News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Ireland/St. Patricks/The Golfer mag
« on: July 26, 2002, 11:09:41 AM »
The current issue of THE GOLFER, that slick coffee table mag, has a photo article on the "Hidden Gems" golf courses of Ireland. Most of the courses (Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, etc.) in the article I do recognise. The only one that stumps me is called St. Patricks, a 36-hole club in Donegal, near a town called Carrick(?).
I have been to Ireland twice on golf trips and have several books covering all the courses in Ireland. St. Patricks does not show up in any of my sources. Does anyone know about this golf club? Is it brand new? Is it for real?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Johnny B

Re: Ireland/St. Patricks/The Golfer mag
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 05:15:57 PM »
David,
I have played St Patricks. It consists of 36 links holes adjacent to Rosapenna. One 18 was designed by Eddie Hackett (the last course he designed before he died - the 16th is named Hackett's last sod) and the other 18 was designed by a lady from Donegal - I think her first name is Joanne. The courses are very rough and although through spectacular land and with some very interesting holes there does not seem to be enough money to spend to bring them up to a reasonable playing standard.  They could be wonderful links with a suitable architects hand and some money.  I will have another look at the courses in August and report back.

Johnny Browne

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 06:07:16 PM »
Johnny B,
Thanks for your response. So St. Patricks is near Carrigart, not Carrick (down near Killybegs). When were these 2 courses built and opened for play? Sounds like they are relatively new. I drove thru Donegal on my way to play in the Bushmills Causeway Coast in 1994. The only course I got to play in Donegal was Narin & Portnoo, which I really enjoyed. With these courses and the new course at Ballyliffin, it looks like northern Donegal has a lot of golf to offer. I hope they get enough play to survive and prosper.  

JOhnny B

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 03:28:18 AM »
David,
Courses built about 8 years ago - a lot of planning and environmental issues. Green fees purchased at Carrigart Hotel. Amazing potential. Courses back up to Rosapenna course.  Narin and Portnoo is wonderful links golf - I am a country member there - you are right Donegal is becoming an excellent golf location - Narin and Portnoo, Donegal (murvagh), Ballyliffen x 2, Rosapenna, St Patricks, Cruit Island, Port Salon and Rosses Point not far away.
Regards, JOhnny Browne

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 02:46:34 PM »
Thought I would bring this topic back up to the top of the list for a try to see if anyone has been here within the last few months.  

I had the chance to walk the course in July 01.  The place is fantastic although it is in desperate need of a knowlegeagble green superintendent, the greens were unplayable due to disease and lack of water the prior summer.  The Hacket course is quite long and dramatic on true links turf.  The smaller course designed by a female associate of Hacket is quite nice but not a destination course due to lack of length.

By the way I plan to keep bringing this topic up until we get an update.  I am not going to be obnoxious (for a change) but you will see it every 6 months or so...
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sean_A

Re:Ireland/St. Patricks/The Golfer mag
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:46:34 AM »
Does anybody know if St. Patrick's has improved or is it status quo?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Andy Doyle

Re:Ireland/St. Patricks/The Golfer mag
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 08:39:27 AM »
No mention of any work or anything new on their web site:

http://www.carrigarthotel.com/

AD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back