News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

places to play in/near Raleigh NC
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:34:10 PM »
hello all :)

I gotta be there in a few weeks , so I'm thinking definitely the Duke course and probably Tot Hill Farm

opinions/alternatives/ etc would be appreciated

thanks

pt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

A.G._Crockett

Re:places to play in/near Raleigh NC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 12:38:26 PM »
Tot Hill is somewhat farther than Tobacco Rd. if you are looking for Strantz experiences.  Also, you are an hour from Pinehurst, with TR on the way, when you are in Raleigh.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
There is the battle of ACC courses, Finley (UNC) vs. Duke.  Usually a toss-up on which one people prefer...and some dislike both.

There is Scott Burroughs Links, a.k.a. Wake Forest Golf Club (North Raleigh.

I agree with A.G. about Tobacco Road being a better use of a drive that Tot Hill.  

If you can work some private-club connections, I'd recommend either Raleigh CC or Hope Valley (Durham).  If I were still an RCC member, I'd host you out there, but no can do anymore.  It's usually considered the best course in the Raleigh area.
Depending what day(s) you're in town, I might be able to get some of my buddies to host you.  Richard Mandell just finished some really nice restoration work out there.  Hope Valley is a restored Ross (by Brian Silva) and I've heard good things about it as well.

Another good track on the south side of town (in Garner) is The Neuse.    

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
Keith Hills in Buies Creek is a good candidate.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 12:53:47 PM »
I'll be going to Pinehurst later in the week ;D, so I will also be getting to T Road, sorry for the confusion

I think I'll have time for two rounds while in Raleigh, hence my ideas about Duke and Tot Hill...

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 01:01:16 PM »
Paul,

What are the dates you'll be here and in Pinehurst?

Certainly you're welcome to join me at my club if I can get out, but I understand completely if you want to play others instead.  Everyone else from out of town* does, too.   :)

*except one weirdo.   ;D

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »
Well, it's your call....but try not to take any negative vibes about Mr.Strantz going overboard at Tot Hill effect your experience at Tobacco Road.

Keep in mind the co-ed factor at Finley (UNC) will be much higher than at Tot Hill.  Not to mention that you'd be closer to Franklin Street for after golf libations.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 01:03:20 PM »
Tot Hill is worth the drive if you especially want to see a Strantz course, though many like it least of his courses.  The Duke-UNC idea by Brian is a good one.  Duke was redone by Rees Jones; everyone agrees that it is an improvement, no matter how much they like of dislike it.  Finley at UNC was totally redone by Fazio about 7 years ago, and has be somewhat controversial as a $8 million project.  I have to admit liking it more that I originally did, but still have reservations about the destruction of the old layout.  Generally a highly-regarded course, though probably not as good as Duke.  (Man, does THAT hurt a Tarheel to write! :'()

mikes1160

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 01:03:53 PM »
Paul,

Personally, I'd choose UNC/Finley instead of Tot Hill, unless you want to check another one off the Maverick Trail  :)

It's a quite a cruise to Asheboro as well

The Heritage in N. Raleigh/Wake Forest is another good choice

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 01:06:57 PM »
Paul,

You're also welcome to park your car in my driveway and jump on Devils Ridge (Holly Springs) at the 13th or 14th hole.  It's a housing track, but it does have it's share of decent holes.  Unfortunately, it also has some long walks.  

Will Hubbard

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
Paul,

I am from Raleigh and am a member at Raleigh Country Club  and would be glad to get you a time there.  Depending on your schedule I probably can't join you. Though I am biased, I agree with Sandbox that RCC is the best in Raleigh. Email me if you want to.

Both Duke and UNC/Finley are a toss up.  Just know what you are getting Jones vs. Fazio and take your pick.  Sometimes conditioning is an issue at Duke.  It has been awhile since I have played either, so ask.    

I am in agreement that TR is better overall than Tot Hill Farm. THF has too many overly severe holes that were probably dictated by the severity of the site.  But the problem remains. Also Tot Hill is really not in the Raleigh area.  THF is at least an hour and a half or more drive.

Whatever your choice, most good courses are aerifiying their greens around this time so ask.  RCC was scheduled to do that the beginning of this week, and weather was good so I assume they were punched.

any other questions feel free to email me.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 02:11:35 PM »
Hubbs,

Has RCC relaxed their unaccompanied-guest policy recently?  The last handbook I saw said it was prohibited.

But then again, I'm sure Wally, Joey, E.John or Mr.Ruby would be willing to play within him as they are always out there.  

Paul - are you better than a 15 handicap?  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:12:01 PM by Sandbox_Gracely »

Will Hubbard

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »
Sandbox,

Thanks for the reminder about unaccompanied guests.  I guess we need Paul's schedule to see when and if he wants to play there.

Paul, Let me know if I can help.

Hubbs

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 03:17:31 PM »
This is a total thread-jack but I wish I had the nickname "Hubbs". It's just catchy, I guess.

Will - welcome - I hope you have taken all of Brian's money at some point; and do you guys ever give each other the "bird" when you have left the landing area on the hole with the video camera??

Just a question I had while playing that lovely place called RCC. Paul check it out, for sure. A really fun golf course which appears have been made much better since I was there last June thanks to Mr. Mandell.

Will Hubbard

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 03:35:51 PM »
Thanks Tony, it is great to be a llama.  ::) I am more of a lurker than a poster and have been for sometime.  

I flip Mr. Gracely the bird at every opportunity.  Glad you enjoyed RCC, and yes I would love to depth charge that stupid TV monitor.  

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 03:50:10 PM »
Another former RCC member here who says that's the way to go if possible. If you go on the public side, I really liked Heritage Wake Forest. Any of you guys down there play the new DL3 course south of Chapel Hill?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 03:52:24 PM »
Jeff,

I think you're referencing The Preserve at Jordan Lake.  I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good feedback from some friends that have played it.  It does run through a neighborhood, so houses are visible and somewhat in play (for big slices).  Also, it does help if you drive it like DLIII.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:32:45 PM by Sandbox_Gracely »

Allan Long

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 04:12:52 PM »
If you can't get on a private club, and you want to confine your travels to the Raleigh/Durham area, I would say Duke or Heritage would be your best bet. While choices like Tot Hill,  Tobacco Road, Keith Hills etc., may be worth playing, they will be a bit of a hike. Even The Preserve is a bit of a drive, and not the easiest drive to make. If you want to play a better DL III course, play Anderson Creek (about an hour from RDU).

While Duke's conditioning may be an issue, it is a much better layout than Finley. I've played both more than a dozen times, and although Finley always seems to be in great shape, I find
it rather boring.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:15:59 PM by Allan_Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

mikes1160

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 04:19:20 PM »
Jeff,

In regards to the Preserve, it's a mixed bag - as Mr. Gracely mentions, it does go through a housing tract, and several holes are badly compromised. The par 3s are interesting and some great par 4s. A great opening hole and a disappointing finishing hole. Nowhere near the Barefoot course or even Anderson Creek near Fayetteville, IMHO

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 11:33:22 PM »
All I know is that I liked DL3 much more before he started wearing those stupid trucker hats. Who does he think he is? Aston Kucher?

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 08:35:12 AM »
Not to jack the thread, but why are all you guys leaving Raleigh Country Club?  RCC has made some stong improvements to the practice area and course.  Just curious.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »
All I know is that I liked DL3 much more before he started wearing those stupid trucker hats. Who does he think he is? Aston Kucher?

He's a southern boy, born and raised, who hunts wild boars, fishes, and rides Harleys.  Those caps are fine with us.
In fact, as soon as I get off work today, I'm going to the local John Deere dealer to get a new hat for my club championship tournament this weekend, so get off DLIII. :)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 08:51:46 AM »

I don't know about golfers wearing trucker hats, but I draw the line at truckers wearing Nike mock-tees and Footjoys.

LOL in Georgia!  Excellent!

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 10:00:29 AM »
Not to jack the thread, but why are all you guys leaving Raleigh Country Club?  RCC has made some stong improvements to the practice area and course.  Just curious.

Have you heard that alot of the current membership is leaving?  I thought things had gotten much more stable since Mr. McConnell took over.

I'm not sure about others, but my decision was strictly financial.  Without going into the details (as it's private club business), the costs of dues and my limited amount of play with new baby had basically taken the costs of my rounds into Pebble Beach territory.

Mr.McConnell has done an excellent job in getting the club and course cleaned up and brought to the level expected by a country club.  The atmosphere is a little too stuffy for my tastes (although RCC used to be VERY casual...which I loved), but people generally expect more service for the costs.  My brother is still a member and I don't turn down an invitiation to play with him.  

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 10:04:51 AM »
All right, I'll lay off DL3. I guess I don't see how the trucker hat really fits in with his otherwise very classy-looking Polo clothes.

And Bryan, I'm a former RCC member because I live in Minneapolis now. As good as the course and the weather are in Raleigh, a really good job and pull to be close to family won.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back