News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

The FEW BASIC Strategies in Golf Course Architecture
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
According to Charles Macdonald in his early writings (and I’m sure others as well) he stated that there were about 6 to 8 basic strategies in golf course architecture - again, his statement.

Taking his thought further, my question is: How many of these BASIC strategies can we identify, taking the many great strategies in GCA down to their lowest common denominator?

Examples:

1.   The Redan strategy, perhaps the most interesting and most used strategies, whether on a one shot or two shot hole; a green perched on a plateau situated at a semi-severe angle to the intended line of play - the green usually guarded by a deep sand pit, perhaps a deflection shoulder - the green often tilted in on direction or another, but not necessarily a requisite.

2.   The use of a diagonal hazard or feature jutting into the fairway, offering the golfer a number of options; skirting the feature, laying up short of the feature, or tempting the golfer to successfully challenge it in order to gain better positioning for his next shot. (This would include, what some of us refer to as, the “cape” tee-shot :-) -  18th-Pebble -18th- Sawgrass. etc )

I would love to “hear” the thoughts offered by our learned group on this subject.

Remember BASIC strategies - examples offered using existing holes would be fine but an explanation should be included
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill Gayne

Re:The FEW BASIC Strategies in Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 11:57:32 AM »
The strategy of the short/drivable par four or the short five. Lay-up or go for it?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 12:10:17 PM »
Possibly to expound on Bill's thought there, what about the 1/2 par hole?

Whether it's a 90-yard par 2 1/2, a 275 yard par 3 1/2, or a 480 par 4-1/2. Isn't this a strategy most architects used as some point in there golf courses. I guess it's the hole where you feel like you should make the smaller number, but always make the bigger one.  

Or, George are you getting more into "types" of holes? As in maybe a Principal's Nose "strategy" where you have actual "fairway" bunkers and you are rewarded with a better look at the green by challenging these bunkers.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 12:20:25 PM »
Shivas - So I can get smarter, do you mean a forced carry type shot or are you referring to the "cape" style hole that Mr. Bahto already refers to?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:23:37 PM »
George,
Forced carries from the tee or for the approach.
Doglegs, sweeping or sharp.
Blind shots.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 12:25:49 PM »
George,

Here is my take, from my Cybergolf series.

Strategy starts at the pro shop, where players “buy a better game.”  But, smart on course strategy lowers score, with obvious cost advantages and better odds of success!  

Golfers make strategic decisions, even on holes without strategic qualities.  They must:

•   Know their distance with each club
•   Adjust for wind, uphill/downhill conditions, and slopes that affect distance or roll.
•   Account for daily variances in weather, hole locations, and game situations
•   Aim correctly, allowing for shot pattern, wind, and lie.  Trajectory and spin control is becoming as or more important than curving the ball these day......

For many, those demands are enough – or too much!  Nonetheless, strategic choices make it even more fascinating!  I exploit the universal desire for lower scores* by placing hazards requiring mental agility to conquer.  It starts on the tee shot, which all fall under these classifications:

“Heroic”

Heroic holes have dramatic options of driving over non recoverable hazards, versus playing to a safe fairway.  Examples include:

o    “Cape Holes,” with a diagonal carry over lake, or

o    “Challenge Fairways”, where an alternate fairway straightens/shortens the hole significantly.

Heroic holes work well downwind, tempting golfers to carry hazards, and increasing the value of open front greens, as the wind will reduce approach shot backspin.  These holes reward length, so I limit their use.

“Strategic”

Strategic tee shots come in a few different philosophical types:

•   “Position paradox”

You really need to find a certain fairway position, but really, really, want to avoid surrounding hazards!

•   “Variable”

Daily wind conditions and pin locations dictate possible advantages.  These require wide fairways, staggered bunkering, and greens with multiple pin locations.

•   ”Democratic”

These accept most shot patterns, with advantage coming from playing to your strength.

•   “Diminishing Returns”

Gradually narrowing fairways create dilemmas between the advantages of shorter approaches versus missing fairways.  On long holes, the length advantage is usually very strong; but on short holes, it’s less.  

These work best on medium par 4’s, and reachable par 5’s.  

“Penal”

Penal tee shots come in three varieties:

•   “Forced Lay Ups” caused by full crossing hazards limiting full tee shot distance.  Up or downwind, or downhill complicates getting close to the hazard without going in.

•   “Forced Carries caused by full crossing hazards requiring minimum length tee shots to reach the fairway.  These are sometimes necessary, but provide little strategy, so I use them rarely.

•   “Bottleneck“, requiring shot placement in a narrow landing area, surrounded by trouble.  

“Hybrid”

There are other tee shot strategies, which have as much “challenge” as strategy:

•   “Cross Slope fairways” dictating “high side” play, or a combination of flat areas and rolls providing advantages in limited areas.

•   “Forced Curve.”  Ground hazards suggest curved shots.  Well placed trees dictate them!  Golf shots reach horizontal and vertical apex 70% through flight.  Encroaching trees 180-200 yards from the back tee best accommodates curved tee shots, but require wide fairways, so all shot patterns can hit some part of the fairway.

•   “Open Field” with little difficulty, providing either equal access from everywhere (useful on public courses and opening holes), or with a green creating “delayed penalty” from certain areas.  

•   “Battlefield” with randomly strewn hazards.  Little used, unless some areas have fewer hazards than others to create some strategy.

With an infinite number of subtle variations on these tee shot concepts, it’s a shame that so many courses have blandly repetitive tee shots, when they could easily have 14 distinct full tee shots!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 12:31:20 PM »
 8)

gca strategy...  provide an ebb and flow or variety to the difficulty/shot making necessary to complete a round
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Dickson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:44:51 PM »
Variance between long and short landing areas:
    -If the golfer drives the ball long, he may give up visiblity, flatness of lie or the preferred approach angle (etc) in exchange for a shorter approach, while a shorter tee shot would have preserved these elements

George_Bahto

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:09:57 PM »
I haven't had time (yet) to read all the examples - thanks ..... on vacation (wife pacification week) but .....

Jeff: man you're gong to make me "study" your post - hah

more later

some thoughts on basics:  alternate fairway hole (Jeff Brauer's) .....  

a blind second shot to the green ......

Bill Gayne: driveable par 4's (how great are they)

Lefty Kennedy: forced carries - drive and/or approach

no, not specific holes but what the archie created that made you think on the shot

I think one of my favorites is the use of the diagonal off the tee: C & C - T Doak - Gil - Pete Dye etc (forgive me not mentioning others)

Jeffs's got a load of them .... I love his mention of:
BATTLE FIELD STRATEGY!!

MORE LATER
gb

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 11:14:56 PM »
George,

I think you can boil all of C.B.'s positions down to one sweet cup of tee.  Simply put -

The architect exists to challenge / punish man's hubris.

That can be broken into subcategories of greed, pride, egotism, and delusion.

In an effort to make this theory understandable, I'm going to rewrite the rest a few times before posting.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:31:45 AM »
I've enjoyed all of the above contributions.  I can't really think of anything more to say.  George did ask for "a few basic strategies" and got what appears to be an all encompassing response from some very smart fellows... ;) ;D

Lately, I'm playing so much golf at the same place and with the same known quantity of fellows all the time, my only approach to strategy is; do we play nassau two two and twos, skins, include extra pay for putts on both sides, greenies only if two putt, sandy pars, etc.  Strategy= know what your competitor's game is like, and negotiate your best deal... ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:35:48 AM »
Jeff Brauer,
Under the Open Field part of your post, what do you mean by "delayed penalty" on the green?  Is this a tee shot that can be hit pretty much anywhere, but you can only get close to the pin from certain positions?  What do you have in mind there?

BTW, I pasted your post to a word file and saved it; great resource for study.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:09:06 AM »
Jeff Brauer,
Under the Open Field part of your post, what do you mean by "delayed penalty" on the green?  Is this a tee shot that can be hit pretty much anywhere, but you can only get close to the pin from certain positions?  What do you have in mind there?

BTW, I pasted your post to a word file and saved it; great resource for study.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.

AG,

Thanks, but I just cut and pasted my previous writings.  Now, I have been "pasted" on this site before, but this is the first of the good kind.....

As to the open field, with a delayed penalty, the first thing you need to know is that is a great hockey term which I like using.  The genesis for that idea was the old 6th at Sunset Ridge near Chicago. As I remember it, the fw was quite wide, but the green sat behind a narrow gap of trees.  You could hit it anywhere, but had trouble reaching the green unless piped down the middle.  I have created similar holes, either with trees or a wedge shaped green with bunkers on both sides.  (One of the few times I like the old standby bunker left, bunker right gree)  The same thought applies - why put fw hazards flanking the fw when the best option is from right up the middle because of green hazards.

It would also be possible to create a delayed penatly green with great contours, or sloping hard left or right.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George_Bahto

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 12:13:03 AM »

Tony said:    “Or, George are you getting more into "types" of holes? As in maybe a Principal's Nose "strategy" where you have actual "fairway" bunkers and you are rewarded with a better look at the green by challenging these bunkers.”

Tony, to me that PN at TOC strategy is one of the “funnest!” - not funniest, the funnest to play. CBM did not ever used the PN in that manner that I know of but rather positioned the PN bunker short of greens (usually, if not always, double plateau greens) just to annoy the golfer on his second shot - I think he missed the point on this one (16-Old Course)
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 12:13:58 AM »
Mike Dickson referred to:
Variance between long and short landing areas:
“If the golfer drives the ball long, he may give up visibility, flatness of lie or the preferred approach angle (etc) in exchange for a shorter approach, while a shorter tee shot would have preserved these element.”

GB: I really like this one !!
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 12:22:39 AM »

More examples - some repeats: (Macdonald in the early days)

*   Alternate fairways (4th Lido)

*   Hazarding the 2nd shot landing area creating a go/no-go situation (14 St Andrews)

*   Oasis greens (Short(s))

*   The slopes and mounds in fairways that cause balls to bound (what some might deem) unfairly off the intended line of play even though the golf thought he hit a fine shot  - NGLA / Yale are good examples ...  as was the original intent of Lido course where he envisioned the fairways, alternately, sloping in different directions

*   Forced carries (Sahara: 2nd NGLA)
   Wethered & Simpson

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 08:48:37 AM »
Jeff Brauer,

AG,

Thanks, but I just cut and pasted my previous writings.  Now, I have been "pasted" on this site before, but this is the first of the good kind.....

As to the open field, with a delayed penalty, the first thing you need to know is that is a great hockey term which I like using.  The genesis for that idea was the old 6th at Sunset Ridge near Chicago. As I remember it, the fw was quite wide, but the green sat behind a narrow gap of trees.  You could hit it anywhere, but had trouble reaching the green unless piped down the middle.  I have created similar holes, either with trees or a wedge shaped green with bunkers on both sides.  (One of the few times I like the old standby bunker left, bunker right gree)  The same thought applies - why put fw hazards flanking the fw when the best option is from right up the middle because of green hazards.

It would also be possible to create a delayed penatly green with great contours, or sloping hard left or right.

Thanks, Jeff.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 09:02:32 AM »
Heroic holes work well downwind, tempting golfers to carry hazards, and increasing the value of open front greens, as the wind will reduce approach shot backspin.  These holes reward length, so I limit their use.
Jeff, terrific post.
One question--why would limit the use of holes that rewards length? Is it so a variety of different areas are rewarded rather than just length?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 09:05:57 AM »
Could you describe a green where you have to hit 'the spot' or die as a strategic hole?

I'm thinking of the 6th at Hunstanton.  It's about 330 yards.  The fairway is reasonably wide and flat and at the end of it there's a hugh dune with a small green at the very top.  Come up short and you'll be playing yournext shot from somewhere near the bottom of the dune with an awkward stance. Go left and you roll into a bunker about half way up (anyone fancy a shot from a bunker that has to go 40' straight up in the air?).  Right and the ball goes down even lower than it's starting point into an enoumous pit that the 7th plays over, leaving the long shot as the best miss as you might end up on the 7th tee.  The glory of this hole is pure theatre as you see the problem as you play the parrallel 5th hole, then an easy 3 wood before you have to hit that soft landing wedge.

This 'strategy' also works on par 3's, 17th at TPC Sawgrass, the Postage Stamp and the 6th(?) at Augusta
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:06:42 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 04:26:08 PM »
How about the:

"Alternating Shot Shape"

e.g., Draw off of tee, fade to green and vise-versa>

JWK

Michael Moore

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 11:06:15 PM »
Anti-strategy.

Best summed up by Tom Fazio on one of the Preserve flyovers when he indicated that there was a bunker on that side of the fairway so that the golfers eye and energy would be drawn towards the preferable other side of the fairway.

This is not facetious - just like antimatter is matter, anti-strategy is strategy. There is no rule that says that strategy has to be driven by a cost/benefit analysis performed by the golfer. The architect can decide for you.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back