News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

A Fun Little Hole
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:21:59 AM »
I think this is a fun little hole .

I just wish the mens tee was pushed up a little . Its 139 yards from the green which makes it semi-blind to me .

Just that awkward height where you stupidly have to jump up and down to see it land .

The photo is taken from the Ladies Tee .

I would presume most people have only seen the hole from the back of the green ? .

RJ_Daley

Re:A Fun Little Hole
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »
It looks like it might be fun if after one hits their tee ball, and a train is going by, to try and hit a few shag balls into a coal hopper.

Seriously, for a shorty of a drop shot hole, it does look quirky enough to be fun... which is what we seek.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »
...another 'saintly' Fife-shire course, if I'm not mistaken!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 01:34:06 PM »
This looks like a lot of fun...every course should have a hole like this one.  It is too bad the mowing pattern on the left is what catches the eye at first.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:46:58 PM »
Brian -

This is exactly the kind of hole I was talking about on the "Who designs really short par-3's" thread which was started a week or so ago on this board. You should post this pix on that thread!

I think hitting your tee shot with a wedge or 9-iron from an elevated tee and watching it hang in the air for what seems like 30 seconds while you are wondering where it will land is one of the most fun moments in a round of golf. This is especially true if you are a mediocre golfer (such as I) who is not liable to hit very many memorable shots in any given round of golf.

DT

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 11:38:57 AM »
Good Spot Mr Bonnar .

Yes , this is the 15th at St.Michael's on the outskirts of St.Andrews .

I am led to believe that the Original nine holes were designed by Tom Morris , but he delegated the construction work to his successor at the Old Course Hugh Hamilton .

I had not made a visit to St.Michaels for over 10 years , and since then an extra 9 holes had been added , which I must admit I wasn't very impressed with .

Definitely would have preferred two rounds on the old stuff .

The other hole you see as you zoom past in the train , is also pretty quirky and interesting .

That is the tee for the 16th on the left of the 15th green , so you must hit over the green and thread it up and over a saddle , hoping you get a good run down the hill , close to the green .

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »
 :o
Odds Bodkins, Brian,
What's with the mowing patterns, the pond, the lush vegetation???
Is St. Mike's trying to accomodate the visiting American golfer or something!?!?!

My, oh my, if even an aged veteran like St. Mike's decides to look like this, whatever next? Why, they'll soon be striping the Old Lady herself....

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 06:31:39 PM »
What's with the mowing patterns, the pond, the lush vegetation???
Is St. Mike's trying to accomodate the visiting American golfer or something!?!?!

I only stopped in to take this photo ... if I new that my namesake was so much like a CCFAD, a should have inquired about a tee time.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:59:56 AM »
David Tepper's comments re hitting a short iron high in the air and waiting for what seems like an eternity for it to come down on a green several feet below you reminded me of the 13th at the Glen Golf Club (the "other" course in North Berwick). There's even less margin for error there than at StMichaels!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back