News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Thoughts on Dublin
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
Well it only took 47 years, six Australian and two New Zealand trips to prompt me to make the 50 minute flight from LHR to Dublin for a golfing stag trip.

We played Portmarnock and Royal Dublin. Being early in the season both courses were far from their best but a dry winter meant the courses were well presented, firm and dry.

Portmarnock is a quality set up and we played the Yellow and Blue nines. Things got eventful playing the second when I heard a yelp from the four ahead of us. I turned to my fourball and said "either someone's had a hole in one or broken an ankle" fortunately the stag holed his wedge for an ace! The Yellow is the spare nine but a good loop and certainly not a fill in. The Blue is of the highest quality and difficult to score on.

Royal Dublin has a great front nine with tight drives and humps and hollows everywhere. A swan swimming in the pond beside the 9th green was a little surreal! The back nine is flatter and far more open but at 3900+ yards off the stones.

I was surprised by the lack of customer service at both clubs, at Portmarnock we were booked for 8.06 and 8.13, now 8 x €115 is a fair bit of income on 1st March so getting a member of staff in at 7.30 to get the coffee on and welcome guests shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. Instead we managed to grab €2 plastic cup coffees from the pro shop machine, I maybe over sensitive but 8 of us spent €1470 on golf and lunch. Royal Dublin had a €1 coffee machine in the locker room but even arriving at 8.30 the only member of staff was an eastern European lady cleaner who couldnt tell me if we were in the men's locker room. Both clubs appeared to have exclusively eastern European bar and catering staff, although pleasant and efficient there was no local input.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:28:44 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Thoughts on Dublin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Mark,

I'm surprised no-one was there to greet you at 7.30, not even one of the three (Irish) caddy masters? The bar & catering certainly has reduced hours during the winter months so I'm not surprised about that. It is manned skilfully by a whole array of local input and a few from further afield who have been at the club for quite a few years.

Where was the ace? The 12th hole I presume if it was a wedge?

Ally

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
Ally the third on the Yellow nine, it was 150 yards slightly uphill but a 1-2 club following wind.

Appreciate reduced hours but if you take a booking then surely you should provide the minimum of service? Not expecting bacon rolls and waitresses but decent coffee and access to the clubhouse should be on even if you have to pay a member of staff for an extra hour.

Brian - Dublin is currently tres expensive even chicken tikka massala, rice and a naan was €25 around 40% more expensive than London. Had decent steak at Fire next to Mansion House and great wings at Elephant & Castle in Temple Bar. Maldron Hotel on Cardiff Lane was good.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:50:35 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
Appreciate reduced hours but if you take a booking then surely you should provide the minimum of service? Not expecting bacon rolls and waitresses but decent coffee and access to the clubhouse should be on even if you have to pay a member of staff for an extra hour.

I don't disagree Mark...

Need to clear just a little gorse off the tee to the left of that 3rd hole on the yellow nine... Good hole though

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »
Chappers

I can't help wondering if it were a party of Americans on the road if you might say they are lucky to have access to a private course so they should put up or shut up.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
Dublin is such an awesome place that I wouldn't sully it by playing golf there!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
Mark

Hopefully you are headed up the road to Baltray? You will get a slightly warmer welcome.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Absolutely love Dublin, but Royal Dublin was one of my least favorite of the Irish links I played.

RCD and Ballybunion were of course amazing. Played Port Marnock, Port Stewart, Portrush, Waterville. But I really enjoyed Tralee's back nine. That stood out in my mind.  I want to go back and give it another shot for sure.

'Til PV
'til the Road Hole....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
We were on a four night stag trip with two days golf, Portmarnock and Royal Dublin were ideal logistically being within 30 minutes of the city centre. I thought Dublin a great little city and the locals - when you met them - were delightful. I'd love a 1% share of the Guinness factory tour revenue!
Cave Nil Vino

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
As guests at Portmarnock last summer, I can remember thinking how great it must be to be a member there. The club and course exist for the members and from my minimal exposure, I thought that Portmarnock must be the ultimate golf club.

I can't help but chuckle at the thought that many Portmarnock members might be pleased to see their "customer service" criticised.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
Steve - Members soon complain when visitor income drops off and their subs rise. It's interesting to note that Royal Dublin's 2012 green fees are actually lower than 2011.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back