GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Doak Scale

<< < (4/5) > >>

Tom_Doak:
There were a dozen "10's" when the book was published [all the courses mentioned, plus Royal Melbourne West], and as I recall there were about the same number of "0's".

When the book was published, GOLFWEEK's review focused on the courses with the zero rating, trying to stir up some controversy.  [Hard to believe it, but at one time not every golf magazine was full of Doak b-boys.]  I thought that was unfair, particularly as those courses are sprinkled throughout the book and I made no attempt to draw particular attention to them.  I would appreciate it if no one repeated that exercise.

Incidentally, two or three of the "0" rated courses have since been significantly re-done.  The one which has been well covered here was Stone Harbor in NJ.  GOLFWEEK's book reviewer played the course and insisted it should be a "5" or "6", which I got a good laugh over.

I've still got a few copies of that brown-cover edition which you can have for $100 instead of $350, if you really want to own it.

Tom_Doak:
Sean:

There are some slight editing, two years' more worth of courses seen, and a lot of nice photos in the color, Cruden Bay edition.  Otherwise it's not much different.

Mike_Cirba:
ShoreGate Golf Course in southern NJ by Ron Fream and David Dale is a solid Doak "0".  

A round there may jaundice your view of architecture permanently.

Of course, it did make Golf Magazine's "Top 10 You Can Play" listing the year it opened.  Nice job, Brian.   ::)

John Kirk:
Pacific Dunes is a 10.

Palo Alto Municipal (William F. Bell, 1957, plus others) is a 4, the best of the unusual San Francisco Baylands courses.

AndrewB:

--- Quote from: John Kirk on August 28, 2005, 01:55:16 AM ---Palo Alto Municipal (William F. Bell, 1957, plus others) is a 4, the best of the unusual San Francisco Baylands courses.

--- End quote ---

I played the first 13 holes yesterday (it got dark) for the first time.  From what I saw, I would say 4 is a stretch.  This certainly didn't seem like an above-average course to me at all (3 is average on the Doak scale).

What are the other SF Baylands courses you are referring to?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version