News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Ireland Trip
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:29:50 PM »
I am thinking about taking a trip to Ireland next year.  If it happens I will only be there for a week, so I want to figure out the best use of my time based upon where I want to go and play.  I have already done the SW of Ireland, so this trip will concentrate on Dublin and Northern Ireland.  The plan would be a Saturday to Saturday trip in the beginning of July.  Flying in and out of Dublin, would I be better of fdriving to Northern Ireland as soon as we get in for a couple of days to play County Down and Portrush, then back to Dublin for the rest?  How far of a drive is each from Dublin (I will be coming from Italy, so the jetlag won't be as much of an issue if we have to drive a fair distance when we get there). Any way to get a ferry from Northern Ireland to play Machrinanish for a day?

I know the must plays in theDublin area(Portmarnock, European Club), and The Island looks interesting. What else?  My wife will be with me so Golf every day may not happen, but I at least want to play those 4...Any help or ideas would be appreciated, as the week time frame makes it somewhat limiting....

Sean Walsh

Re:Ireland Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »
Sean,

To my mind the seven days of the trip would go something like this:

Sat.  Arrive - Probably no golf as I think most Irish courses are restricted to member play on Saturdays.  (Check with Jack Marr re this.  I'm sure he'll post if he sees this thread.

Sun  Portmarnock, Possibly The Island in the afternoon. Maybe you could stay at Coutny Louth (Baltray) for the night.

Mon.  County Louth(Baltray)  Drive on to Belfast or maybe even Derry.  

Tues.  Explore Derry If you want golf perhaps Ballyliffin

Wednesday Royal Portrush. keep Portstewart and Castlerock in mind for an Afternoon round (I haven't played either)

Thursday.  Drive thru the Glens of Antrim.  Stop in Belfast for lunch and perhaps a tour. Then drive on to Newcastle.

Friday  Royal County Down.  

Sat in a perfect world you'd have another go at Portmarnock then fly out.

I would not consider The European Club an option for your trip as geographically it doesn't fit(60k's Sth of Dublin).  Also outside of Castlerock and Portstewart it is not quite on the same level as the others I have included.

Enjoy
Sean W

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:25:21 AM »
I figured I better post to make it a triple bill.  First off, I would skip Dublin and try to fly to Belfast or Derry.  This would save some windshield time, the area up there is nicer than Dublin and the Antrim Coast might keep you in your wife's good books.  However, if Dublin is the your preference.....

If you are coming from Italy (which I must say makes me question your sanity), flying and playing the same day should not be a problem.  However, playing on a weekend could be troublesome.  I would avoid this and try to land on Sunday (if golf is not on the cards that day) or Monday.  

I would head straight for Baltray (~1.5 hours from airport) for a game.  If you can stay in the Dormy House do it.  Nothing much else is happening around there so there is nothing to miss.  

Next day up to Co. Down (~2 hours from Baltray).  Try to stay in The Slieve Donnard.  A decent hotel which you can walk to the course from.  They sometimes put on reasonable rates.  Newcastle is nothing special, so nothing to miss.  

Next day up to Portrush (~2.5 hours from Newcastle).  Afternoon game perhaps after a visit to Dunluce Castle or The Causeway.  The Bushmills is a decent place to stay.  

Now you have a decide what you would rather do.  Stay up near Portrush or head back down to play Co. Down again.  Either way, I would play one of these two again.  If it was me, I would probably head back to Co. Down for a second game.  This gets you in easy driving range of Dublin.  

Next day head down to The Island for a game.

On the weekend I would hang in Malahide. It is easy to get into Dublin from there and the town has its own life for the evening if Dublin is too much of a hassle.  Island View Hotel is a decent place to hole up.  If you feel that a weekend game is necessary, The European Club and Portmarnock Links allow weekend play.  Alternatively, Portmarnock is a possibility, but don't count on it.

I think it is possible to get a ferry over to either Islay or the Mull, but this would seriously eat into your time.  Now if you flew into Belfast....

Ciao

Sean

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Andy Doyle

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 11:27:07 AM »
I love reading threads about golf in Irleand, but somehow I don't feel qualified to contribute here.

Andy "Not Sean" Doyle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back