News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Cullum

Re:Best Retirement Areas With Quality GCA
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2005, 11:02:37 AM »
I lived in Savannah from birth to about age 44. With 4 years in Athens and 3 in Macon sprinkled in, so I feel eminently qualified to comment on the Georgia and Coastal Carolina spectrum.

First, its too damn cold from about Thanksgiving to March. Oh, there will be a few 65 degree days in January, but every body and his brother will be playing on those days. Most of your golf on the Ga Carolina coast in December, January and February will be played in 45 to 60 degree weather. If its not raining. And that 60 degree part is from 2:30 pm to 4:15 pm.

Now in the July, August, and til about Sept. 10 you'll get temperatures between 90 to 103, with about 80% humidity. Great conditions for thick bermuda rough and grainy greens. This is also great conditions for all sorts of flying, biting things.

Athens and Eatonton GA are even colder in the winter, and Eatonton, about 40 miles from Macon, gets stifling hot in the summer.

Trust me, its a great area to be FROM.

As far as the Landings, its 108 holes of generally uninspired golf architecture, with about 3000 homes inside the gates, seemingly half of which are occupied by retired CEO's with egos bigger than their wallets. A constant clash of the titans atmosphere sort of permeates the place. The golf is not bad, but with 6 courses winding among the salt marshes, one would think they could have come up with at least one allstar. Also, the bugs are extreme at Skidaway.

I'll challenge the Kiawah chamber of commerce on his allegations at South Florida. There has never been a day in recorded weather history where the temperature hit 100 in Miami. Savannah and Charleston have them every year. Florida, being a peninsula surrounded by water has more pleasant weather than Ga/Carolina 12 months per year.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:14:41 AM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Andy Doyle

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2005, 11:23:30 AM »
Florida, being a peninsula surrounded by water has more pleasant weather than Ga/Carolina 12 months per year.

That might be true for the coastal areas, but having grown up in the central part of the state (Maitland, just north of Orlando), I can tell you that the summer months are stiffling - crushing heat and humidity.

My in-laws' neighbors in east Tennesse bought their place in Tellico as their summer home - their other home is in Maitland (a small world story in itself).  In other words, it's so hot in central Florida in the summer that even another state in the south feels cool.

AD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:23:44 AM by Andy Doyle »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
Good stuff, gentlemen.  Keep it coming.   Any specific communities?

I started this thread for personal interests primarily, but also because I thought that a number of participants here may be in a similar situation of planning for the second half of their adult lives.  Despite my constant whining about how bad I am playing, golf will always be an important part of my life in one way or another.  One of the great things about the game is that it can be enjoyed in so many different ways and places.  It even helps those with some gypsy in them because as soon as you get in a friendly club, you are no longer a stranger.

My hope is to buy or build an ultra low-maintenance residence, probably no more than 2,000 S.F., and $300m, give or take $50m.  Privacy is more important to me than living on a course, though I would want to ve within a few minutes of the club.  Some nice views would be nice, but not essential.

I don't want to play at a real busy place, preferring to pay more for a player's club that is not exclusive for its own sake, but selective in terms of having members that love golf and are not assholes.  I also don't want to be nickeled and dimed to death or forced to take a caddie or ride a cart either by club rules or peer pressure.

In regards to Austin, TX, it is one of the prettier places in the state, but I have not found the golf there to be particularly good.  Spanish Oaks is a very nice course, and I still hear mixed reports about Austin GC (the CC is not high on my list).  Austin has terrible traffic problems and it can be hotter than hell.  The cost of living is okay, with housing ranging from very affordable to exhorbitant, depending where you want to live.

Waco, TX with Ridgewood CC and a Nicklaus affiliated design course is an interesting recommendation.  I'll be heading down there in the next week or so, though it is still way too hot for my taste and pretty strictly cart golf.

For a rural type location in TX, Glen Rose and its two county courses designed by Jeff Brauer and John Colligan is a place worthy of consideration.  Due to a nearby nuclear power plant, the tax base is great so the rate is quite low.  I think that county residents pay like $7 to $10 to play the courses at Squaw Valley.  The lake that cools the twin reactors also has very clear water and some very unusual fish (just kidding).

Regarding the genteel Ms. McBride, I have no illusions that she can be turned away from the dark side.  The only time we met, early in the year of the last election, she made sure I knew of her background as a "yellow dog" Dem and wore her X-large Kerry button on a place where it could not be missed.  She seemed so happy and pleasant that disuading her from her fantisies would just be too cruel.  Hopefully her very ingratiating manner has not been undermined by the harsh realities and outcome of the election.  I am sure that if we were ever partime neighbors, that we would get along famously.  Now, Ace is altogether a different proposition.

Tiger, as one of your boys one said, "a tiger does not change his spots".  Really, if I can be the lone innocent lamb at a dinner with a pack of wolves and still enjoy the experience (and live to tell about it) isn't that a good sign that we can all get along?  You see, Sandbox Gracely had it right when he called me "The Great Unifier".  From west of Panama City to Pensecola along the coast, I am sure that I can find a little place for my double-wide.   I could be happy at Camp Creek, and something under 35' docked not too far from there.  Alternate the summers between the UK, northern US,  and Canada.

As Martin suggested, I'd enjoy spending an extended stay at or near St. Andrews.  I've visitied Aberdour, best know for its fine American resident, author, and contributor to this site, the incomparable Rihc Goodale, and that little village with its train station would make a great seasonal base.  Something like this and a season in Dornoch are definitely under consideration with a high likelyhood of happening.  Ditto for a season or two in Oz and NZ.

North Carolina appears to be a great place for a home base.  The Chapel Hill idea intrigues me, as does the Pinehurst and Charlotte area.  

I've recently visited Knoxville and very much enjoyed Holston Hills.  Proximity to airports and a cold and wet winter season along with hot and wet summers are concerns.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2005, 11:47:25 AM »
John...thanks for the reponse.  We'll cross that one off the list.  Anyone on Dataw or the N Carolina mountains?

mike_beene

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2005, 01:17:19 PM »
My father in law retired to the NC mountains(Little Switzerland) and loves it.He spends 6 or 7 months a year there.He doesn't play golf anymore,but I do when I visit.I love going down to Mt Mitchell,and next summer I am going to plan ahead on Linville and Grandfather,all within 30 minutes on the parkway.I think he has me playing at Mountain Air labor day weekend.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2005, 01:36:39 PM »
John Cullum said:
First, its too damn cold from about Thanksgiving to March. Oh, there will be a few 65 degree days in January, but every body and his brother will be playing on those days. Most of your golf on the Ga Carolina coast in December, January and February will be played in 45 to 60 degree weather. If its not raining. And that 60 degree part is from 2:30 pm to 4:15 pm.

Are you kidding man?  The above describes 1/2 of our golf season here.  I've been to Pine Needles, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines and Kiawah in January and it was a perfect 60-70* and neither was crowded with golfers that whole week.  Aren't you originally from Minnesota?  It sounds like a winter time paradise to me... 8)

Even if y'all have snow a couple of times a year in N.C-S.C border.;  if it melts within a week and you can get back out there, I'd be happy. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2005, 01:39:19 PM »
My hope is to buy or build an ultra low-maintenance residence, probably no more than 2,000 S.F., and $300m, give or take $50m.

I'd say for $300-350 m (million?), you could live pretty much anywhere you damn well please!  :o

AD

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2005, 11:44:09 AM »

You could indeed - if you were the registered householder - avail yourself of the local residents green fees (currently £113!!!)

Does that mean you only pay 113 pounds, for unlimited golf all year?  No more greens fees?  

Jim,
it does indeed. Starting to look like a really good idea now, isn't it!?!

Combined with joining one of the local clubs at, say, another £150 per annum subscription and you've got not only cheap golf at St. A, but also cheap beer and grub AND a ringside seat at any event held there...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2005, 11:47:40 AM »
Marty, start building the "uncle in-law" quarters onto your home.  I'm packing my bags. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2005, 11:54:42 AM »
Most of your golf on the Ga Carolina coast in December, January and February will be played in 45 to 60 degree weather.

Sounds absolutely perfect. If I could find a place with good golf that was 45 to 60 degrees year round, I would move there in a second. Of course, my friends tell me that description fits San Francisco, but the combination of absurd cost of living and earthquakes makes it a non starter.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2005, 11:57:08 AM »
Dearest Uncle,
would that I lived within the hallowed ground which contains the St Andrews local area, I would be outside wielding the pick and shovel as we speak.

I have the unfortunate bad luck to reside not only outwith the said geographical locale, but to also not live within the next 'ring-fence' of North-East Fife which I think extends as far South and West as Cupar. Those lucky residents receive a similar offer of discounted golf (something like £250 per annum currently?)

I have tried in vain to entice Nancy to move to St A for many years now, especially as she works in Dundee which would be a 20 minute commute for her. She will have nothing to do with the idea as she (mistakenly) believes that St A is, and I quote, "always cold and windy". Stupid Woman!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ForkaB

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2005, 12:35:06 PM »
Lou

What with the global warming caused by you and W and Tiger Bernhardt all the rest of you evil Murcan capitalists, Fife will have a Mediterranean climate by the time you are old enough to retire.  Sure the winters will still be dark, but where better to practice your night putting?

I also just found out that at age 60 you get a free bus pass and can get in and out of Edinburgh on the train for 50p each way.  Add in free health care and free tuition at University for the sprogs and it's hog heaven over here!

'tis a pity about all the tourists...... ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »
Aye, young laddie Martin.  Bah ye half ta apeeel ta hair feminin weighs.  Tull'er thers a bonnie goot shoppin a'the bonnie fein sturs   in tha grey ol toon.

Rihc, souns lik'a werkers paradise ta' me, ana eevin bettr uon fer a indulent lout lik meself. ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »
Rich,

As of last Wednesday, my wife and I are empty-nesters.  Regardless, the university at Saint Andrews wouldn't be the same if my daughter attended.

Please don't lump Tiger with me.  Though he drives a new Jag and lives large, he has fallen to the dark side, probably long before he was concious enough to know it.  In fact, though he makes a nice living with those poisonous carbon molecules that are chocking mother earth, I know he has great sympathies for those who know better than the rest of us and are aware of the damage we are doing to Mother Earth in our reckless pursuit of material things.

BTW, can an American not married to a native get a visa to reside in Fife for an extended period of time?  Would he be subjected to taxation on income and/or wealth in the UK?

AD,

I am assuming that you are not being a smartass.  If you are, there is always at least one in every group.  If you are not, m is an abreviation for one thousand; MM is for one million.  I know that the amount I've tentatively alloted won't buy me an outhouse in some parts of the country.  That's okay though.  My tastes aren't that refined anyways.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
I'm figuring McCall Idaho for summers and a few weeks in the winter for skiing.

Now I need to find a milder climate for the other months of winter.  How about New Mexico in Winter?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2005, 04:58:48 PM »
lol Mike I was talking about Lou and Mrs. McBride , not you. You Kathleen and I see eye to I on most all things political. It was great to be in NY with Childs and the many other nice D's last week. I think Rich may be on to something with Fife. One great man of GCA being the Old Tom Morris of the Bay area once looked to Scotland or Ireland for the things Lou speaks of. I think it will work for the hot summer season. one just needs a home for the dark colder season.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2005, 06:18:18 PM »
Tiger,

I knew that :D

By the way, I've been in Fife in January, March, and December and it's not a pretty site unless bone chilling cold works for you although I did play the Old Course in January and the New in March.  Of course, this was in the mid-80's and I was much younger ;D

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »
Lou

What with the global warming caused by you and W and Tiger Bernhardt all the rest of you evil Murcan capitalists, Fife will have a Mediterranean climate by the time you are old enough to retire.  Sure the winters will still be dark, but where better to practice your night putting?
Rich - you forget to mention the downside - melting of the polar ice caps will cause the links at St Andrews to be under several feet of water - not to mention Dornoch as I read in your book!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2005, 08:04:40 PM »
Lou

Rich - you forget to mention the downside - melting of the polar ice caps will cause the links at St Andrews to be under several feet of water - not to mention Dornoch as I read in your book!

Like the Chinese did with the Yellow River (or tried to anyway), they will build massive dykes to hold the waters at bay.  

Bill Gayne

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »

A retirement location, not necessarily an adults only community for "active seniors", that has a good combination of the following:

1) relatively pleasant weather without extremes at both ends;
2) quality golf courses in terms of architecture, maintenance, and membership (not just a bunch of old married couples playing hit and giggle);
3) within a couple hours of a major airport;
4) not far from a university or center with cultural activities;
5) not requiring a large investment in real estate;
6) a reasonable cost of living and tax burden;
7) other outdoor activities.

Lou,

I'm not sure what you consider extreme weather, a large investment, or a reasonable cost of living and tax burden but you may want to consider Williamsburg, Virginia. It's a pleasant place to live with plenty of other retirees.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2005, 12:21:57 AM »
Bill,

By my standards, Dallas has extreme weather ranging from well below freezing to three months of like hell conditions.  I've sat at many baseball games when the 10:00 p.m. temperature was still in the mid to upper 90s.  

Over $350,000 would constitute a large investment in real estate.  Reasonable cost of living would be something within the 65 to 70 percentile; reasonable tax burden would exclude most states with more than a 5% income tax rate, relatively high sales tax (say over 5% if it has an income tax), and a property tax rate over 1% based on full valuation.

An old friend of mine recommended the Shenendoah (sp) valley many years ago.  He wanted to build a golf course and claimed that the weather on the east side of the mountains was very moderate throughout the year, but with four separate seasons.  

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »
Bend, OR or Traverse City, MI from May to Oct.
Tucson, AZ from Nov - April.

If you enjoy winter sports (and I'm not talking ice fishing),
Just stay in Bend 12 months.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:35:52 AM by Don_Mahaffey »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2005, 09:03:52 AM »
Lou,

The only criteria that probably couldn't be met is the tax burden. Marginal state income taxes about 6% and sales taxes generally between 4-6% depending on locality. Real estate taxes are extremely low in York and James City County.

The Shenadoah Valley is nice but it would have the same tax structure and the Weather would be more extreme than the Tidewater or Peidmont area of Virginia.

Bill

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2005, 09:15:56 AM »

I'll challenge the Kiawah chamber of commerce on his allegations at South Florida. There has never been a day in recorded weather history where the temperature hit 100 in Miami. Savannah and Charleston have them every year. Florida, being a peninsula surrounded by water has more pleasant weather than Ga/Carolina 12 months per year.

I've lived in Charleston since 1999 and on only one occasion (this summer) did it hit 100 degress.  It's normally in the low 90s all summer long.  I lived in South Florida (Miami from 1990 to 1997 - North Palm Beach from 1997-1999) and will definately confirm that it's far warmer taking in the 100% humidity with no where near the cooling ocean breezes we get here on Kiawah...

We get about a dozen "frost delays" a year here but we're just as likely to be in the 70s as in the 40s in Jan/Feb.  December and March are usually pretty nice.  The official average costal tems in Dec is high of 60 and a low of 40, January is high of 60 and low of 40 and Febuary is high of 62 and a low of 42.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:21:08 AM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2005, 12:27:59 PM »
Mike,

I would be very happy with a place near the Ocean course and a membership at the Island Club.  Alas, my finances would be stressed along with my daughter's expectations.  I guess that I should have been a better student, worked much harder, made better investment choices, and not have played as much golf as I have.  Can I blame or sue somebody?
Nah, I am sure that there is a little place off the radar where people like me can find peace and happiness for whatever time we have prior to being put to our final rest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back