News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Re:Merion Today
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
I'm interested in the play of the bunkers.  They appear from TV to be cavernous pits with jagged edges.  Are any of them difficult to climb into or out of?  The style of those I can see on television looks familiar to me.  (I am well aware of the  the mammoth threads a few years ago, and am not looking to start another one, but I am curious about the depth and construction of the bunkers, as well as ingress and egress).  Thanks.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

JSlonis

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2005, 04:59:34 PM »
Jeff,

Many of the bunkers are quite deep, and there certainly are a few that are difficult to step in and out of.

As far as the playablity...they look like they're playing great.  I saw a lot of quality shots from the bunkers yesterday.  If you have a bunker shot to a hole location that is slightly uphill, then you can get the ball close.  If you happen to be in the many bunkers that leave you with a downhill or sidehill recovery shot, you are in deep trouble.

With the cooler weather, it appears as if the greens are firming up nicely. :o  Let the games begin!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2005, 05:06:06 PM »
Anyone know how Kyle Riefers is doing? I know he is playing the medalist, but he is a Walker Cup member so I know he is pretty good. Anyway, he is the son of a friend of mine.

Jim,

Kyle just birdied 17 to go 1 UP!! James Lepp is no slouch, besides being the medalist and 2005 NCAA Champion, he has won an event on the Canadian Tour (by 6 shots), the Pacific Coast Amateur, 2 Canadian Juniors and 3 British Columbia Amateurs. He certainly knows how to win, but has never fared tremendously well in the Canadian Amateur (also match play). Perhaps medal play is his forte.

TK

igrowgrass

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
James Lepp is a Canadian legend in some regards a few summers back, he played ten rounds in 3 different tournaments and compiled a total of 56 under par.  He survived his scare today.  He has an ability to make birdies at will it seems.  I saw him shoot 63 at Caves Valley to force a playoff and win the NCAA title.  Survive and advance, is what he did today.  Getting a scare early on can help you get things figured out real fast.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2005, 09:40:42 PM »
JSlonis,

Very good and great amateurs playing in the USGA Amateur don't forget about speed, especially on a sloped green.

I can see three putts, a once in a blue moon four putt, but, a five putt ?   Four putting from 8 feet ?

That's more a reflection on the golf course and the conditions than the players.

TEPaul,

I saw wedges ricocheting off greens like they were Kevlar
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:49:12 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

TEPaul

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2005, 10:30:48 PM »
Lepp beat Reifers in an exciting back nine match. Good to great shots boths ways and mistakes too but not on the same hole.

Lepp won the match on the 19th with an excellent tee to green set up strategic birdie.

In my opinion, if Lepp keeps playing the way he has been through qualifying and today he is the man to beat in the US Amateur.

I was out there much of the day today with Mark Rowlinson (from England) and Mark paid Lepp a fine European golf compliment---he said on the 18th hole--"That man does not "hang about""----meaning Lepp is one of the fastest players you will find.

I must also say that on #17 Reifers hit a remarkable tee shot  (into a significant wind he hit an iron (really not enough club for him). He hit it about two feet from 240 yards using the topography perfectly).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 05:55:52 AM by TEPaul »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2005, 10:38:32 PM »
Lepp did not advance to the match play portion of the Canadian Amateur last week, perhaps that is fuelling the fire for his stellar play.

TK

TEPaul

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2005, 06:13:46 AM »
"TEPaul,
I saw wedges ricocheting off greens like they were Kevlar."

Well then Pat I guess you saw some wedge shots from players who just don't have the talent that medalist James Lepp has. I saw him hit a number of wedges that had wonderful control on the greens, probably the finest of them all his wedge shot on the 19th hole. The pin was about five steps from the right bunker. Lepp took it just past hole high between the bunker and pin, checked it, and sucked it back slightly and to the left about two feet right underneath the pin to birdie and win the overtime match.

In my opinion, Merion is set-up and playing just about perfect right now---Matt Shaeffer has nailed the IMM for a US Amateur.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:16:18 AM by TEPaul »

ForkaB

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2005, 06:34:26 AM »
I'm rooting for Ryan Yip.  I've been there...... :'(

TEPaul

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2005, 06:37:26 AM »
"JSlonis,
Very good and great amateurs playing in the USGA Amateur don't forget about speed, especially on a sloped green.
I can see three putts, a once in a blue moon four putt, but, a five putt ?  Four putting from 8 feet ?
That's more a reflection on the golf course and the conditions than the players."

Pat:

Holes #5, 12 and 15 are all very dangerous to putt and they've been that way for years. The competitors in the US Am should and obviously do know that by now. You certainly could five putt a hole like #12 if you lose your concentration. If you leave an approach above that hole or hole high on either side you're chances of three putting are pretty good. But there's a definite right way to play that hole---eg get the ball directly under the hole but not too far under it (or it will come off the green). James Lepp left his approach directly under the hole about 20 feet yesterday and ran it right in for birdie. To get his approach directly under yesterday's hole took a controlled wedge that flirted with the excellent diagonal of the right green side bunker.

One could certainly say, as you did, that Fortin Simard's five putt on #12 shows what's wrong with the course or that hole but Lepp yesterday showed why the hole is so brilliant.

Some of the younger players in the tournament are saying the young talent to really watch is 18 year old Bryan Harman. I hope I see him today. Yesterday James Lepp sure was an impressive shot-maker in spots.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:40:49 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2005, 07:31:51 AM »
TEPaul,

Did that young golfer from Nebraska who lost in the finals of the Nebraska State Amateur at Wild Horse make it to the tournament, and if so, did you chat with him ?

What would  you say is the percentage of irons hit off of the tees ?

Shouldn't # 4 be widened as well ?

David_Tepper

« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2005, 07:42:14 AM »
TEPaul -

Brian Harman is indeed a talent to watch. I saw him play a few holes in the USGA Junior at the Olympic Club last summer. Although he lost in the quarter-finals (I think), he was the class of the field, as he was medalist by at least 5 shots (could have been more). There were 5 sub-par rounds on the Lake Course in the qualifying and he shot 2 of them.

He is rather small, sort of Corey Pavin-sized. It will be interesting to see how good a golfer he becomes.

DT

Keith Durrant

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2005, 07:47:10 AM »
Nice story about fellow competitor Saltman switching to caddy for Oliver Fisher. How good is he, for a 16 yr old?!

http://www.usamateur.org/news/wc_williams_wed.html

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2005, 08:32:30 AM »
Keith how good is Oliver Fisher at 16?
I’m sure many on this site have seen prodigies like this before who didn’t fulfill  their talent but the signs for Oliver are as good as they can be.

Locally there’s been a real buzz about him since he came third in the Essex county championship at the age of 14.  He was lucky to compete at that level against a couple of kids who were a bit older and made it into the England set up  (Lloyd Kennedy and Tommy Hunter).  Lat year at 15 he won the county championships as the youngest winner taking the record previously held by Michael Bonallack.  He also won the Lagonda trophy one of the most prestigious GB&I amateur cups.

This year he’s had strong showings in a couple of biggies – lost in the semi final of the British Amateur to the eventual winner.  At the Walker Cup he played one of the best US players in the singles and got a win and a draw, at 16 he was the youngest ever competitor. (True he lost both his doubles but word from the camp is that his partner was having a crises of confidence, with Peter McAvoy having to ask other coaches to look at his swing, as David Ledbetter didn’t show or send a deputy.)

That bit on the US amateur site about him being like the big easy is b********, and I hope lazy journalist's don’t just copy that.   He has a compact swing (think Luke Donald) and is a really straight hitter (not the longest or shortest hitter) with a strong short game – should suit Merion.  For a 16 year old it’s his temperament and character that really impresses.  He’s a really calm character who takes things as they come (maybe a bit like Ells).  He’s a really likeable kid, can hold a conversation but is quietly self assured – pretty cool for 16 year with all that attention.

Next time there’s a thread about Michelle Wie I’ll post what I know about the pressure these guys are under with the attention they generate. Faldo, Nike, Harman, EGU etc.  all have his number and are making him big promises.

Oliver has just left school and considers he’s too young to go to college in the states (yet).  He said before the walker cup he wanted to play in at least the next two, but now he’ll really be getting really serious offers.  Today I think it’s the oldest vs. the youngest and it won’t be his temperament that lets him down.  He’s a great lad and I really hope he continues developing because he has the potential to go all the way.  As I said I’ve never been this close to a teenage phenom before so you just have to conclude it’s going to be really interesting seeing how it pans out.

Last year I read an article said the current generation  would never really be able to get to Tiger because in their heads they were already beaten and that we needed to look to the next generation for players who can take him on…………..

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2005, 08:33:26 AM »
As Ran hasn’t profiled Merion does anyone know of any links to photo’s of the course?

RE Blanks

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2005, 08:45:10 AM »
tony

try www.archgolf.net
some very good pictures here including Merion

TEPaul & Tepper
I played with Brian Harman last week and he is a very impressive player.  the first thing that strikes you is his size.   Not a very long player but he plays with precision.   Someone asked me about his short game and I could not remember him missing any greens and hitting any chips or pitchs.  he was seeing the course for the first time and seemed to know where to hit the ball on every hole.  

Jim Nugent

« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
tony

try www.archgolf.net
some very good pictures here including Merion

TEPaul & Tepper
I played with Brian Harman last week and he is a very impressive player.  the first thing that strikes you is his size.   Not a very long player but he plays with precision.   Someone asked me about his short game and I could not remember him missing any greens and hitting any chips or pitchs.  he was seeing the course for the first time and seemed to know where to hit the ball on every hole.  

RE, can´t get the link to work.  

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2005, 09:23:48 AM »
Glad I'm not the  only one, my technological ineptitude has been highlighted on here before!

RE Blanks

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2005, 09:30:27 AM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:30:58 AM by RE Blanks »

John_Cullum

« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »
Tom Paul

It seemed awfully difficult to stop a ball on the 18th Green. Is the IMM a little off here?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Sean Leary

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2005, 01:27:16 PM »
How much more difficult is Merion playing this week due to the recently added length.  Obviously length isn't the issue there at 6800 yards but how much different would the scores have been at the old yardage ?(If this has been addressed before, I apologize)

Sean Leary

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2005, 01:38:10 PM »
One more question,

When they last played the Open at Merion in '81, did they use the baskets, or did the USGA put in flags?  The baskets are so freakin cool..

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
The baskets, were most certainly used.

Jason Topp

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
Incidentally, how great is it that a guy still in it is named "Yip."

Jason Mandel

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
George Zahringer is 2 up through 9 in the 3rd round.  I think he has to be the story of the tournament so far.

I watched Zahringer play a couple of years ago at Wilmington during the mid-am and he is nothing but a gentleman.  You can't help but root for him.

I think he's at least 52 now and for him to be doing what hes doing against these young guys is incredible.

If he gets through this day of 36 holes he could have a real shot.  
Jason
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:10:01 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back