinking with some Dornoch boys and were challenged to a match by them.  That was fine by us.  Mighty fine at guest fees!  

The Dornoch lads organized that we should go off the back markers.  We sent up one or our best players, a 3 or so capper first.  Nev goes through the routine on the practice swing then steps up to fire away.  He hits a bottom of the face hosel jobbie right into the tee marker.  The ball bounces back behind the tee as Nev is hitting the turf to avoid a penalty!  I am not even sure if the ball was in bounds.  Needless to say, the starter was  peering at our lot in a most skeptical manner.  

All was well though.  We scrounged a half with the Door Knockers.  Good people up there.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Jason McNamara

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 02:00:08 AM »
P.S. How long is the train ride from the immediate London area to the Highlands area in and around Inverness?

Matt,

London-Euston to Inverness is ~11 hours.  You'll find info on overnight trains at http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

Jason

David Sneddon

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »
I will be visiting the famed Scottish Highlands for the first time sometime in September and wanted to find out from those who REALLY know the answers to the following ...

2). How far by car is Cruden Bay from Dornoch -- time wise and approximate mileage would be appreciated.

P.S. How long is the train ride from the immediate London area to the Highlands area in and around Inverness?

We left Dornoch around 7am arrived Cruden Bay approx 11am.   It is nearly all two lane, with many roundabouts, traffic lights and small towns to pass through.

Train from  London to Edinburgh is around 4 hours - another 3 1/2 hours Edinburgh to Inverness.  You can book a variety of ways - overnight sleeper or coach - would depend on your schedule.  I believe there is a connecting train from Inverness to Tain, where you could take a taxi to Dornoch or    rent a car in Inverness.

If you rent the car in Inverness you are going to be assessed drop off charges when you return it to any other location - you might wish to rent your car in Edinburgh and drive up to Dornoch - about 5 hours - and return the car to Edinburgh.  That way you might squeeze in Boat of Garten on the way up since you are passing by.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Brent Hutto

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 09:02:03 AM »
David,

If I'm not mistaken, Arnold Clarke charges only a 15-quid dropoff fee if you rent a car at, say, the Inverness airport and drop it off at the Edinburgh or Glasgow airports. If that is still the case, it would be a small price to pay if it makes one day's itenerary work out better.

David Sneddon

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 09:12:29 AM »
David,

If I'm not mistaken, Arnold Clarke charges only a 15-quid dropoff fee if you rent a car at, say, the Inverness airport and drop it off at the Edinburgh or Glasgow airports. If that is still the case, it would be a small price to pay if it makes one day's itenerary work out better.

I'll bow to your more up-to-date info, Brent.  IIRC when I rented in Glasgow and dropped off at Heathrow, it was something like 40pounds, but that was quite a few years ago.

The nice thing, is that Matt has several options depending on his schedule and pocketbook.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 06:06:40 PM »
The nice thing, is that Matt has several options depending on his schedule and pocketbook.

Pocketbook shouldn't be a problem... Matt's trip is surely being funded by one of the MAJOR publications for which he writes IMPORTANT articles. A scribe of Matt's stature should not be asked to pay for the expansion of his personal course knowledge. It would be like asking Roger Ebert to pay to watch a movie. With a massive readship that devotedly follows his travels, any course that gets the thumbs up from "Mr. 1000 Course Database" can surely expect an immediate jump in business, rankings, and prestige. How can one put a price on that?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 07:57:38 PM »
So if Matt gives Royal Dornoch a red-hot recommendation, Continental might have to add a flight from New Jersey direct to Inverness next year. That would be cool...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back