News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Best Retirement Areas With Quality GCA
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:37:31 AM »
There are a number of publications which review retirement golf communities.  Some of these are full of advertising for the same developments that are featured, and I am not real good at extracting the marketing hype from the write-ups.

With this site's geographically wide membership, a heightened interest in golf, and many also with travel, I can't think of a better source for the type of information I am seeking.  So, here is what I am after, should some of you wish to lend your opinions and advice:

A retirement location, not necessarily an adults only community for "active seniors", that has a good combination of the following:

1) relatively pleasant weather without extremes at both ends;
2) quality golf courses in terms of architecture, maintenance, and membership (not just a bunch of old married couples playing hit and giggle);
3) within a couple hours of a major airport;
4) not far from a university or center with cultural activities;
5) not requiring a large investment in real estate;
6) a reasonable cost of living and tax burden;
7) other outdoor activities.

North Carolina has been mentioned in general.  I am looking for more specific areas and communities.  

Hopefully, this information will be of interest to a number of gca.com participants.  Thanks in advance.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Best Retirement Areas With Quality GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:34:45 AM »
Despite retirement being many years away for me, I still think about this topic.

One that creeps up for me is Lake Oconee, GA.  Membership at Cuscowilla (and/or Harmony Club if it ever gets built).  Can live reasonably at Cuscowilla or other places.  Likely would make friends with members at Reynolds for occasional play on those 5 courses.

It does get pretty toasty in mid-summer (though no hotter than Dallas), but not for long.  Mild winters.

Hour+ to Hartsfield.

One thing that narrows this topic and location down is the walking issue.  Way too many retirement clubs are cartball only or 'centric'.  I plan on walking (and carrying and/or using a trolley) until I die, as long as my health allows.  No required caddies.

Yeamans Hall seems to fit my anal set of criteria, as well.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 10:34:54 AM »
Denver or Albuquerque.  Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT move anywhere between Wilmington, NC and Charleston SC.

Matt Ward says he can give you the details, but probably won't. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:35:46 AM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:38 AM »
Lou,
Athens, Ga.
45 minutes to Lake Oconee
UGA in town
Reasonable cost of living
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:40:34 AM »
Mike,

Don't you have a project at Lake Oconee?  What's the status of that one?  Will it be public/private, etc.?

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 10:56:29 AM »
Georgia and the Carolinas are just too damn cold in the winter.

Try Stuart/Hobe Sound/Jupiter FL or Ocala FL.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:03:29 AM »
Stevenson Ranch, home of KP??, is beginning the housing development phase of the property soon.

Fits all the criteria you mention but the kicker is ... Cowboy Poetry ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike_Golden

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »
Lou,

You could do worse than look at the Pensacola area.  Lots of affordable golf-the only totally private club, Pensacola CC, is going to be closed for a year for a complete workover by Jerry Pate and the resulting course should be pretty good, particuarly with Ace McBride on the BOD of the club and pushing for the McBride Redan.  Cost of membership is under $10K.

I just bought a very nice 2600 square foot house in town that's 5 years old for $220K so real estate continues to be reasonable, there's some cultural activity (opera, symphony, theater) and enough good restaurants so it doesn't get boring.  Of course, it does get hot in the summer but I'm told the spring, fall and winters are pretty nice.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 11:30:38 AM »
Lou, as you and I have talked about this, I continue to believe that the ideal golf-retirement would be two modest abodes in different parts of the country.  I would love to remain here in Wisconsin for quality of life, and great and affordable golf during summer, and have a nice little place near Southern Pines for winter.  Even if I were relegated to just play SP and Tobacco Road, it would be a joy.  Retirement and affordable would have to be used in the same sentence, in my case  ;) ;D.

I was duly impressed with the city of Athens.  I am not sure that they are quite affordable enough in their everyday golf, or memberships to qualify for me personally.  

Now, if they could only get just a smidgen warmer in Gothenburg, and be open for play all year... I know exactly where I'd retire!  Unfortunately, I know exactly where my wife would not... :'(
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 11:31:19 AM »
Georgia and the Carolinas are just too damn cold in the winter.

Try Stuart/Hobe Sound/Jupiter FL or Ocala FL.

Yeah, and it gets a little windy in Florida during hurricane season ... ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 11:31:55 AM »
Bend, Oregon

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 11:37:09 AM »
Here is my rating of Tucson on these criteria

1) relatively pleasant weather without extremes at both ends;

There is perfect weather at some time in the day nearly every day of the year.  The summers are hot, but early morning golf will involve temperatures from 60-85 (within the same day) with low humidity. All in all, it is still better to get to the mountains or the midwest in the summer.

2) quality golf courses in terms of architecture, maintenance, and membership (not just a bunch of old married couples playing hit and giggle);

While many here would disagree, personally, I love playing desert golf.  The well designed courses are wide enough not to be suffocating and the desert is beautiful, particularly in Tucson where it is natural and not artificial like it is on many courses around Phoenix.  Tucson County Club is a very good, if not great course and my sense is that its membership is a good one.  I'm not familiar enough with the membership of the Gallery and La Paloma to have much of a feel for their membership or atmosphere.

Yes

yes

I know prices are rising.  Don't know how it compares.

Other than housing, Tucson is good on these fronts.

Almost anything you want to do.  In particular, hiking in the desert and mountains is fantastic.

Other possibilities if you want a cooler climate would be Denver or New Mexico.  I'd be interested in the views of others regarding those locations.  I know in Denver, you can play year round, although you cannot depend on playing any particular day.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 12:08:10 PM »
Dick, Fine Italian cusine is in it's infancy in the Sand Hills region. They will need more. ;) Now if you just get somebody to help with the work.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 12:24:22 PM »
Carmel,

Oops, missed reading #'s 6 and 7.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »
Carmel,

Oops, missed reading #'s 6 and 7.

Bob

Bob -

I was going to mention your area but didn't for the same reasons you note.  But on the other hand, if you have owned property for 20-30 years, the cost of housing ain't so bad.

Mike

peter_p

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 12:37:16 PM »
Mornington or Bellarine Peninsulas near Melbourne.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 01:06:05 PM »
Thanks for your responses and suggestions.  I hope there are many more to come.

SB- walking is another criteria I should have noted, which limits hot weather locations considerably.  I am finding it much easier when playing in Dallas and Houston during the summer to hop on a cart.  Many of my former walking golf buddies have become so accustomed to riding that they won't walk any more, even on cool days.  Lake Oconee is on my list, though the real estate within the resort is too pricey and more than I want or need, the resort courses are not what I prefer, and the summers a bit too hot.

RJ- other than having to maintain two homes which I probably don't want to do (I've been known to sweat details and worry beyond reasonable), your suggestion is probably one that I'll try.  I guess it would be possible to own at a winter place and rent for a few months elsewhere during the hot seasons.

MY- I was impressed with Athens, and your home club.  Costa Rica will be included in my search as well, though I like living in the U.S. better.

JC and MG- FL seems too hot and crowded.  Also, from a gca and walking standpoint, not very compelling.  I do need to look at the center of the state and the pan handle a bit more carefully.

shivas- DFW is way too hot for my tastes.  Also, cart golf is the rule here and either you gamble for a bunch of money or just for pennies (no $2 to $5 Nassaus, buck skins, etc.; plenty of $50/$30 Wolf, $5+ carry-over skins, and limitless side bets).

BH- you, sir, are a bad man.  Carmel is at the top of my wish list and near the bottom of my can-do.  However, if you can get me into a little club that I am so fond of, perhaps I can scrape things together.

redanman- I've spent a bit of time in Marbella, and like Spain as a place to visit.  RTJ's work is not generally my cup of tea, and living in Spain is somewhat of a hassle.

Mr. Crockett, do you live between Wilmington and Charleston?

jg7236

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 01:35:18 PM »
Palm Desert/La Quinta/Palm Springs:

Tradition

Bighorn Golf Club

Vintage

Hideway

The Quarry

The HOA's of these communities are top notch and the golf is great.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 01:40:03 PM »

Mr. Crockett, do you live between Wilmington and Charleston?

I do not.  I live in Alpharetta, GA, just north of Atlanta.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »
Alternate between Portland OR in the summer and Costa Rica in the rest of the year.  Mike Young apparently has some good golf down there in Costa Rica, and Portland is loaded with good golf and beautiful summer weather.  Costa Rica is apparently so cheap it would make it possible to maintain two nice homes if the Portland home wasn't too large.

I agree about the Panhandle - not enough good golf and too hot and sticky in the summer.  You guys stay away, okay?  Golden snuck in but that's it.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 02:15:43 PM »
Ace,

Mike Golden's comments about the Pensecola CC redo and his large house have me intrigued.  I can get a non-resident membership at PCC, rent a wing at the Golden estate, and house-sit when you are gone.  Heck, I'll even regale your lovely wife with some good conservative philosophy while you are out there applying your trade and/or playing golf with your clients and associates.

I do love the beaches around there and the excellent fishing on the golf.

As to Portland, do the courses ever dry up?  When I was there in May, Portland GC and Pumpkin Ridge were quagmires, though lovely nevertheless.

A.G.- what's wrong with the areas between Wilmington and Charleston?  The heat?  How about Greenville, SC?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 02:16:49 PM »
Palm Desert/La Quinta/Palm Springs:

Tradition

Bighorn Golf Club

Vintage

Hideway

The Quarry

The HOA's of these communities are top notch and the golf is great.

John Gunning,

When I suggested Carmel, it was tongue in cheek.

The cost of joining the clubs you mentioned would seriously impact Lou's retirement funds. I believe a couple of them require you own a house on the property. A friend has just moved to the Hideaway and the lot was $500k and the house is on the way to a million and a half. Not cheap.

Bob

John Keenan

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
I would add The Vintage to the list of well on the high side with Misters Gates and Buffet as members

In addition walking in Palm Sprins in the summer is out of the question.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 03:53:57 PM »
Lou D. -

This topic has me a bit intrigued, as I am 3-5 years from possibly doing something along these lines myself. I have already begun thinking about it. The parameters you have laid out for your search make a lot of sense to me.

How would the Hill Country around Austin, TX qualify against your standards? Is it a possible contender?

I have also been wondering about Chapparal Pines/The Rim in Payson, AZ, which is about 90 miles northeast of Phoenix. The golf there looks a little on the pricey side however.

Let us know how your search goes!

DT    

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »
Lou,
two words:

SAINT

and

ANDREWS

1) relatively pleasant weather without extremes at both ends

Very low rainfall (for Scotland); temperate all year climate (mostly!)

7 Courses you can play for about £150 A YEAR!!!

Edinburgh maybe an hour away.

Only one of the oldest Yoonies in the YooKay.

Expensive (for Scotland!)

Okay - you got me on the whole TAX thing - Petrol a FIVER a gallon - Come on!!!

ANYTHING you like....

No other real alternative as far as I can see!

Cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back